Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

The biggest negative for the modern driver is that you can't move the gear level and text at the same time. Though I am sure if they worked on it.....
    Last edited by Daves; 14th November 2016 at 09:02 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

That's what google voice/now is for!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Yeah, but like Bluetooth, how many will actually bother to set it up and use it!

1...... me
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm with mtb! No way you can handle a clutch if you're never driven one! We didn't own a manual when I was learning but got lessons in a manual. I think luckily due to drumming I had a bit of control between my left and right feet. Though when I got my learners the first place my dad took me was the Kmart carpark (closed on Sundays back then). It was in his auto, and the very first thing I did was floor the gas, then floor the brakes. That was the end of the lesson until I'd had an official lesson. Probably didn't help it was in a v8 kingswood.

I was a bit caught out after my first half ironman. A friend and I travelled together and were heading home straight afterwards, but I wasn't in the greatest of shape. She only had an auto licence so I had to do the driving. Wasn't a fun time for me, particularly with the sunburnt back I couldn't lean on the seat back. She certainly wished she could do the driving that day.
    The last time I went back home, we were coming home from the pub and got pulled over by our equivalent of a booze bus.

The driver blew between .05 and .08, which is a 12 hour suspension. The copper was very nice and said that he would let him go if someone else was able to drive.

The only guy that blew under had never driven a manual before. He managed to get it out of the area where we were pulled over and then I worked the pedals with my long legs from the passenger seat the rest of the way.

Was it fun watching him get it out?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Was it fun watching him get it out?
    We were very nervous as we were looking at a towed vehicle if he couldn't!

I think we just about redlined it in second until we were far enough away to lurch into third.

I'm with mtb! No way you can handle a clutch if you're never driven one!.
    first manual 'vehicle' I ever drove was a tractor at Horton Park GC. I jump on and put my foot on the accelerator and the old bloke with me says i had to use the clutch "whats a clutch?"
    so he shows me a big pedal on the left and says something like let that one out slowly and push that one down slowly, and off I went for the rest of the day. After that still didnt know that some cars had a clutch, thought it was just a tractor thing. Still was the most fun I ever had until I took a wrong turn in the Valley.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 15th November 2016 at 01:39 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

So we're gonna look for a car in the new year, maybe a few months from now. What exactly are the things to be looking out for when looking at cars? It's been around 17 years since we last bought one, and have only bought two in the last 25 years anyway!

If I had to pick what would be the perfect car for us, I'd say a Captiva (my sister is on her second) but based on rep, it seems it's a clear 'stay away' from them. Basically some sort of wagon or suv, but not big like a landcruiser/pajero. Thinking of things like the Liberty, Forester (Rob hates these), Octavia, 6, x-trail's, those sorts of things. I usually don't care much about cars as long as they have aircon and the space we need. But I'm starting to feel like it would be nice to have something that doesn't look like a piece of crap. Boot space is a biggie for us as we have Rob's mobility scooter to carry around (smaller portable one), which becomes a bigger issue if we go on a holiday. The magna has a big boot and we fill it to the roof when we go away. May have to consider roof racks and some sort of pod for extra stuff if necessary..... or just not take as much crap.

So any recommendations of cars worthy of a gander? Budget should be in the 15 to 20k range (what I'm happy to repay, could probably do more just do't want to) and clearly not new. Hoping to stick within 4 years old. Anything to be wary of, or things to look out for when looking at cars? If local, I'd think about getting our mechanics to have a gander at it.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

We have started looking for this time next year, the boss likes the CX-5 GT or Akera. I reckon by then end of next year we should be able to get a 2015 model reasonably cheap. No doubt she will change her mind by then ...

The reviews rate the Hyundai Tucson Highlander the best of the SUVs with the luxury bits for that size.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    I agree. I had a Passat wagon before changing over to a dual cab ute and it was once of the best vehicles I have owned.
    Lack of Passat TDI'S meant the new car was another golf, white one this time.

