Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 56 ... LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I found the NXT Tours scuff up pretty easy. I used one today to see the different between it and the EXTREME.... my extreme lasts longer and its only a little harder. I actually thought i lost some distance with the NXT Tours.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by swanny View Post
    Gee thanks KPAC for your advice i want something a bit soft that will spin. On thursday i hit pitching wedge downwind slightly uphill from about 50 feet landed 10 feet short of the pin and just before the 2 - 3 ft ridge in the green and still finished over the back of the green. i couldnt of hit the shot any better. There are that many balls out there i just thought the forum may be able to give me some advice.
    Tony Titheridge once told me what I am about to tell you and I told him to go and get f*cked, but he was right, which I eventually admitted to him:

ahem. If you are getting 20+ feet of release on a short iron shot it ain't the ball, it's you.

There are many balls out there, yes. And if you hit them like you hit whatever ball you were using for the above shot I hazard to guess that the result will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    I found the NXT Tours scuff up pretty easy. I used one today to see the different between it and the EXTREME.... my extreme lasts longer and its only a little harder. I actually thought i lost some distance with the NXT Tours.
    I find it much more durable than ther ProV. Doesn't tear apart when I hit a full shot with the 56* and its Y-cutter grooves and doesn't discolour at all.

Trees seem to do some decent damage, but other than that it seems real good to me. I routinely get 27 holes in comp out of one. No other ball has ever kept me happy for more than 18.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Anyone given the Burner TP a go? Or the new top flite Gamer? Can you get that one here yet?

I still use second hand Pro Vs when my confidence is up. If the swing goes off I usually change to a low compression ball (precept Lady) or whatever low spin rock is in the bag. Spinning into greens requires a receptive green as well. Somewhere (Short Game Bible I think) they talk about needing to leave a pitch mark to get spin on the green.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Anyone given the Burner TP a go?
    I was keen to give them a go, but they got terrible reviews on GolfWRX.com.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    Tony Titheridge once told me what I am about to tell you and I told him to go and get f*cked, but he was right, which I eventually admitted to him:

ahem. If you are getting 20+ feet of release on a short iron shot it ain't the ball, it's you.

There are many balls out there, yes. And if you hit them like you hit whatever ball you were using for the above shot I hazard to guess that the result will be the same.
    That's a massive call. Might want to have a look at the British Open this year and tell the guys to work on their swings. It depends a lot on course condition.

That said, on a standard course that most of us play, you are pretty right.

Member Club Pro

"Or the new top flite Gamer? "

I tried these last weekend - if you've been a fan of balls like the Laddie,SoLo,Callaway HX HOT.....etc then you really gotta try these.Higher,longer with some bite.
    A number of blokes on the US golf forums reckon these are identical to the new Callaway HX HOT Bite.

I had a round with the Callaway Tour ix the other day around Nudgee and have come to the conclusion that its longer than the Pro V1 off the driver and the irons.I was consistently 5-10m further down the fairway than usual and the irons seemed to carry a few metres longer than normal.Just browsing the Yank forums the consensus from a lot of ball reviews is the that the Tour ix is loooong.
    Compared with the ProV greenside spin was down and my chips and pitches rolled out and released more than I'm used to with the Cally.
    Putting was about the same with the Cally being slightly clickier of the face.

Ideally I'd like to stick with the one pill for my one round a week so do I go for more distance with the Callaway or more spin with the Titleist?

I'd stick with whatever you are more comfortable with when it comes to the greenside 'feel' shots.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

used ProV1's or Precept Laddies.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    I had a round with the Callaway Tour ix the other day around Nudgee and have come to the conclusion that its longer than the Pro V1 off the driver and the irons.I was consistently 5-10m further down the fairway than usual and the irons seemed to carry a few metres longer than normal.Just browsing the Yank forums the consensus from a lot of ball reviews is the that the Tour ix is loooong.
    Compared with the ProV greenside spin was down and my chips and pitches rolled out and released more than I'm used to with the Cally.
    Putting was about the same with the Cally being slightly clickier of the face.

