Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default WDYSTM - January 2024

Looks like I get to kick the new year off.

Got a game at Tea Tree Gully with the old man after one of their group pulled out.
    A game of what could of been.
    Hit it really well from tee to green but putted like a busted.
    7 Greens in reg on the front 9 and 3 jiggled 5 of them for a very disappointing 16pts.
    Started the back nine with a majestic big draw 5wood back over the tree line 2 meters over the back of the green. Chose the putter as the grass was tight and flat but left it wide and 10 foot short. 3 jiggled from there when the second horse shoed to rack up the 6th 3 jiggle in 10 holes. Played the rest without a 3 jiggle and dunked one in the water going for a tight back pin (another foot and I would have had a good birdie chance) for 19pts.

35pts
    1x Birdie
    7x pars
    3x doubles
    6x 3 jiggles
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

What a start to 2024 for me. Great drive, great second shot, great chip that lipped out for eagle, so a tap in birdie. Could the rest of 2024 possibly live up to the start?

Of course not, but 38 points is a great start to the year. Twice I hit the flag from distance for close birdie putts, giving me a stableford sequence of 4,1,1,1,4 over a 5 hole stretch. A lot of good shots, not many bad ones, so I'm happy. And it didn't rain despite a forecast of up to 80mm of rain.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

In the year in review thread I said my one target for 2024 was to be a single figure golfer again. I'm on target so far, after losing a shot on Monday, and it'll stay off after today for at least one more round.

I had a quite good 35 points off my new 9 handicap today. It was a good 35 because I had a bad start and was 2 down after 4, throwing away shots around the greens, but after that played quite well, only dropping a shot at the last when it started raining.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Got off to a great start for the year turning at +1 for 20 points, hit 4/6 fairways and 6/9 greens, but unfortunately started hitting loose shots and making silly mistakes with the putter on the back 9 to come in with only 13 points.

At McLeod tomorrow.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

9 holes (front) at Berri GC today. Had 40 off the stick (+4). Whilst a little errant off the tee with the driver, my short game was solid with only 10 putts and a chip in for birdie on 2. Feel like my game is trending in the right direction with all the practice I've been doing at home in the nets. Just need more time on the course to put it into practice.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    9 holes (front) at Berri GC today. Had 40 off the stick (+4). Whilst a little errant off the tee with the driver, my short game was solid with only 10 putts and a chip in for birdie on 2. Feel like my game is trending in the right direction with all the practice I've been doing at home in the nets. Just need more time on the course to put it into practice.
    Looks like you were around the corner, I had a hit at Renmark yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Looks like you were around the corner, I had a hit at Renmark yesterday.Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Oh wow haha. I leave Sunday. Come play twilight tomorrow arvo at Berri.. What was Renmark like? Very interested to know.

Better day today, shooting 78 around McLeod for 37 points. Probably the most consistent round I've had to date, playing 16/18 holes in +2. Unfortunately a double and triple on 7 and 9 ruined what could have been a new low round but overall pretty happy with the day.

Black marker stroke round at Oxley tomorrow, hopefully keep the good play up.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    Better day today, shooting 78 around McLeod for 37 points. Probably the most consistent round I've had to date, playing 16/18 holes in +2. Unfortunately a double and triple on 7 and 9 ruined what could have been a new low round but overall pretty happy with the day. Black marker stroke round at Oxley tomorrow, hopefully keep the good play up.
    Good going. How's McLeod looking?

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Good going. How's McLeod looking?
    Cheers mate. Yeah it's looking alright, the rough is pretty hairy although they were going around cutting it. Fairways and greens were good, greens were a bit slow for my liking but rolled well. Bunkers weren't in good condition at all but they are GUR. A few soggy areas in the low spots, one of which contributed to the triple on 9, but overall not bad and I enjoyed the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Looks like you were around the corner, I had a hit at Renmark yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Also keen to hear what you thought the course was like?
    Did you stay on course, if so keen to hear what that was like too.
    There’s been a multitude of horror stories from locals with what’s happened / been happening with the joint over the last 3-4 years.
    Very interested in a non local point of view.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Stupid stupid stupid game!

After paying so bad off the tee last game, I left my driver home and put my 3 wood back in my bag. Proceeded to miss every fairway through the first 8 holes (including one with hybrid), but while I didn't par the three par 3's I played them ok, but couldn't putt. Finished the first 8 holes +16 (which goes well with the +17 for 9 last week).

