Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

We're considering replacing the Mrs' car at the moment. The Captiva is on top of the list.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Yep, it just seemed to be such good value for money. I got an SX Diesel, on road, registered for business use, with towbar, and the usual mats etc thrown in, for $35500. That is a lot of vehicle for the money. If I were buying it for everyday personal use, I would go with the LX model (top of the range). The 7 seats, leather, and nice fitout are worth the extra cabbage. I wanted a manual for work, though, and that only comes in the SX.

Combined City / Highway economy stats on the Captiva diesel are 7.6 l/100km, which is pretty good for a reasonably heavy AWD vehicle.

I looked closely at the Mazda 6, but it's towing capacity was tiny... Holden Astra pulls more... but it did drive very nicely. Lots of grunt, and the 6-speed box is very miserly on fuel.

I'll be sure to post a review of the Captiva, when it arrives.
    Last edited by oz; 31st July 2007 at 08:16 AM.
    WITB: TBA

goughy

My sister bought a captiva a few months ago now. The diesel wasn't around then I believe. I think they have the LX (not the sport model) and they love it. They looked at a lot of 7 seaters. They only have 2 kids, but often have to take 3 adults with the 2 kids, and it's just 2 squeezie in the back with 2 big car seats. They found the captiva back seats the most comfortable with the most head room of all they looked at. In fact my BIL said they are pretty much comfortable for an adult to sit in. Not many around like that.

I did a fair bit of homework / research beforehand, and the feedback and reviews for the Captiva were really solid. It is good to hear of some more real-life happy customers.

I now need to find a good home for my old Holden Frontera SE (V6 Petrol), which has been a great rig, but it is a bit on the thirsty side......

goughy

I'll just post this here, it's about cars anyway.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-976...?tag=cnetfd.mt

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

AndyP - hold on til next year and grab the new model 6. Looks the goods. It shares underpinnings with the new mondeo which just won European car of the year.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...6rearfirst.jpg

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Looks meaner, doesn't it.

Please don't relate it back to Fords, it makes me feel dirty.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

All this car talk, and the fact that my 91 applause is about to die, I'm going to jump on the car bandwagon. Not new, but newer.

http://www.rumcityhonda.com.au/preow...em.asp?ID=1614

nice pickup poidda! You'll get at least 4 golfers, bags and smoothy buggies in that thing!

any popups?

golflink WITB

So that's what you're spending your weekends winnings on.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

ordered a new Kluger which will hopefully arrive for the drive to Melbourne on the 28th. picking up another puppy from Orange on the way home.

Looked at Ford Territory's and all sorts of soft roaders, but settled on bland Japan. Horrible name, good car.
    “You're not a worker bee...you're a renegade killer bee.” - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    So that's what you're spending your weekends winnings on.
    Nah I've invested that in a poker coach. I'm thinking if I can take money off you losers without knowing how to play, than there must be plenty of cash up for grabs once I know the rules!

Plus the winnings from Magenta Shores.

let it go P.

golflink WITB

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Plus the winnings from Magenta Shores.
    Why are you upset? We only play to have a good time. Don't we?

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by poidda View Post
    Why are you upset? We only play to have a good time. Don't we?
    He is upset because you smashed him real easy mate actualy so did I
    At least I made it to the head to head round with you

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Back to the topic, which I have followed with a great deal of interest, as I have been seriously thinking about the very issue of keep or renew for some time.

I have been a slavish follower of the 'renew' side for a while, buying a new, cheap, disposable, small Korean car every three years after the warranty runs out. As a single person without a family, a small car is enough for me.

I intended to keep my current Kia Rio, purchased in 2004, for another two years if it was going to last that long. But I learned that NSW was changing its registration rules. The change was that cars would only need a pink slip inspection after 5 years, instead of the current 3 years. This starts from July 2008. So the effect was that my 3 year old car would need a pink slip next April, but a new car will last 5 years without going through the pain of getting a pink slip.

So, I've been saving my money, and doing lots of internet research and studying of the advertisements. I buy cars using cash and trade-in value, not through finance. I'm not a good negotiator, so I prefer to have a changeover price in mind, and then stick to it.

The time was right, so I took the plunge and had a serious visit to the car yards today. My agenda was to look at a Mitsubishi Lancer even though it was slightly out of my price range, then either a Hyundai Elantra or a Nissan Tiida.

The Mitsubishi yard didn't even have a Lancer on prominent display, and their ads only mention the 380 and various 4wd's. I couldn't get the attention of a Salesman, so they missed out. Maybe they knew I wasn't a serious buyer just by looking at me from a distance.

The Hyundai yard looked too busy, so I took a deep breath and parked in the 'Customer Parking Area' of the Nissan yard. The final washup is that the Nissan Tiida (sedan) is a nice car, albeit a bit ugly. This may be why it is a bit cheaper than their competitors.

I told them what my changeover price was, they tried to talk me into giving them more money. I stuck to my price, and they agreed with me. So I will shortly be the owner of a new Tiida, with a boot that might be big enough for two sets of clubs (McCoy knows why this is worth mentioning).

Now I have no spare cash, so I may not even bother to read the Pro Shop posts for a while. No new golf clubs for me this year!
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

nice one Jim. Did Kim Cattrall put the hard word on you?

golflink WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Jim. The Lancer on the runout for the new model, that is why they don't have many car at the moment. My wife was looking for a small car for my son recently and they ended getting a Mazda 3.

I compared the Lancer with the Mazda 3 (and a few others) before I bought my car a few years back. It's like chalk & cheese. The Mazda was $1500 dearer at the time, but it's twice the car. The 2008 model Lancer is meant to be a more comparable standard.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    I compared the Lancer with the Mazda 3 (and a few others) before I bought my car a few years back. It's like chalk & cheese. The Mazda was $1500 dearer at the time, but it's twice the car. The 2008 model Lancer is meant to be a more comparable standard.
    I guess that mean you got the Mazda 3.

The 2008 Lancer is not available yet, so my wife didn't have much of a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    I guess that mean you got the Mazda 3.

The 2008 Lancer is not available yet, so my wife didn't have much of a choice.
    Correct. The Mazda will be 3 years old in December and I haven't had one complaint (except that it's not immune to morons with shopping trolleys ). It's been a bloody great car.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    nice one Jim. Did Kim Cattrall put the hard word on you?

I'm sort of hoping she is part of the after-sales service.

One of the interesting things about the process was the things salesmen say to you after you've signed the agreement. Both guys told me I'd made a good deal, partly because the Kim Cattrall campaign was an absolute disaster and Nissan had to reduce their price to get sales moving.

They told me that sales were now going well, but they thought Nissan were going to make a few tweaks next year, call it an updated model, and boost the price again.

The marketing types among us will know that one of the first rules of advertising is not to alienate one sector of the market when trying to appeal to another. The Cattrall ads were directed at young women who wanted a 'sexy car'. Two problems with this. Most importantly, the car aint sexy, from any angle. Secondly, women don't buy cars for their sex appeal (guys do though), and nobody else in the market was attracted at all.

I have wait another two weeks before I take delivery. So I will be hoping for no hailstorms or idiots scraping keys along the side of the car during that period.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    I just ordered a Captiva Diesel (manual) last week. Sadly, delivery is likely to be 8 weeks.
    Still no Captiva.... It is in the country, at least.... Hopefully should be ready for delivery by this time next week.....

Camry = old person's car.

Did you get it in grandpa green?

Thread Information