Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Dealers won’t discount a vehicle due to it being in a prior crash. This is not something they advertise.

Are all the others you were comparing manual?

Check with Google, but I think Hondas use a timing chain.

Don’t enquire on vehicles unless you are genuinely interested, Carsales enquiries cost the dealers $$. Alternatively, use CarsGuide.com.au, 90% of used CS stock and the location of the vehicle is shown.
    JC, am I correct that you can order a car history report that will detail any major crash history?

Here is a similarly priced 2011 Jazz with same mileage but with dealer warranty;

https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-fo...c8234edc5#pos0

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Yeah, I'm loath to ask just questions on carsales. Found our last car on there, but recognised the dealer and went straight there. Thanks for the hint on carsguide, did't know of it. Not that I look for cars often (only bought 3 in 40something years).

Only looking at manuals as we believe it's a basic skill all should know.

Was thinking the one I liked was a bit of a deal, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe should wait a bit longer and either grab the real steal, or see what comes along. Once I get in the mindset to get something I get a bit gungho!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    JC, am I correct that you can order a car history report that will detail any major crash history?

Here is a similarly priced 2011 Jazz with same mileage but with dealer warranty;

https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-fo...c8234edc5#pos0
    A PPSR check costs about $10 and will cover financial interests, write off history, stolen vehicles.

Well worth it.

The QLD wholesaler is trading under a Dealer license, so the same stat warranty should apply as it would at a dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Yeah, I'm loath to ask just questions on carsales. Found our last car on there, but recognised the dealer and went straight there. Thanks for the hint on carsguide, did't know of it. Not that I look for cars often (only bought 3 in 40something years).

Only looking at manuals as we believe it's a basic skill all should know.

Was thinking the one I liked was a bit of a deal, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe should wait a bit longer and either grab the real steal, or see what comes along. Once I get in the mindset to get something I get a bit gungho!
    I too am a fan of manuals, feel much more in control. That’s a result of growing up in Canada and driving in the snow.

If you really like one, check it out. If it’s the cheapest or a good deal, chances are you are not the only person looking at that vehicle.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

A PPSR check costs about $10 and will cover financial interests, write off history, stolen vehicles.

Well worth it.

The QLD wholesaler is trading under a Dealer license, so the same stat warranty should apply as it would at a dealership.
    Yeah, I re-read the Wholesaler Ad and it did say it came with a Warranty.

From what Dr Google can tell me, the Jazz does have a Timing Chain. But it is supposed to be a Life Time part, not subject to scheduled replacement. The Owner Service manual should be able to confirm that.

At the end of the day, buying an older car will come with risks.

If you choose a reputable dealer, the chances are you will get a decent vehicle.

If dealers find a car that they don’t want on their lot due to something they perceive as being a risk, they’ll move the vehicle on themselves to a smaller yard.

Dealers try and minimise the exposure that they have to warranty issues and selling a bad vehicle that is governed by a stat warranty can leave them exposed to big repair bills.

You are better off buying from a dealer as opposed to privately as you get the small amount of protection the stat warranty provides.

Thanks for keeping the chatter going guys! I'm learning
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Happy to help where I can.

A lot of people have the perception that dealers know about certain issues with the vehicles when they sell them. For a reputable lot, this would in most instances be the furthest thing from the case.

If you show up to a place and the alarm bells go off about the place, trust your instincts. You want someone that will be approachable and easy to deal with should work be required under warranty.

Clikchic's keen on a private one now. We'll see what happens...
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Ok, don't know if this is a stupid question or not? The few times we've bought cars have been with bank cheques. Is that safer than cash or really no different and should we just get the moolah?

But sounds keen to sell, clikchic and little chic are keen to buy. RACQ liked it, only tyre tread is on the low side but I can try and negotiate on that. But we can't look at it till Wednesday night and the chicks wanna just take it if we're happy, rather than another 4 hour round trip on the weekend. He's still gotta get the plates changed and he hadn't got a safety certificate yet, but guess he can organise one before we get down.
    I don't like spending money....
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Do a PPSR check before you handover anything. Make sure it’s not encumbered or been written off.

There is no warranty with a private sale.

