Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Considering joining club in Melbourne

They’re trying to cater for an International market; problem is most rich yanks will play RM, KH then move onto Barnbougle or King Island with the limited time they have.

They need better incentives for the local interstate visitor/green fee player market to make the business model have a consistent flow of income, rather than relying on rich people to pay exorbitant prices. Australia does not have the economy of China, Japan or the USA and most of the wealthy golfers here will play interstate on reciprocal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I love the place but the price point is maybe not quite right.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    SH, that could be because it is too hard for any lady other than a very accomplished player!
    I watched a lady get around there without any more trouble than the rest of the choppers in her group.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    I watched a lady get around there without any more trouble than the rest of the choppers in her group.
    Her bunker shot on 18 was magnificent.

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Quote Originally Posted by mezzanotte View Post
    Hi all, looking for some advice on clubs to join in Melbourne. I tend to play 2 times a week (would like to make it 3), with 1-2 times per week on the range mixed in. I've been thinking it may make more financial sense for me to join a club. I generally play on the weekend, but am getting out more early mornings on weekdays.

So far, I've considered, in general order of driving distance from me: Yarra Yarra, Spring Valley, Churchill-Waverley, Rosanna, Southern GC, Woodlands, Cardinia Beaconhills, Settler's Run, Gardiner's Run, Yering Meadows and Eastern GC.

Seems Yarra Yarra, Rosanna and Woodlands are pretty expensive for me ($10k+ joining fees, but I'm not 100% sure about that or their annual subscriptions). Rosanna seems nice, but its membership application process is a bit opaque, plus I'd really prefer to avoid the 'mudbelt' (assuming its regarded as part of the 'mudbelt'). I heard Woodlands' waiting list is really long. Churchill-Waverley has ugly powerlines going over it. Cardinia Beaconhills, Settler's Run and Gardiner's Run all seem nice, but a bit far at 45-60 mins drive for me. Heard Yering Meadows has a gun club next door, which is distracting. Recently heard bad things about Eastern GC's course design.

I know there are plenty of exclusive, expensive Sandbelt clubs I've left out, like Commonwealth, Metro, Capital, Victoria, RMGC, Huntingdale and Kingston Heath. I'm obviously just not sure about their actual fees (joining and annual), membership process and waiting lists.

This has kind of left me with Spring Valley and Southern GC, which seem to be decent 2nd/3rd tier Sandbelt courses reasonably close to me. I've heard their waiting lists are not that crushing.

Spring Valley's joining fee is $6000 and 7-day membership currently ranges from $4019 - $5024 p.a. I know from one of Spring Valley's annual reports that some of its land has recently been acquired by the local council, but planning maps show it won't likely affect the layout or holes (it seems the acquisition just partly cuts into a track of trees). It's been acquired as part of the council's redevelopment of the of the old adjacent rubbish tip as part of the Sandbelt Parkland project.

Southern GC's joining fee is apparently $2000 and 7-day membership ranges from $3055 - $3760 p.a. Unfortunately, their range is very short, so no driving allowed.

For me, I'd prioritise a club with good practice facilities and decent course conditions (doesn't have to be incredible).

What I'd like help with is understanding:
    (1) how people rate the above courses/facilities;
    (2) how people make the most of their memberships (beyond playing as regularly as possible);
    (3) how important club practice facilities to you are;
    (4) how important travel time to and from your club is to you;
    (5) if any of the things I've heard about the above clubs are wrong/misconceptions;
    (6) if I should consider any other clubs; and
    (7) anything else I should know or try to find out about clubs?

Cheers all.

Hey mate,
    I heard of this thread from the boys at the Vic Champs earlier in the week... here are my 2 cents
    I have been a member a Southern, Spring Valley, Keysie and am now at Yarra Yarra.

Yarra Yarra:
    Excellent course (8/10) and an even better club (10/10). The most welcoming membership I have met.
    Practice facilities are probably the only failing of the club, the range is a bit short and sometimes they make it irons only. But given what I have seen in a year of being a member, it is being worked on and will be fixed soon. I dont know of a timeline though and it is not of huge importance to me given I dont practice much.
    Clubhouse is well visited on most comp days with 20cent banter happening thursday and saturday. I felt a strong sense to "my club" within a month of joining up. Proshop and clubhouse staff are top notch.
    Timesheets are pretty full on but most people get a spot even if its via the waitlist.
    Last I checked, joining fee for 35+ is $12K and 7 day subs are $5700.
    I'd be happy to have you over for a hit and introduce you around if you are keen.

Keysie:
    Pretty decent course layout and conditions (7/10)
    Very good "working- mans" club, friendly membership.
    I enjoyed my 2.5 years at Keysie and only left because a friend asked me to join YY with him.

Spring Valley:
    Decent course layout but in the ~1.5 years that I was there, it was not in decent enough shape often enough.
    I did not find any discernible membership camaraderie whatsoever, hardly anyone stayed for a drink after the round.
    Would not recommend anyone join there if you want to be part of a golf club but it might suit you if you only want to play golf.

Southern:
    Was there for ~2 years. The course is always in decent shape and I thought was good VFM.
    There was not much in terms of camaraderie within the members except for the cliques that have been playing together for years.
    Depending on how much you pay, its decent VFM for the money if playing golf is your first priority.

Reach out if you want to chat more.....

Cheers,
    Krish

Blog Entries

Good summary there by MM. His comments about YY are why you join a good club rather than a golf course. If u r 35, you should check out junior programs (if u have kids). All the good clubs have very cheap rates for kids to join and excellent junior programs. The club becomes a destination for the family rather than a Dad guilt trip taking up 6 hours on a Saturday or Sunday!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 LST 9* Driver with CB55 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    TM Stealth 2 Hybrid with Nemeses 90 M4 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Join YY, simples

Krish, this is the type of detail this chat needed + the four clubs I've been researching. Bravo

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Does not surprise me, what was the accommodation like guys? Heard rumors that it’s pretty ordinary for the price

Luxurious...
    Attached Images
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

is that back in the bands room after a Village People concert?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post

Luxurious...
    Indeed, while we are on the topic which one of you here did a Steven Bradbury?

Last in line but came first

Thread Information