Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 92 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Favourite Golf Ball.

Yes its time for another one of these threads....well either that or Blakey is going to start one entitled ""Favourite Maxwell Smart episode""....so you pick.

I'm currently using or blading,duffing,shanking the Srixon Z-URC.
    It's supposed to be Srixon's spinniest pill and I feel like I get a little more distance off the driver with it.Feels soft enough and the spin is decent.
    I'm thinking about trying a distance ball,maybe not a Pinnacle rock but something a bit harder than what I'm playing now....any suggestions.
    The Top Flite D2 is supposed to be a goer.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

#103 "I shot 86 Today"
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    maybe not a Pinnacle rock
    you know, you should setup a thread for people to play a comp or serious round with a ball from the different end of the spectrum to what they normally use. Ie I use a TP Red, play a round with a Topflite or Pinnacle rock and post the results....

Just a thought, I haven't used anything other than a HX56, Pro V or TP pill for probably 5 years I reckon....

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    you know, you should setup a thread for people to play a comp or serious round with a ball from the different end of the spectrum to what they normally use. Ie I use a TP Red, play a round with a Topflite or Pinnacle rock and post the results....

Just a thought, I haven't used anything other than a HX56, Pro V or TP pill for probably 5 years I reckon....
    Not a bad idea Pete.

Has anybody tried the Cally HX Hot?....supposed to be LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGG

I'm using the ProV1 and think it's great.
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

TP Black, Pro V1X, Utri Tour with the HX56Tour and B330S being trialled.

Big fan of the TP black, but the ProV1X is probably just my favourite ball.
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

goughy

Been a fan of utri-tours, or the cheaper utri spin. The spin is a great cheap tour which itself is a great cheap proV1. Been trying bridgestone e6 and 35's lately, but only been a hit or two so far. Picked up my 7 pro pin balls today and got a selection of e5 and e6's to try.

I'm after a cheap performance ball, and have generally been happy with bridgestone/precepts for a long time now. Didn't really like the 330's though. Don't know why. Was down at amart the other day and they were dearer than proV1's, which surprised me, as the utri tours were always $10 cheaper or more.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

FWIW e6's for me. good balance for me of compression and spin.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I'm a massive fan on Hogan 'tour deep' and 'hawks'

Yes i realise i'm a hacker and the ball would probably make f all difference to my score, but for feel, spin, and general play i havent used a better ball. I like ProV's and HX tours didn't like the utri tours so for acheaper alternative to using pro v's i tried the Hogan 'Hawks' and i have really liked them.
    (they are excellent at being hit in the drink too!)
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    I'm after a cheap performance ball, and have generally been happy with bridgestone/precepts for a long time now. Didn't really like the 330's though. Don't know why. Was down at amart the other day and they were dearer than proV1's, which surprised me, as the utri tours were always $10 cheaper or more.

With the Utri Tour's gone now, the B330s is for sale at $39 per dozen at a lot of places in Sydney.
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by kpac View Post
    I'm a massive fan on Hogan 'tour deep' and 'hawks'

Yes i realise i'm a hacker and the ball would probably make f all difference to my score, but for feel, spin, and general play i havent used a better ball. I like ProV's and HX tours didn't like the utri tours so for acheaper alternative to using pro v's i tried the Hogan 'Hawks' and i have really liked them.
    (they are excellent at being hit in the drink too!)
    kpac have you compared these Hogans to any other balls for distance?

Most balls that I've used over the last few years seem to go about the same distance until I tried the Z URC and noticed I was consistently a few metres further down the fairways at Nudgee than usual.
    Maybe the Srixon is a good combo of compression and cover softness for my swingspeed.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post
    With the Utri Tour's gone now, the B330s is for sale at $39 per dozen at a lot of places in Sydney.
    Only the old B330s are for sale that cheap. They have a new version of the B330s that have just come out that retail for 79 buckeroos

Optima TS is pretty good for value. Shot a few good numbers with that pill.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

I have been using the new Bridgestone E5 ball.
    Nice and long of the tee with good stopping power, very hard to scuff up as well

Senior Member Major Winner

The U-Tri Tour's were fantastic. The only issue with them was the amount of skin you could take off if you hit trees and/or cart paths. The Z-URS were great too.

Pro V's are my choice of premium, don't know if i didn't like the HX or if I didn't score well. Either way, I probably won't go back there.

Current ball is the Titleist NXT Tour for $55 per dozen new from the Pro Shop. Trung swore by them, and they are great off the face and appear to spin enough for me.

I've had a stack of club money lately and still do, so I'll probably end up spending it on another dozen balls and trying something else.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    Only the old B330s are for sale that cheap. They have a new version of the B330s that have just come out that retail for 79 buckeroos
    Nothing wrong with the old B330s (well at least the 2 I've played with), do you know what the differences are?

Wonder if they'll discount the "old" ProV1 and ProV1x... no chance I'd say.
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

Alister MacKenzie

my preferred ball is the ProV1x

I currently use the Nike One Platinum and basically use whatever decent ball is going cheap - I won't pay more than $50/doz for anything.

The best round I ever shot was with a Srixon Soft Feel
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Distance wise gaz they're going as far as the V1x's i was hitting (mind you i think my new driver has a bit more run than my old one wo the comparisons may have to start fresh)
    I visit a bloke every month or so who dives for balls and i've given lots a try, and i guess end of the day it is just personal. To be honest i use a maxfli noodle MOST of the time (i get them for a song: sub $1) and think they are generally a all around decent ball. The hawks set me back $1.5 a-grade and the tour deep's $2 and that is alot better than the a grade pro v's i was picking up. With the amount of golf i'm playing at the moment (3+ rounds a week) and the amount of wayward shots i hit, i'm happy losing the noodles and keeping my cash. However if it is a decent comp/course and i'm taking things at all serious i'd use a Hawk by choice they make my day when i see them drop. just my experiences and it's such a subjective decision isn't it.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Fish, those NXT Tours are top balls mate, love the soft feel you get of the putter and wedges.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post

The best round I ever shot was with a Srixon Soft Feel
    Funny enough, so was my best round! Bet mine wasn't as low as yours though!!!!

It's one of the reasons I've thought I should go back to a mid priced ball. Less worried about losing them so it's one thing off my mind. I know you shouldn't think about losing balls, but when you hit them into the trees as often as I do it tends to get on your mind

NXT tours, when i can get out to play.. :P

Keep coming back to the Pro V.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Chop and change regularly.
    Currently back to the Noodle as I had a dozen sitting in the garage the other day. 1st try with them was Anzac Day with 40 point result, good distance off the tee and not too bad feel off the putter, was a bit less spin than the dearer balls but when you are as inconsistent as me who needs it. Will be a Distance/Semi soft ball player from now on the good balls are out of my league.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Got a dozen NXT tours for $10 from a guy who used to work at Pac Harbour. He didn't have any more when I used them all up, so he gave me a dozen Pro V's for the same price.
    Apart from that, actually really like the Maxfli A10 Tours. Seem to stop nicely around the green.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

I use Laddie Xtremes.They're cheap and I don't have the talent/skill to use anything more expensive. Having said that I'll use anything I find. Noodles and DT Solo are what I mostly find and they are not too much difference to the Laddie Xtremes. Nike Mojos and SFT2 and Srixon AD333 are all pretty similar as well. Two of my favourites amongst the found balls have been the Precept XP3 and the Callaway HX Pearl and if they weren't so expensive I'd buy them in a shot.

Thread Information