Yep, that's done and all good.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

And the deed is done. Was a bloody nice little car at a good price so we now have it and a very happy daughter. Things tried to be a pain for us yesterday. When clikchic went out to get the bank cheque, our banks system went down nationally and they couldn't issue us one. They couldn't give us more than $500 each at a branch and couldn't adjust our atm withdrawal limit so we could each get more than $1k out of an atm/day. The branch people worked out if we between the three of us if we withdrew the $1k ea from their atm, then visited 4 different branches we could get the required cash out for it! Friggin hell....... Then while she was out one of my customers turned up to pick up a job and unbeknownst to me they turned up with a big wad of cash, so with 6 withdrawals from the atm (since we can only take a max of $800 per withdrawal) we had $65 more than needed for the car. Bloody good timing.....
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Saw a pretty little yellow Peugeot 306 convertible the other week. My daughter fell in love with it a bit. We then went home and did the logic thing of is this safe and watched a youtube video of one being flipped. Hell no! Death trap!

Given she's on her L plates and recently went through a roundabout sideways due to lift off oversteer (with me in the passenger seat going along for the ride) all of a sudden she's more interested in driving safely.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Keen on the Kia Soul even though no one else in Australia is. Had a good talk with the saleman at Kia who after getting to know me suggested the "R" model.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Keen on the Kia Soul even though no one else in Australia is. Had a good talk with the saleman at Kia who after getting to know me suggested the "R" model.
    Get a good price as they are getting old now, and are an orphan of sorts. Your resale if you choose to sell will be awful.

My Sportage GT Line turbo diesel is getting towards 2 years old now, and has no rattle, squeaks and feels solid.

An issue with the collision avoidance system alarms was resolved under warranty, where Kia Australia supplied me a free car for a week whilst they diagnosed the problem, the first time it had been reported in Australia.

My Kia experience has been a very good one.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Looking at the specs, fuel economy I thought would have been better for a 4 pot rice burner.

I get about the same for my V6 Sorento.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Just past my 75th birthday, so my driving future will be limited, so decided it was time for a change. I have been driving a X Type Jaguar for the last few years which I have been happy with. The only problem was I could get two Clickgear bugys and one bag in the boot, but the other bag had to go on the back seat. I pick up my new car tomorrow, which is an XF Jaguar ( yes I like Jags) which has a lot bigger boot which should take buggy's and both bags, 😁😁😁

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

The XF is a great car, drove one for my sisters wedding. The wife has an XType, the 3.0 AWD model. Awesome car. the stinky golf stuff is not allowed near it!

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

OK, so looking for a car for Kyan now. So what sort of K's are acceptable in older cars? Less than 20k/year over it's age? He's keen on a 2008 Lancer that has 230k on the clock. But it's less than $5k. Would either get an racq inspection, or taken to our mechanics for a check over.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

So, so many variables there.

As a general rule, beyond 100,000km I would take a 250,000km car with a solid service history over a 150,000km car with oil that looks like squid ink and silver glitter.
    It's also dependent on the design and reliability of the engine, as well. For example, I bought my LandBarge with 290,000km on it and it now has 350,000 and runs as good as any brand new motor, with oil that comes out nice and caramel after every service. However, even if the engine is well engineered and well looked after, everything hanging off it has been spinning for 290,000km as well. So think alternators, air conditioning compressors, radiators, water pumps and so forth. I have replaced all of these in my Land Cruiser as well.

That said, our 2010 Mazda3 (which we have owned since new) runs like a dream still and is approaching 170,000km I think. Considering it's entire life is bumper to bumper runs to and from the city, I am happy with that.

The used car market is very low stocked at the moment due to new car supply shortage.

Manufacturer dealerships are keeping older vehicles to partially cover the shortfall - they’d normally pass these vehicles down to the small independent dealers.

The vehicles that the small guys are getting through the auctions are the complete bottom of the barrel at the moment, or it is something that they’ve sourced privately.

I’d be wary of anything that has been online for a while as if it were a decent car or at a decent price, a wholesaler or dealer would have already purchased it.

It would be worth paying for a mechanical inspection before pulling the trigger.

Yeah, with the k's I'd try and get our mechanics to look at it. It's a private sale that only listed last night.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Yeah, with the k's I'd try and get our mechanics to look at it. It's a private sale that only listed last night.
    In that case, move quickly.

The person would have dealers trying to lowball and buy it is soon as it was listed most likely.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

In that case, move quickly.

The person would have dealers trying to lowball and buy it is soon as it was listed most likely.
    I did some research after buying mine.

It had originally been listed on FB Marketplace for $3k more than I paid.

So the dealer must have bought it, detailed, relisted and put his margin on. And then sold to me.

I assume a $2k margin, as the Canberra market was cooked after last year we lost 35000 cars in one hailstorm

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Thread Information