Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Week commencing 19th Feb 2007

Oh my god!!! Just when I thought I couldn't putt any worse than normal I go and play at Southern. Cripes - I hate those friggin greens!!!!!!!!!!! I am too ashamed to say how many putts I had - it would be the highest I've EVER seen posted. What really gets me is that I stood over every putt confinced that this time I'd get it in - but the positive attitude did nothing. What makes it worse is that I had the best driving and pitching round ever. Not one bad drive.

I just don't know how to get my confidence back with my putting. Do I go out and practise heaps and just shrug it off and hope that I improve next time I play?

The winner on the day had 40 points off a handicap of 2. Not bad going for a young girl - I think she was about 17.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Was it just a one off blot or have you been on a bad run? I find my putting is all confidence and if I have a bad day I don't take much notice.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

My putting is by far the worst part of my game - and has been ever since I started. I rarely get under 36 putts. And that is regardless of where I play. I either overshoot by miles or pull up way short - just so inconsistant. My reads of the borrow usually isn't so bad - it's getting the speed right. I'm not too bad on shorter putts - probably a bit worse than average but not really bad.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Blog Entries

Have you thought of a putting lesson just to see if it is something simple that you may be getting wrong. I had a simple one years ago and it worked well. I think my putting is one of the strengths of my game.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Major Winner

Reenie, just remember - shorten the backswing and accelerate through the putt. 3 feet or 30 feet putts you should have the same backswing.

The rest is up to you............................ or your teacher
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan View Post
    Reenie, just remember - shorten the backswing and accelerate through the putt. 3 feet or 30 feet putts you should have the same backswing.

The rest is up to you............................ or your teacher
    I think that is my biggest problem. So - and this is probably stupid and obvious - you are saying the same backswing but just change the speed. That makes sense - and it's what I do on my pitching and chipping.

But then others tell me same speed but just lengthen the swing.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergirl View Post
    But then others tell me same speed but just lengthen the swing.
    Whoever's advice you are taking now - STOP!

That's as good as I can do for you
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

goughy

I've used the old longer backswing and cut my follow through off, kind of rapping the ball.

then again, I putt no better than you FG so I wouldn't listen to me.

FG - I won't give you advice on how to fix it, but I will say this.

If speed is your issue, the most common cause of this is not getting the ball rolling off the putter. You are either skipping it a bit on the air or getting alot of backspin in the first few feet of your putts. This means you can hit 3 putts with the same power and 2 could go way past it and one could pull up way short. This is due to the inconsistency of the 'flight' of the ball.

I have improved alot by concentrating on getting the ball rolling off the putter face and making solid contact. Once I have mastered this, I will then move onto getting the ball on the right line
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

That's some good advice Moe. That's something I've been working on recently. Stoney pointed it out to me that I was catching the putts on the up with topspin (which I thought was the right way to get it rolling). He got me keeping my putter head low to the ground through the ball. It works. I've since seen that advice elsewhere, so there must be some validity to it.

IMO... speed is way more important that line.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

goughy

Once you pick your line, that's where the ball is going if you keep the putter head on line. So what I try and do is pick my line then think of it no more and concentrate on my distance.

exactly Dion, the line doesn't matter if you're not getting it to the hole!
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The speed doesn't matter if you're not getting it on line.

yes it does, cause it makes the next put alot easier.
    Moe Norman

Thanks for the help guys. I played yesterday and although I hadn't read your advise re focus on the speed and not the direction - I had asked one of our ladies who is a good putter what she thought and she said the same thing. The first look at the putt will usually tell you the line - then just focus on the speed. I did this and didn't worry about technique and all the other crap that has been messing with my head. I just focused on hitting through the ball. I would love to say that I didn't have any three putts - I had 3 - but I also had 3 one putts and a lot of my second putts were tap ins. It was a big improvement.

