Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on whether you should buy a new car every few years to avoid depreciation, etc OR just keep driving the older car into the ground or until you actually need another car. I hadn't really thought about it until the missus brought it up yesterday. The Mazda6 is now 3.5 years old, so I'm going to look into what the smarter option could be. What have you done and what do you think?
    I currently own a 2012 Toyota Prado Turbo Diesel. 120k on the clock. I'll be driving it until it stops. Hasn't missed a beat, has travelled mostly highway klms.

Drive a 2011 Hilux Turbo Diesel for work. Just over 200k on the clock, new injectors ($2300) just fitted, it now drives like new. The motor has a new lease on life.
    Last edited by Dazza; 26th April 2017 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    This is as good a thread as any to mine for this question...

I have some family coming over to visit for an extended period at the end of the year and they'd be looking to hire a car. At 47 days, it leads to some pretty high quotes from the usual suspects rental company websites such as Hertz, Budget, Europcar, etc. A family car looks like being $2000 based on what I've seen so far.

I was wonder if there are any other options that would work out cheaper - maybe less of a long term rental and more of a short term lease? I'd be happy to put it in my name so long as they were able to drive it...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-other-automotive/sa/car+rental/k0c18461l3008842?sort=rank

o
    r

Pennywise Car Rentals $30 per day approx. What that includes, dunno?
    Last edited by wazamac; 26th April 2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Don't think we've owned a car yet they hasn't gone to a wreckers when it got replaced.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Member Teaching Pro

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    This is as good a thread as any to mine for this question...

I have some family coming over to visit for an extended period at the end of the year and they'd be looking to hire a car. At 47 days, it leads to some pretty high quotes from the usual suspects rental company websites such as Hertz, Budget, Europcar, etc. A family car looks like being $2000 based on what I've seen so far.

I was wonder if there are any other options that would work out cheaper - maybe less of a long term rental and more of a short term lease? I'd be happy to put it in my name so long as they were able to drive it...
    I would be buying a cheap car and re-selling after they are done with it. If you shop smart you could even make a couple of dollars!

Senior Member Major Winner

+1
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

OK, so how do we feel about the Honda Jazz? My daughter isn't far off getting her first car and atm, these are about the only one she wants. I've always had the belief that Honda's are in general good cars, but wondering how people feel about these? It's the only one she wants to get cause she wants to be be Jas in a Jazz...........

I don't care as long as they're good enough. Based on how much money will be aside by purchase time, I reckon we're looking at say 2007 to 2010........

Any other recommendations for a good kids car about that sort of age. I'm thinking we'll be somewhere in the 8k price range (assuming she works as much of xmas as she expects)
    Last edited by goughy; 3rd November 2017 at 07:54 AM.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

A Jazz or a Mazda 2 would be my short list for that era. Both are popular girls cars. The Koreans are good now, but were still a little so so 8 to 10 year ago.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I found Honda's part tend to be ridiculously priced when I had my old Civic...
    A Toyota Echo as my runner car for a few years, and was pretty reliable, and gas efficient.

I have a family friend with a Toyota Yaris of about that age who thinks it is one of the best small cars they have ever owned.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Yeah, I'm more open to more options, but Jas wants a Jazz!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Fussy kids. Jas in a Yaris still has a bit of a ring to it.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Member Teaching Pro

OK, so how do we feel about the Honda Jazz? My daughter isn't far off getting her first car and atm, these are about the only one she wants. I've always had the belief that Honda's are in general good cars, but wondering how people feel about these? It's the only one she wants to get cause she wants to be be Jas in a Jazz...........

I don't care as long as they're good enough. Based on how much money will be aside by purchase time, I reckon we're looking at say 2007 to 2010........

Any other recommendations for a good kids car about that sort of age. I'm thinking we'll be somewhere in the 8k price range (assuming she works as much of xmas as she expects)
    We had a 2005 Jazz Vti-S in automatic and also my wife's grandmother has one of a similar age. I think Honda recommend 80,000km transmission services but quite a lot of people in know recommend to do 40,000km services as the CVT's do tend to be a bit picky with their fluids.

