Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaster!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I so didn't want to start reading this thread cos I was too scared to hear what it might be about

My heartfelt sympathy goes to Leon's family and to all of us - his Ozgolf family. He was an intelligent, witty and kind hearted man. I only met him once - at the 2005 champs - and we spent a lot of time chatting. He had a lovely way of making you feel special and was very interested to listen to what you had to say. He had a great sense of humour - stirred me up heaps regarding my lack of pool playing talent!

I just can't imagine how hard to must be for his family to lose someone so young and in their prime. Just so so sad.

Rest in peace Leon. This is just so wrong...............
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I have never met or chatted to Jaster, but just reading the posts you can feel what a great bloke he is

RIP mate

Condolences to Family and Friends,

Chris
    Handicaped

G10 9* / G10 17* / Idea Pro / MP-60/MP-32 / 588's / Rossie 2

www.jcgolf.com.au

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Chris32
    I have never met or chatted to Jaster, but just reading the posts you can feel what a great bloke he is

RIP mate

Condolences to Family and Friends,

Chris
    This is exactly what I was going to say.

Prayers to Family and Friends, sorry for everyone that lost a top mate!

JC

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Jaster....
    Husband, Father, Mate..... you were all these things and yet you were more... I am saddened by your loss... your family was gifted to have you in their lives as were we... I sit here at work thinking about all the things I have lost this year... so insignificant... I am at a loss as to what to do when such young lives are taken from us... Leon, may you be shooting a course record up there with Duncan waiting for all of us to join you one day... what a party that will be... Cheers mate... RIP Leon..

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Hey Guys and Girls, not sure if this is a good or bad idea. I will put it up to everyone here anyway.
    How about we all get online tonight and have a Chat Session all about Jaster (Leon)? It might make it easier for those of us that were very close to share stories and we can all help one another through this Sad Day in OzGolf.
    How about 7:30 QLD time for us all to get together and celebrate the great guy that Jaster was and always will be remembered.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

This is terribly sad news for everyone involved, and it's hard to comprehend losing a spouse or father at such a young age. The fact that he was in decline recently, doesn't make it any easier. My thoughts go out to his close friends and family.

Everyone has captured above what a great guy he was and he will be a big loss to our community, as well.

I'm so glad to have played with him just a couple of months ago at Pacific Harbour, enjoying his company. Despite his discomfort during the round, he was his usually cheery self, and only too happy to dispense advice to those in the group, as he has always done. He would have been absolutely buggered, but stayed around for a couple of beers with us after which was fantastic, which is further proof of the time he had for other people.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Jaster also had plenty of success at his home club of Toowoomba City GC, and I'd think he would be well known around the club. It would be good if they could organise some sort of memorial/fundraiser event to remember him. If they did, I'd do my best to be a part of it.

For an OZgolf memorial, I was thinking that perhaps we could get a perpetual silver plate to award to the Gross Winner at the Champs each year. Seems fitting. The Leon Treadwell Plate. What do we think?

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Yep great idea Andy I am sure everyone in here would support such an event.

Blog Entries

I will back that AndyP. Let us know if the golf day goes ahead I will do everything in my power to get to it.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I have been ummming and ahhing about posting on this thread all day because unfortunately I did not know Leon... except from what Iain has told me and what I have read from you guys. And I'm really quite disappointed to not have known him. He seems like such a great guy who was so thoughtful about what everyone else was going through than to talk about his own worries. People like that don't come around that often! But his loss has still upset me deeply.

Iain showed me a thread from when Leon was first diagnosed with this curse and I sat there in tears as it really makes you put life into perspective. What touched me most was in something I read that he wrote about his wife saying: "I was blessed to have met her 10 years ago and each day I get reassured more and more that I could not have made a better choice for a life partner" It showed me he deeply respected his wife and they had a strong bond... this will never die.