We played par yesterday and I finished -3. Too many brain farts on the back nine Had a lovely NTP on a difficult par 3. I know a good game is just around the corner.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

41 pts at coffs today. Finally a nice solid 18holes

9fir
    8gir
    33putt
    1bird

s9-1 Pro 10.5 | 906f2 15* 18.5* | Maxfli a10 Tour 3-p| x-forged 52* 58* | Odyssey Black I9

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

nice shooting Craig. Looks like you'll be off 12 tomorrow. Congrats.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Blog Entries

Played with Andrew @ Moss Vale. 24 points.
    Very ordinary day to start with. 9 points on the front nine with 3 out of the first four holes wiped. Could not get a handle on the fact the greens were affected by grain. Leave one putt short, put the next 10 feet past the hole.

Had what looking back was a funny experience on the 4th hole. I was under a tree off the fairway and had a couple of pine cones near the ball. I kicked the pine cone, it came off the side of the shoe and into my ball. You got it, I sliced the kick!! I just then picked up the ball and walked it all off.

After that I decided to use the round as a practice round and i hit the new 3i off the tee a couple of times, it is nice!!! Also had trouble with distances close to the hole, more than twice I sailed over the back of the green from just under 100 out (or so I thought). Andrew & I both thought that some holes had there yardage pegs out of whack a little on some holes, we both sailed the green on one particular hole. Was a good practice round in the end and a few good things went with the bad.

Oh well maybe next time, only one game off going back to 18 again.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

82 off the stick around Nudgee South today (36 points)

9 fairways
    10 G.I.R
    36 putts

3 birdies
    5 pars
    6 bogeys
    3 double-bogeys
    1 triple-bogey
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

10 GIR!!! That's some good going at our handicap level. It must have been the good irons you were using.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Why do you think i'm whinging about the bloody greens !!!!!!
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Blog Entries

Played Oatlands this morning and on the whole played a whole lot better
    91 Gross
    10 Fairways
    4 GIR
    1/9 up & Down
    0/2 Sand saves
    37 Putts

The game could have been worse but it could have been better to. I had 3 wipes, a birdie and a par. Putter was not on song today , i gave myself planty of up and down chances only to miss read the green and have the ball shave the cup. On the whole I am happy as i was in the hunt all day and after a bad hole I did not turn it into a run of bad holes. Maybe the lessons are really working and the scores will come back. If not I will have to settle and learn how to score off this handicap.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

23/02/07, Nudgee GC South, Stableford

8/13 effective T-shots.
    7/18 effective approaches.
    4/8 up and down successes.
    30 putts.
    -----------
    1 birdie.
    10 pars.
    7 bogeys.
    Score 37-39-76 stab 41pts (Par 35-35-70)

The G2 driver is going quite nicely and finding plenty of fairways, and the misses haven't been that bad. So far, I'd have to say it was a worthwhile purchase.

I hit some of the irons pretty bad, but also hit some pretty well, particularly after I figured I was standing a bit close to the ball. The NTP on the 18th was a nice strike and must have been pretty close to going in.

The putting seemed to come back today, and I drained quite a few from a good distance away. At the end of the round I seemed to miss a few closer ones though, which was wasteful.

The most disappointing part of my game at the moment is my greenside chipping. I'm just not standing over the ball with any confidence, and I rarely look like sinking a chip. It might be the new wedge combo, and I'm sure practice could fix this, but I'll just keep playing and keep complaining about it after every round.

What's pleasing is that I know I'm still leaving obvious shots out there. Fat irons, flubbed chips, etc. My handicap will now be at an all time low of 10, and who knows, maybe single figures is do-able for me without working at it.

Next round: Gailes Hackers, 25/2.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Nice shooting Andy
    Still have no idea how you holed so many putts though.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Played Nudgee South Single Stab today
    I was happy how I was striking the ball today with the Driver and longer
    clubs, but the short game sucked dogs balls

86 (33 pts)
    10 Greens
    8 Fairways
    36 putts (4 bloody 3 putts )

9 Pars
    4 Bogeys
    3 Doubles