The back seats fold to make a perfectly flat cargo area which makes them extremely practical if you like to cart big things in little cars. I have not driven the 1.3l engined models, but the 1.5l engine is quite a nice little unit and is quite fuel efficent.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if my daughter wanted one!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Absolutely TERRIBLE if/when she is in an accident. A friends little sister had a 2009 Jazz and was rear ended in traffic and pushed into the car infront (50k speed zone) it honestly looked like it had been run over by a monster truck it was crumpled that bad!!!

If i had a daughter she would NOT be driving a Jazz because of the above put it that way...
    "SHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by grandmasterb View Post
    Absolutely TERRIBLE if/when she is in an accident. A friends little sister had a 2009 Jazz and was rear ended in traffic and pushed into the car infront (50k speed zone) it honestly looked like it had been run over by a monster truck it was crumpled that bad!!!

If i had a daughter she would NOT be driving a Jazz because of the above put it that way...
    They rate highly through Ancap.

Any small car like that will crumble.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by grandmasterb View Post

How was she?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratin...da/jazz/d49405

4 star rating ANCAP for that vintage. Would have been 5 star rating if it weren't for the lack of ESC. These are highly regulated safety ratings and there's a reason why your friend's little sister walked away from the wreck.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

That feeling after a big big nights drinking you head out to your car only to find it has been broken into!
    Glove box shit strewn everywhere.
    Idiots tho left an IPad, two laptops and a new Garmin watch in the back of the Pathfinder.

Dumb arses

So since I know so little about buying cars.....
    what does it mean when a car seems too good a deal from a dealer? Found one on carsales that seems a grand or two cheaper than anything remotely similar? Prior crash? And how much of an issue would that be? Get racq to check it? Not a lot of rego. Body and interior looks great on pics.
    https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...AG-AD-15337237
    Don't wanna enquire through there till I'm sure it might be a go'er.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

114,000 kms. Might need the timing done on it which could be expensive.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Call the dealer. Ask why its cheaper. If he gives you a straight answer, check the car out. If he sounds shady or doesn't want to talk about it, save yourself the effort.

Put the salesmen on the spot, then reward the honest guys

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    114,000 kms. Might need the timing done on it which could be expensive.
    Something to think of. Though most of the cars we'll be looking at will probably be in the vicinity of these sort of K's. Might ring my mechanic and get an idea of cost off them.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

So since I know so little about buying cars.....
    what does it mean when a car seems too good a deal from a dealer? Found one on carsales that seems a grand or two cheaper than anything remotely similar? Prior crash? And how much of an issue would that be? Get racq to check it? Not a lot of rego. Body and interior looks great on pics.
    https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...AG-AD-15337237
    Don't wanna enquire through there till I'm sure it might be a go'er.
    1. It is a Wholesale deal, no warranty included. Though you can purchase one.

2. Hard to say without a physical inspection. You would really need to get a full RACQ type inspection to be sure.

3. There will be a forum somewhere that will list the common problems with this model.

4. The Jazz has been around since 2001/2, so you would think they would have sorted most of the issues out by 2009. But they did do a major model change in 2009, so it might be one of the early one the 2nd series?

5. 114k is about average for an 8 year old car. Hopefully the owner manual might give you a indication of what sort of driving it has done?

The question is whether it is worth the drive to the Gold Coast to have a look at it?

Be aware also that Honda Jazz's are subject to the Takata Airbag recall. Any Jazz you look at, it should be your very first question. Has it been done? There is a huge waiting list as I understand it. Takata went belly up, and supply is a limiting factor in how quickly it can be done. I have heard that some have been told it will be years.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/new...lian-consumers

Hadn't thought of the airbag thing. Seems at least every model up to 2012 for the Jazz.

For the amount of Jazz's we see on the road, we don't find that many for sale.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Dealers won’t discount a vehicle due to it being in a prior crash. This is not something they advertise.

Are all the others you were comparing manual?

Check with Google, but I think Hondas use a timing chain.

Don’t enquire on vehicles unless you are genuinely interested, Carsales enquiries cost the dealers $$. Alternatively, use CarsGuide.com.au, 90% of used CS stock and the location of the vehicle is shown.

Thread Information