My love and thoughts aren't only with his wife, children and the rest of his family at this time but for everyone on here who has been touched one way or another by Leon's presence. That call yesterday was probably one that goughy never wanted to make.

But like Grunt suggested, celebrate his life because from what I've heard, he celebrated every last day he had here! It's upsetting to anyone to hear of this kind of loss, especially when they are taken so young. But God has a reason for everything and obviously Duncan needed someone up there to play a round with

God bless you Leon. And thank you for your time here

I never actually met Leon but exchanged hundreds of emails and PMs with him and received just a little of that quiet wisdom of his. Rest in peace and my condolences to his wife and daughters.

To an all round nice guy and enjoyable sparring partner on the course...

RIP Jaster

Never got to have that game with Jaster that we said we were going to when he beat this, but got to wander 4 holes at Pac Harbour that day in August. So glad of that time, just to meet him. You never would have known what he was going through if you didn't know him.

An absolute class bloke who will be sorely missed. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

And the TV is now playing that "Ain't no sunshine when he's gone" ad in the next room. Awful, yet appropriate.

RIP Leon
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Golf not just about the scores you shoot or your hadicap or the clubs you use,its also about the people you meet,unfortuanatley i didn't get to play with Leon [Jaster} but Jarro always mentioned him so he must have been a pretty good bloke to go 18 with.My heart felt feelings go out to his wife and children.
    Heres hoping theres an Augusta in the sky.
    Mike.

He's wasn't the first person who openly grimaced when they first saw my grip, nor will he be the last. Top Bloke who in the 10 minutes I spoke to him, came off as a champion bloke. I think when I first met him he had been diagnosed over 6 months prior and I had no idea he was even sick. It wasn't until about 2 months later I discovered via a post on this forum that he had cancer. Kind of shows how positive he was when he got out and about.

AP - how about a trophy for player of the year, so everyone has a chance to win the Treadwell Plate/Cup, not just low markers?

Thommo
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Blog Entries

How about OzGolfer of the Year? Does not have to be best player/scorer/lowest marker but the Ozgolfer that does what Leon set this place up to be and encourage. The best all round Ozgolfer!

I reckon that is what he set this place up to encourage
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

As soon as I saw the title to this thread my heart sank. I didnt open it for a while, just hoping that it was going to be a thread about a great remission even though I knew it wasn't. Everytime I dealt with Leon he was 100% positive. I hope each and everyone one of us can take that kind of enthusiasm and love of life from this. If he could be as positive and helpful, as upbeat and friendly through all he was dealing with, I really have no excuse for not acting with as much class and dignity as he did.

You'll be missed Leon. A better place awaits.

Rob
    Fat, drunk, and five-over-par is no way to go through life, son.

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Burner TP 14.5 Ozik 8M2 X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    Callaway X-Forged 4 Dot 4-PW PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 50*, 54*, 58* PX 6.5
    YES! Dianna

Funeral arrangements have been made.

The service will be held Friday 15th December at 1pm at :

Hume Ridge Church Of Christ
    461 Hume Street
    Toowoomba
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Blog Entries

Is there a fund that his family would like people to donate to rather than send flowers?
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    Funeral arrangements have been made.

The service will be held Friday 15th December at 1pm at :

Hume Ridge Church Of Christ
    461 Hume Street
    Toowoomba
    Is anyone thinking of going up on Friday?

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

as much as it pains me to say, i don't think i'll be able to make it
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas
    Is anyone thinking of going up on Friday?
    Yes, I'll be going.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Yep, I'll be going too.

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I'd like to try and get there. Friday is always a challenge for us with Sandy working and Meghan in daycare. I'll work something out, but might be able to get the car for the day if I can get home by 4-ish..

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

I've been reading these messages since early Monday morning - not knowing what to say or write - just in tears. 2006 has been some year -miracles and devastation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    Is there a fund that his family would like people to donate to rather than send flowers?
    Grant - I think this is a fabulous idea - count us (Brad & I) in.

Thread Information