Grant

Sent from Samsung
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Goughy,

I'm not into cars at all, but in the past was sucked in and have owned a few expensive vehicles before seeing the light.

In the last 7 years alone I've driven an Audi S4, Audi A4, Mercedes C250, Mercedes C180, Mitsubishi Triton, VW Passat

About 6 months ago, I got an outrageous quote for some work to be done on my Mercedes and finally threw in the towel. Decided to sell it, and purchase a reliable car, budget $12-15k. Decent size so I can at least take the kids and the golf clubs (bikes maybe) somewhere (wife owns the primary family car - landrover discovery)

I did a bit of research, test drove a few and ended up landing on a Mitsubishi Outlander.

Had 60k on the clock, plenty of space, aircon, put roof racks and a bike rack on the roof. Easily holds multiple sets of clubs. Pretty cheap on fuel and its also a 4WD (not a selling point for me, was just a bonus)

So far, its been great and the first service was cheap and not much seemed like it needed doing.

From one car nuffie to another, this was a decent purchase imo
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    We have started looking for this time next year, the boss likes the CX-5 GT or Akera. I reckon by then end of next year we should be able to get a 2015 model reasonably cheap. No doubt she will change her mind by then ...

The reviews rate the Hyundai Tucson Highlander the best of the SUVs with the luxury bits for that size.
    Petey

The Sportage Platinum is worth looking at if you are looking at Tucsons - same platform, and the Sportage has a 2l TDi is a surprisingly punchy and efficient engine.

After 10000km, we are completely happy with ours. No rattles, no squeaks, no issues.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Yeah Moe, the Outlander is one on my list, but good to hear from a happy owner.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Petey

The Sportage Platinum is worth looking at if you are looking at Tucsons - same platform, and the Sportage has a 2l TDi is a surprisingly punchy and efficient engine.

After 10000km, we are completely happy with ours. No rattles, no squeaks, no issues.
    +1 to this. Our 2013 Sportage Platinum is outstanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Blog Entries

So we're gonna look for a car in the new year, maybe a few months from now. What exactly are the things to be looking out for when looking at cars? It's been around 17 years since we last bought one, and have only bought two in the last 25 years anyway!

If I had to pick what would be the perfect car for us, I'd say a Captiva (my sister is on her second) but based on rep, it seems it's a clear 'stay away' from them. Basically some sort of wagon or suv, but not big like a landcruiser/pajero. Thinking of things like the Liberty, Forester (Rob hates these), Octavia, 6, x-trail's, those sorts of things. I usually don't care much about cars as long as they have aircon and the space we need. But I'm starting to feel like it would be nice to have something that doesn't look like a piece of crap. Boot space is a biggie for us as we have Rob's mobility scooter to carry around (smaller portable one), which becomes a bigger issue if we go on a holiday. The magna has a big boot and we fill it to the roof when we go away. May have to consider roof racks and some sort of pod for extra stuff if necessary..... or just not take as much crap.

So any recommendations of cars worthy of a gander? Budget should be in the 15 to 20k range (what I'm happy to repay, could probably do more just do't want to) and clearly not new. Hoping to stick within 4 years old. Anything to be wary of, or things to look out for when looking at cars? If local, I'd think about getting our mechanics to have a gander at it.
    The recent model X-Trails are brilliant, and the 4wd/all whee drive is a bonus. Heaps of space and just a nice car to drive it decent fuel economy.
    Subaru's are generally anything but fuel efficient (compared to other manufacturer equivalent), and the boxter engine has been known to have issues.
    Skoda's are quality if you can get past the looks of them,
    servicing can be expensive though as they are still a European based vehicle.

