Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 92 FirstFirst ... 39 79 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2278
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Used a Bridgestone BXS on the weekend. I've used them before and found they spun too much. This might have been the newest model, but it was a great ball and was very durable.

Keen to try the Tour B
    You will love it, perfect in the wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Why are Srixon Z-Star XVs considered the ball for longer hitters, compared to the standard Z-Star? If it is a ball that goes longer, wouldn't it be better for a shorter hitter?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

My guess is the compression is probably higher. Long hitters normally = high swing speed so more compression the better

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Why are Srixon Z-Star XVs considered the ball for longer hitters, compared to the standard Z-Star? If it is a ball that goes longer, wouldn't it be better for a shorter hitter?
    I'd say the XV is less spin, meaning less tendency to get the ballooning trajectory for faster clubhead speeds, compared to the Z Star.

Whereas slower clubhead speed players need more backspin for the aerodynamics to work best, otherwise the ball just drops out of the air too soon (around 180m).
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

There’s no difference for choppers. If you hit your drive 300m you might notice.

The different ball reaction to different club head speeds makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    There’s no difference for choppers. If you hit your drive 300m you might notice.
    While I'm not a 200m driver anymore, I'm nowhere near 300m. I'm just looking for ways to eek out a few extra metres where I can. I bought some used balls and got two dozen of the standard, which is my current game ball, and one dozen of the XV, to see how they compare.

Andy I think you’re reading into it a bit too much. The XV goes way long and stops nicely on greens. It’s perfect for you. Don’t listen to the marketing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Harder ball goes further no matter who hits it. Xv is harder than Zstar. Xv goes further then Zstar.

Go read Mygolfspy 2021 (or maybe 2020) ball test and be wiser.

What MTB says.

Andy, i've used XV for about 10 months now. Love it. I find zstar too squishy off the chip shots and putting. ProV1x stops too quick for my spud-level short game.

I'm insulted that people think I, an engineer, didn't do research. Looked at plenty of sites that compared the two balls, but manyonly talked about balls for handicap levels, which is stupid, and I've never bothered to understand the effects of compression or spin. I'll have a look at Mygolfspy, although I have two dozen new standard Z-Stars, on top of the near mint used, to get through anyway.
    Last edited by AndyP; 28th February 2022 at 10:05 AM.

The difference between V1 and V1x and Zstar and Xv are fairly tiny from memory. The bigger differences are from those premium balls to the low compressions like Noodle et al.

Theres so much data on MGS, i think we might lose you for a month.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I'm insulted that people think I, an engineer, didn't do research. Looked at plenty of sites that compared the two balls, but manyonly talked about balls for handicap levels, which is stupid, and I've never bothered to understand the effects of compression or spin. I'll have a look at Mygolfspy, although I have two dozen new standard Z-Stars, on top of the near mint used, to get through anyway.
    As far as I can understand it, the main differences are on the extremes. The really low compression balls go further for low swing speeds (eg Srixon soft feel v z star, Callaway super soft v Chrome Soft. Think the older golfers at your club) but the difference between z star and z star xv, pro v1 and pro v1x, chrome soft and chrome soft x are minimal.

As far as I can understand it, the main differences are on the extremes. The really low compression balls go further for low swing speeds
    According to my golf spy tests thats not true. Harder golf ball goes further for all swing speeds. From memory there is a diminishing return for slow swingers, but thats probably only grandma.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    According to my golf spy tests thats not true. Harder golf ball goes further for all swing speeds. From memory there is a diminishing return for slow swingers, but thats probably only grandma.
    I must be looking at a different My golf spy. I’ll see if I can find the other one.

I used to use supersoft balls, but about a year ago I switched to TP5x. With the driver I probably did get a bit more distance but it was also more consistent, mishits excepted obviously. Certainly hit some of my longest drives with them. The soft ones seemed to be inconsistent even on well struck shots. Haven't noticed much difference with iron distance, however the spin on them and wedges is obviously better than the soft balls.

I'm currently playing a box of TP5 balls to see if I prefer them, so far I think I do, they're just a tiny bit softer that they feel better to hit. Performance difference compared to the TP5x isn't really noticeable to me, but I'd be happy to use either ball.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Harder ball goes further no matter who hits it. Xv is harder than Zstar. Xv goes further then Zstar. Go read Mygolfspy 2021 (or maybe 2020) ball test and be wiser.
    No, harder = higher ball speed. Higher ball speed doesn’t always equate to more distance. This is also a far superior testing effort than the MGS stuff: https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2019/september/robot-tested-which-golf-bal-suits-my-game/

Well, thanks Scottt. I was happy with my choice of ball until that video!!!!

I must be looking at a different My golf spy.
    You need to read their 2021 golf ball test ( or maybe 2020) The big reveal of that test was dispelling the soft ball goes better for slow swing speeds myth. Not that was their goal but that was what the data revealed.
    --
    Handy-Cap

--
    Handy-Cap

You need to read their 2021 golf ball test ( or maybe 2020) The big reveal of that test was dispelling the soft ball goes better for slow swing speeds myth. Not that was their goal but that was what the data revealed.
    Have you read it? That might be true off the driver at the speeds they tested (although they also suggest that might not be true for very slow swing speeds) but as the club head slows down it seems to say soft balls go further.

Yes i read it ... soft is slow. They often repeat that line in many subsequent articles.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

Do vaccinated people drive it further blakey?

& what about ppl who play with their balls (ie: t-baggerz), drive it further?

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Do vaccinated people drive it further blakey?
    The enhanced ego translates into increased imagined ability, so yeah they should. Placebos are proven to be effective.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Whoa up a sec. MTB is an anti-vaxxer?!

Thread Information