Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    I test drove the Hyundai Tucson (FWD petrol) this week and looked at the very similar Kia Sorenta. I had low expectations, but they're pretty well equipped and nice enough to drive for around $30k new with huge warranties. The petrol engine is a bit doughy, but this would be the wife's car and only for around town stuff.

Like Daves said above, I prefer wagons and didn't really see the fascination with a high riding soft-roader. They are very roomy though and the slightly higher seat height is a nice thing for visibility etc. There's a new CX-5 due out early next year. New shape and tech, but same engines. I think we'll hold off til mid-year, assuming Shrek the Pajero lasts keeps going til then....
    The diesel is the one to go for BV... really good . 136kW and 400Nm of torque.

Wife's got the ix35 diesel and loves it. We will likely get the diesel Tucson when it's lease is up.

Read here :http://www.themotorreport.com.au/621...FYKXvAodo_AAOA
    Last edited by TourFit; 24th November 2016 at 11:19 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Looking at Tuscon's on carsales, there are 0 listed dated between 2010 and 2014! They're all sub 2009 or 2016.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Looking at Tuscon's on carsales, there are 0 listed dated between 2010 and 2014! They're all sub 2009 or 2016.
    They changed the name for a few years didn't they? It was called the i35 for the missing period I think.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    They changed the name for a few years didn't they? It was called the i35 for the missing period I think.
    yep

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Ahhhhhhhhh! I didn't realise they were the same vehicle.... haven't looked close enough at that! And I was about to say there seem to be a few of these ix35's around that seem nice and I think will fit into our age and price range! Doofus.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Just in case you don't know, the Hyundai ix35 and the Kia Sportage are essentially the same vehicle, as is the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento.

Basically they are the same chassis, running gear (with some slight mods between the two) and engines. Just different body panels etc

Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    The diesel is the one to go for BV... really good . 136kW and 400Nm of torque.

Wife's got the ix35 diesel and loves it. We will likely get the diesel Tucson when it's lease is up.

Read here :http://www.themotorreport.com.au/621...FYKXvAodo_AAOA
    Agreed, the little diesels are much punchier in these heavy little SUV's. Trouble with them is that they run DPF's which don't like continual stop-start, short trip city driving. A diesel suits our 4WD wagon, as it gets lots of big trips to clean out the soot, but for a purely city car I think we'll stick with petrol.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

A little heads up.

If you decide to send through enquiries, either electronic or phone calls to dealers about any of these through Carsales, each enquiry costs the dealer $43+gst. Super expensive for the yards.

If you get to a point where you want to know where the vehicles are, CarsGuide.com.au has approximately 90% of the dealer stock that Carsales has, and tells you the exact location of the car.

Thanks for the heads up Johnny. I'm mostly using carsales purely to get an idea of what's out there. I'll most likely end up looking locally or in Brissie. At least locally I could get out mechanic to give it a once over.

Btw, they is a great deal for carsales, really crap for the dealers!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thanks for the heads up Johnny. I'm mostly using carsales purely to get an idea of what's out there. I'll most likely end up looking locally or in Brissie. At least locally I could get out mechanic to give it a once over.

Btw, they is a great deal for carsales, really crap for the dealers!
    They make an absolute killing and it costs the dealers dearly.

When it comes to buying privately vs through a dealership, the warranty that you will get through a dealership is the big difference.

Depending on the age of the vehicle, it might only be 3 months, but that can be worth its weight in gold.

Does anyone know of any sites that list the actual boot dimensions of cars? I'm googling but often just finding the litre capacity, and I don't intend filling them up with water!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Does anyone know of any sites that list the actual boot dimensions of cars? I'm googling but often just finding the litre capacity, and I don't intend filling them up with water!
    Boot volume in litres is the standard industry comparative measurement. I can't recall boot dimensions even getting a run in car brochures. As close as you got was whether it would fit a golf bag and clubs cross ways. The long Drivers got, the harder that one was to meet!

What is you short list? The OG collective may be able to give you some measurements.
    Last edited by Daves; 30th November 2016 at 09:19 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Boot volume in litres is the standard industry comparative measurement. I can't recall boot dimensions even getting a run in car brochures. As close as you got was whether it would fit a golf bag and clubs cross ways. The long Drivers got, the harder that one was to meet!
    This is why a smart man takes his golf bag to the car yard

In our case it's a mobility scooter, portable type. It'll fit in anything if we break it down completely, but currently can get away with just removing the battery and seat, then can lift the front end up onto the bumper, then lift the back up and roll it straight in. Ideally I'd like to keep doing things that way as Rob can just barely manage to do it herself, but more so the kids can get it in and out of the car for her. Basically I need 105cm from the back of the rear seat to fit it in. Looking online, the Xtrail has 108cm but the ix35 has under 100. This is not a final requirement for us to make our choice on, but I don't see why we should find something that will work the way we like.

