Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    There was a thread on here about buying a dual cab I thought.
    Found it
    http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/40972
    Cheers Petey!
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

I had that triton before I got my current Dmax. Wouldn't go anywhere near a triton.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    I had that triton before I got my current Dmax. Wouldn't go anywhere near a triton.
    Problems BITS?
    GolfMap

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

We have a few Tritons in our work fleet, in fact I had one myself for a while. Swapped the POS for a Ford Ranger at first opportunity. They've pretty much black-banned Tritons now, and are buying Rangers/ BT-50s almost exclusively.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    We have a few Tritons in our work fleet, in fact I had one myself for a while. Swapped the POS for a Ford Ranger at first opportunity. They've pretty much black-banned Tritons now, and are buying Rangers/ BT-50s almost exclusively.
    Fair enough, I assumed there had to be a decent reason why they were so much cheaper than the rest.
    GolfMap

BT50/Rangers have a very good rep.

Tritons with the 2.5 diesel are pretty gutless. Ride is harsh, you bounce all over the road. Just a real cheap ute.

Tritons with the 2.5 diesel are pretty gutless. Ride is harsh, you bounce all over the road. Just a real cheap ute.
    , cheers!
    GolfMap

I guess I'll go next.

I've got a 08 Corolla that I've had new since 2009, and have now done 220,000+ km on. Should I keep driving it into the ground or get something newer and with less kms?

There is also the potential that I will be moving within walking distance of work in the next 6 months so will only really need it on the weekends...

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    , cheers!
    I have done 68000 in the DMax so far, no problems and the 3 litre turbo is quite punchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Peppas View Post
    I guess I'll go next.I've got a 08 Corolla that I've had new since 2009, and have now done 220,000+ km on. Should I keep driving it into the ground or get something newer and with less kms?There is also the potential that I will be moving within walking distance of work in the next 6 months so will only really need it on the weekends...Thoughts?
    You've seriously done alot of driving over that time, wow!Get a new one, Corolla engines crap out shortly after 200-250k.

I may as well go too...

Looking to upgrade the 2004 BA XR6. Only has 120,000 clicks on it though so I could probably drive it for another 8 years before striking any trouble.

The range of Large family sedans is absolutely appalling right now, so looking at Utes instead.

Mitsubshi Tritons, yay or nay?

Something along the lines of this...

If I go with a Ute it'd pretty much have to be a dual cab.
    You obviously haven't been getting out of Portland enough if you've only clocked up 120,000 in the 2004 Falcon.

First things first, I think you will struggle to find a dual cab ute in a colour equivalent to the striking Citric Acid colour of your XR6!

As mentioned by others, the Triton doesn't have a great following. They are due to bring out a new model mid year but this is essentially just a bit of an update to the current model, not an all new design. I reckon they would have quite a few of the current model that they would be trying to move on, hence the lower price. They are a pretty basic no nonsense ute which may be fine for a tradie that doesn't really care too much for looks, ride comfort etc, but personally I wouldn't want to be driving one around as a daily commuter. The ride comfort in all dual cabs will be different to the XR6 so it would be worth test driving a few options to see if the slightly harsher ride bothers you at all.
    I deal with resale of vehicles on a daily basis and the Tritons are not very sought after by both retail and trade buyers so that pretty well sums up what the majority of people think of them.

I guess I'll go next.

I've got a 08 Corolla that I've had new since 2009, and have now done 220,000+ km on. Should I keep driving it into the ground or get something newer and with less kms?

There is also the potential that I will be moving within walking distance of work in the next 6 months so will only really need it on the weekends...

Thoughts?
    I think you should get yourself a black Ford Mondeo!

Quote Originally Posted by G.K View Post
    I think you should get yourself a black Ford Mondeo!
    Can you get me one at a good price? Or do you know a certain someone selling one?

You obviously haven't been getting out of Portland enough if you've only clocked up 120,000 in the 2004 Falcon.

First things first, I think you will struggle to find a dual cab ute in a colour equivalent to the striking Citric Acid colour of your XR6!

As mentioned by others, the Triton doesn't have a great following. They are due to bring out a new model mid year but this is essentially just a bit of an update to the current model, not an all new design. I reckon they would have quite a few of the current model that they would be trying to move on, hence the lower price. They are a pretty basic no nonsense ute which may be fine for a tradie that doesn't really care too much for looks, ride comfort etc, but personally I wouldn't want to be driving one around as a daily commuter. The ride comfort in all dual cabs will be different to the XR6 so it would be worth test driving a few options to see if the slightly harsher ride bothers you at all.
    I deal with resale of vehicles on a daily basis and the Tritons are not very sought after by both retail and trade buyers so that pretty well sums up what the majority of people think of them.
    I honestly don't know how people rack up so many K's!? I get to Melbourne 4 or 5 times a year, a 750K round trip plus whatever I do while there. If I need anything I have to go to Warrnambool or Mt Gambier, which are 200K round trips at least half a dozen times a year. Apart form that I suppose work is a 4K round trip and the golf club is an 8K round trip. Don't need or want to go anywhere else. (Well, I rarely want to go to work or golf either but that's beside the point.)

Unfortunately I've resigned myself to having to have red or blue as a colour at best. Little bit sad panda though.

Thanks for the insider info on the Triton, I think I've been successfully steered away from them now. Maybe it's just me but I don't find the XR6 that comfortable a ride in comparison to most family sedans anyway, so I can probably handle a rougher ride but obviously would prefer not too.