Ideally I'd like to stick with the one pill for my one round a week so do I go for more distance with the Callaway or more spin with the Titleist?
    What price are we talking about per ball here Gaz ?

I might be keen to try an alternative to the used proV1X's i've been using for ages ... never really considered a Cally ball after i was so disappointed with the HX Tours
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    i was so disappointed with the HX Tours
    yeah?? huh i thought they were pretty good just far to $$ to not care about. I cant see how people can buy these new and knock them in the piss all the time, i saw them at $29 a sleeve in a pro shop the other day &^*king criminal for a ball!

I think i'm going back to the Hawks and Apex Tours.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    What price are we talking about per ball here Gaz ?

I might be keen to try an alternative to the used proV1X's i've been using for ages ... never really considered a Cally ball after i was so disappointed with the HX Tours
    Not sure what they are going for here and they are just out so we won't get any secondhand for a while but if you wanted to stock up this works out to about $48 Aus per dozen.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-DOZEN-NEW-I...742.m153.l1262

I think you'd like em if you like V1x's.....maybe grab one from Downsy for tomorrows round.

There are now a few balls that are longer than the current ProV1 with Driver and full
    iron shots but the compromise will always be the softness and greenside control of the ProV1.

To make the ProV1 any longer they would have to wind up its compression and harden its mantle
    or basically make it the ProVX.

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    I think you'd like em if you like V1x's.....maybe grab one from Downsy for tomorrows round.
    Might just do that

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoz_fromOz View Post
    There are now a few balls that are longer than the current ProV1 with Driver and full
    iron shots but the compromise will always be the softness and greenside control of the ProV1.

To make the ProV1 any longer they would have to wind up its compression and harden its mantle
    or basically make it the ProVX.
    To be honest I've never really worried about distance with my driver or irons,my best drives might roll out to 240-250m and I was happy with that but the other day with the new Cally ball I kept finding myself about 10m closer to the greens than usual.....and I liked it.

Am helping my sister move for the 3rd time in a few months...so she's going to shout me 2 Doz E6+'s as a thank you present!
    My better half has just started playing, so she can have the Noodles to try.
    Desert Golfer

I haven't had a chance to play a full round yet, but I'm loving these E6+'s on the green.
    The best ball I've putted with so far.
    Desert Golfer

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Thinking of giving them a try soon Dazza, How are they around the rest of the course?
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Thinking of giving them a try soon Dazza, How are they around the rest of the course?
    Haven't had a chance to get out yet Grunt. On Friday I'll have a hit (If work permits) so I'll let you know!

Cheers
    Desert Golfer

Member Club Pro

Dazza, What have you been playing previous to e6+? e6?
    stu.
    I'm not young enough to know everything.
    burger-link burger-bag

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Dazza, What have you been playing previous to e6+? e6?
    stu.
    Maxfli Noodle Long & Soft. When I was playing juniors, it was whatever was cheap at the time!

Unsure if there's a difference between E6 & E6+, haven't researched it yet.
    But there's a few 2nd Hand E6's on Ebay at the moment.
    Last edited by Dazza; 14th May 2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Desert Golfer

Member Club Pro

Thanks Dazza, I am using E6 and there's not much spin happening on anything other than a full 9 or PW for me. The Drummond guy said the new 6+ will spin more around the green. Just not sure if for me it is worth it . . .. . .
    I'm not young enough to know everything.
    burger-link burger-bag

According to GolfWRX Reviews, the B330-S spins quite well.

I bought some AA E6's from Squizzys last week, can't fault them at all! $14/doz, bloody bargain. Will probably grab a doz B330-S just for shits and giggles. See how the two compare, and they both might end up staying in the bag.

And no, still haven't played a round with them...... This weekend!
    Desert Golfer

Cally Tour IX's go alright

Thread Information