Vehicle wise, I don't care much what it is. All I want is bluetooth (possible voice controls and android auto or apple carplay would be awesome, even gps though we have phones), aircon and big enough. I'll take an suv or a wagon. In my mind I have everything from a commodore to a mondeo, subi's, up to ix35, xtrails, honda's, whatever. Rob really likes the idea of a cx9 but I don't know if I'm gonna find something good enough in our range that's not too old. Plus it's a big car and we don't want a big 4wd or something. Rob has too much trouble getting in and out of them. She likes the little suv's cause the little bit of extra height may make them easier for her to get out of over an standard station wagon.

I don't mind the idea of a mazda 6. The xtrails look ok. A mondeo would be alright I think but Rob has a thing against Fords after a boss kept having issue after issue with his. I'm pretty open minded. I'm thinking something between 2012 and 2014. Sub 20k. Have no idea what sort of k's we should be looking for or what type of engine. I know nothing about that crap. And I'm only assuming we'll get 20k to buy one, but I know that's what I'm happy paying off.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

I will measure up the CX-5 later, but I am pretty sure it won't make a metre depth. As a general rule, a wagon is going to have more of the lateral space you are looking for vs the average midsize SUVs. There are a few "crossovers" that might be a good compromise?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The CX-9s have a huge amount of space, especially with the third row of seats folded down. However, if fuel economy is an issue then I would suggest looking at other options. The 6 cylinder motor, while having plenty of power and great for highway driving, is quite thirsty when it comes to your typical stop-start city driving.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    The CX-9s have a huge amount of space, especially with the third row of seats folded down. However, if fuel economy is an issue then I would suggest looking at other options. The 6 cylinder motor, while having plenty of power and great for highway driving, is quite thirsty when it comes to your typical stop-start city driving.
    When would u go to a city??

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I read an article on space and the xtrails came out on top for the SUVs. I'll try and find it.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

People have got to stop calling these things SUV's - nothing sporty about them.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    When would u go to a city??
    Just because we don't have gangland shootings and police raids every second day doesn't mean Cairns is not a city. We make up for it with the number of ice users living here.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    Just because we don't have gangland shootings and police raids every second day doesn't mean Cairns is not a city. We make up for it with the number of ice users living here.
    Ok u win, City Slicker...

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    I read an article on space and the xtrails came out on top for the SUVs. I'll try and find it.
    I think the Honda CR-V is up there for biggest boot space for that size. Mrs has had a 2007 model since new and its been great.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Goughy

A mate has a Mondeo Wagon as his Sharp rep-mobile. Says it has a massive boot, gets good economy and he actually likes it enough to consider buying one for his wife.

I borrowed a mates XR5 Turbo a few years ago for a weekend away. I was really impressed - ate up the highway miles easy and was easy to drive around Melbourne for a couple of days.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I'm another with a Skoda Octavia RS wagon in diesel. Bought it new and had it just over a year. It's been great. 12 month service was two hundred and something $. Fixed price yearly servicing is good. Coming from Subaru 6 month servicing I am saving heaps.
    Boot space is great. I don't need to take driver out and my golf bag fits easily across the back. I took a cardboard cut out of my bag and buggy to the dealerships I went to. It was great not wasting time looking at cars that weren't going to fit the clubs.
    Apparently resale value is the only downside but that may work for you Goughy. You may get a lot of car for very little money.

I will measure up the CX-5 later, but I am pretty sure it won't make a metre depth. As a general rule, a wagon is going to have more of the lateral space you are looking for vs the average midsize SUVs. There are a few "crossovers" that might be a good compromise?
    As I suspected the CX -5 boot is only about 80cm deep. Most so called SUV's would be under a metre I would reckon. There are a few exceptions like the X Trail and HRV already being mentioned. The X Trail is also the platform basis for a few other family brands so you can throw in the Koleos and the Dualis as possibles.

In Station Wagons/Crossovers you can add;

VW Passat (there is a raised ride height version I think, and it is the sister of the Audi Allroad)
    VW Golf Alltrack
    Skoda Octavia, and the 4 x 4 Scout version
    Subaru Outback

And you should be able to pick up a Commodore Wagon cheap, if you are after lots of space.

Thread Information