So looking at Dual Cabs, are you in the BT-50 / Ranger camp? Newer Navaras? Something else?
    GolfMap

I honestly don't know how people rack up so many K's!? I get to Melbourne 4 or 5 times a year, a 750K round trip plus whatever I do while there. If I need anything I have to go to Warrnambool or Mt Gambier, which are 200K round trips at least half a dozen times a year. Apart form that I suppose work is a 4K round trip and the golf club is an 8K round trip. Don't need or want to go anywhere else. (Well, I rarely want to go to work or golf either but that's beside the point.)

Unfortunately I've resigned myself to having to have red or blue as a colour at best. Little bit sad panda though.

Thanks for the insider info on the Triton, I think I've been successfully steered away from them now. Maybe it's just me but I don't find the XR6 that comfortable a ride in comparison to most family sedans anyway, so I can probably handle a rougher ride but obviously would prefer not too.

So looking at Dual Cabs, are you in the BT-50 / Ranger camp? Newer Navaras? Something else?
    150km a day round trip for work. It all adds up!

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

150km a day round trip for work. It all adds up!
    Yikes. I have filled up the Falcon once since Champs. The joy of riding to work most days. The car does 150k a week!

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

68000 since last April here.

I've done 28,000 kms since 2011, so... about 7,000kms a year?

Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

I wouldn't say that the BA Falcon was at the pinnacle of suspension design, and the fact that you've got the XR6 means lower profile tyres and slightly stiffer suspension compared to a normal Falcon so it would feel firmer than the usual boaty-ness of Falcons and Commodores. While they are a lot better than in the past, some of the dual cabs can be a bit bouncy in the rear end, particularly when your not carrying any load. I guess this all comes down to personal feel so you would need to drive them to see for yourself. You can play around with tyre pressures a bit to reduce any possible harshness when your not loaded up but just due to the fact that they are designed to carry weight in the back means they will be more stiffly sprung than a passenger car.

Personally, even though I am a Datsun "enthusiast", I'm not a fan of the current range of Nissan Navara's. I just find them a bit meh. The D22 model is quite old now, and the D40 can be a bit hit and miss as far as reliability goes. Plenty of documented issues with engine timing chain problems and clutch/flywheel problems.

If I was in the market for a dual cab, I would be having a closer look at and test drive of the Ranger/BT-50 which are pretty much the same under the bodywork, and the DMax/Colorado which once again are similar under the bodywork. Toyota Hilux has pretty much always had a good name and following but the current model has been around for quite a while now so is looking a bit dated. But as it is nearing the end of a model run, they would be fairly well sorted by now so would have minimal issues. They are due to release a new model soonish but that may not be until 2016.

At the end of the day though, particularly if you are buying new, or near to new, and the vehicle still has the balance of the manufacturers warranty, I would just go and test drive a bunch of different models and see what you like the feel of yourself.

Something else to consider, with most of the current dual cabs, they are pretty well all diesel now (except Hilux), not sure if that is an issue or bothers you? There is a chance the Ranger may be coming out with a petrol option again in the nearish future though.

Sorted! Just get this and be done with it!

Can you get me one at a good price? Or do you know a certain someone selling one?
    If you really wanted a Mondeo, I could potentially point you in the direction of a few that may be available. But in all seriousness, I wouldn't be recommending a Mondeo for you. (Sorry Dotty)

If you do have the possible move closer to work coming up and less use of a car would be required, I'd just keep driving the Corolla. Unless money was no object or you were planning some long trips and wanted something with less kms for a bit of peace of mind.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I guess I'll go next.

Thoughts?
    What's wrong with it? Do you need to change, or just want to? I'm a fan of divisibility cars into the ground. Pretty much the 4 other cars we've had have ended up as wrecker material. 5 actually when you consider my old work van.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

I wouldn't say that the BA Falcon was at the pinnacle of suspension design, and the fact that you've got the XR6 means lower profile tyres and slightly stiffer suspension compared to a normal Falcon so it would feel firmer than the usual boaty-ness of Falcons and Commodores. While they are a lot better than in the past, some of the dual cabs can be a bit bouncy in the rear end, particularly when your not carrying any load. I guess this all comes down to personal feel so you would need to drive them to see for yourself. You can play around with tyre pressures a bit to reduce any possible harshness when your not loaded up but just due to the fact that they are designed to carry weight in the back means they will be more stiffly sprung than a passenger car.

Personally, even though I am a Datsun "enthusiast", I'm not a fan of the current range of Nissan Navara's. I just find them a bit meh. The D22 model is quite old now, and the D40 can be a bit hit and miss as far as reliability goes. Plenty of documented issues with engine timing chain problems and clutch/flywheel problems.

If I was in the market for a dual cab, I would be having a closer look at and test drive of the Ranger/BT-50 which are pretty much the same under the bodywork, and the DMax/Colorado which once again are similar under the bodywork. Toyota Hilux has pretty much always had a good name and following but the current model has been around for quite a while now so is looking a bit dated. But as it is nearing the end of a model run, they would be fairly well sorted by now so would have minimal issues. They are due to release a new model soonish but that may not be until 2016.

At the end of the day though, particularly if you are buying new, or near to new, and the vehicle still has the balance of the manufacturers warranty, I would just go and test drive a bunch of different models and see what you like the feel of yourself.

Something else to consider, with most of the current dual cabs, they are pretty well all diesel now (except Hilux), not sure if that is an issue or bothers you? There is a chance the Ranger may be coming out with a petrol option again in the nearish future though.
    Cheers GK, I'd very much be leaning towards a diesel methinks. As a general rule they're cheaper / more efficient to run than petrol, correct?
    GolfMap

Thread Information