IMO, look at things like the Hyundai Tucson, Mazda CX-5/CX-7 (if you can stretch to a good one), or a slightly older Territory. I’ve heard good things about the new Ford Kuga, but unlikely you’ll find one in the range your looking at (too new)

The mitsubishi’s still suffers from their same age old issues, and given you (apparently) like to hold on to your cars, these issue could cost you big money long term (engine rebuilds, valve/cylinder head replacements, gearbox issues)

long and soft

GL: 6011911179

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Having owned multiple Subaru's the build quality is excellent but fuel economy is generally poor compared to other offerings. The Korean manufacturers have also significantly outpaced them in the tech stakes...
    You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!

Quote Originally Posted by bergsey View Post
    Having owned multiple Subaru's the build quality is excellent but fuel economy is generally poor compared to other offerings. The Korean manufacturers have also significantly outpaced them in the tech stakes...
    It also had a big to do with your driving style, Mr Redline.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post

We bought a CX-5 Akera for the better half last year. A year on, and with a recent trip to Sydney under its belt, it has lived up to expectations. It came with loads of safety gear, which was important for us. The alternative was a significantly more expensive C series Merc.

I usually buy 2nd hand, but we got a good price due to our Daughter working at the Dealership. I am sure the other brands are catching up, but Mazda have just done a model update and added even more stuff across the range.

Personally, I would prefer a Wagon/Estate over most SUV offerings. But I can see the attraction of the high driving position to shorter Drivers out there like my Mrs. And the CX-5 drives more like a sedan than most.

I've had my CX-5 for 3.5 years. Mine is only the base model, not the Akera though. That said, it comes with heaps of standard equipment and is a really nice drive. I couldn't be happier with it.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    The biggest negative for the modern driver is that you can't move the gear level and text at the same time. Though I am sure if they worked on it.....
    Wow, It'll change gears for you..???

I think Google assistant might, soon anyway. Google Now is old hat.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post

We have two, I've got an Octavia RS wagon (diesel) and the wife has an older Octavia liftback. Had a diesel Passat before the RS. Have been very happy with all of them.

Yes servicing is dear (particularly if you use a dealer) - I paid $450 for a dealer 45k service last week, but it's the last one before warranty expires so it needed to go to the dealer anyway (they are fixing a bit of an oil leak next week for nothing). But it's only every 15k or 12 months (for me, 12 months, I have only done 35k in mine!) so at that price it's not too bad. Wife has taken hers to the independent mechanic we usually see and only paid around $200 I think, even might have been a bit less, and the only reason it was that dear was because of the expensive synthetic oil they use.

Good cars, I will say that if boot space is important, my Octavia wagon's boot is pretty big but it's a little smaller than the Passat was I think, and the Passat was a little smaller than my VY Commodore wagon was.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

I test drove the Hyundai Tucson (FWD petrol) this week and looked at the very similar Kia Sorenta. I had low expectations, but they're pretty well equipped and nice enough to drive for around $30k new with huge warranties. The petrol engine is a bit doughy, but this would be the wife's car and only for around town stuff.

Like Daves said above, I prefer wagons and didn't really see the fascination with a high riding soft-roader. They are very roomy though and the slightly higher seat height is a nice thing for visibility etc. There's a new CX-5 due out early next year. New shape and tech, but same engines. I think we'll hold off til mid-year, assuming Shrek the Pajero lasts keeps going til then....

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    The recent model X-Trails are brilliant, and the 4wd/all whee drive is a bonus. Heaps of space and just a nice car to drive it decent fuel economy.
    Subaru's are generally anything but fuel efficient (compared to other manufacturer equivalent), and the boxter engine has been known to have issues.

IMO, look at things like the Hyundai Tucson, Mazda CX-5/CX-7 (if you can stretch to a good one), or a slightly older Territory. I’ve heard good things about the new Ford Kuga, but unlikely you’ll find one in the range your looking at (too new)

The mitsubishi’s still suffers from their same age old issues, and given you (apparently) like to hold on to your cars, these issue could cost you big money long term (engine rebuilds, valve/cylinder head replacements, gearbox issues)

You ever turn up somewhere in an X-Trail, but leave in an Outlander Rubes?

Just askin'

Thread Information