So on the 9th, I ditched the woods and hybrid, and started teeing off with my 1i.
    Went par/par with two fairways in reg. Missed the next two fairways, but was trying to hit low stingers...... pull hooks were the results! So pulled my head back in and didn't miss another fairway, though I did tee with a 5i and 6i on two of the holes. Finished +8 for the next 10 holes, but my short game was ordinary (not surprising since I don't play) and my putting was pretty woeful too, with 20 putts over those 10 holes but should have been at least 4 less.
    What a friggin stupid game this is! I love it 😁
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

A bad round was due to happen at some point, and that point was today. It was mainly a bad back 9 as the front 9 wasn't too bad at +5, but I just got annoyed with the rain that came by on the 11th and pretty much checked out mentally after butchering several holes. Ended up shooting 90/81 🤦🏻*♂️

Oh well, there's always next time.

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Monthly Medal/Mug - Stroke
    93 gross (46/47)/72 nett
    By recent standards, played quite well. Found myself mis-hitting far fewer clubs after a quick lesson/adjustment earlier in the week.
    Sadly, had a brutal 4 putt on the 6th after a total speed mis-read from 50 or so feet followed by losing the guts to attack on the subsequent 15 foot downhill then a push. Aside from that only had a single other 3 putt (3rd) which by my average is an improvement.
    Even better (from my side), no triples were entered on the card. Sure there were some doubles and bogeys but no triples which is the first time in a few months so was happy with that.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - January 2024

06/01/2024, Wolston Park GC, Gold Tees (Scr 66 Sl 119 Par 67), Monthly Medal + Putting.

Strokes Gained (SG) vs Scratch.

Scoring PPPPBBPPb PBPPPPPBX; 36-36-72 (+1:+4:+5) nett 67.
    Played to 4.7. Golflink 5.8 (-0.3).

I went into the round knowing that most of my good scores are from the blue tees, and not the golds (back markers). I was pretty happy with one over through nine, although this was from a supreme short game, and not from my approaches. I was hitting chips and long putts from the fringe to within a metre, and it didn't feel like it would be sustainable for another nine, however it did continue, and I put together a really good score despite another ordinary ball striking round. The irons started to come good towards the end though, so hopefully that carries over. It's a shame about the stumble on the last two holes, but they are index 1 and 2, and they are very tough to negotiate, although my drive on 18 was a bit of a choke. Pretty costly double too, as I lost third on a countback. My 26 putts was two off winning the putting.
    Last edited by AndyP; 1st March 2024 at 08:38 PM.

Monthly Medal yesterday at Cairns, playing off my new handicap of 8.1

Managed to put together a good first 9 (tee'd off on 10) shooting 3 over. Stumbled coming home with a couple of poor swings and 2 three putts to end up shooting 81 net 73 (one over handicap). Not unhappy but certainly could tidy up the short game. The handicap has now dropped 7.7 which is the lowest I have ever been.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Gold Creek Open

Never go full retard? I domed my first 4 tee shots and had woods into shortish par 4s 4 times on the front 9.

86 yesterday, 83 today. Today might be a flag.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

28 crappy points today playing off 6. Perhaps I let it get in my head a bit instead of just going and playing golf.

At least I got a consolation NTP, first one for a while.

33 in a really lacklustre, low energy round yesterday.

I’m quite the grinder.

Member Trainee Pro

Had a boys trip at the weekend with lots of beers especially on the Friday night.
    Had 36 points off the tips at Mount Broughton Friday
    37 at Gerringong Saturday
    27 at Port Kembla Sunday
    Desicion making on Sunday was the problem above all else.

Gerringong a very fun track if anyone gets the chance to play it btw
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

First game since October, given the exorbitant fees we pay I have to get out more this year or chuck it in.

Went out with zero expectations and said to a mate yesterday that anything north of 28 would be more than acceptable. Putted well and birdied the last for 39pts.

Only had a single 1 pointer, so some positives, playing next week.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

83/75 in midweek medal.

Four doubles.
    One ball in the water. One ball out of bounds. Two 4 putts.

FMD.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

30 points at Stirling today off 12
    Just not quite consistent enough. Ok off the tee but quandered some chances on approaches and around the greens.
    7/12 fairways
    4/18 GIR although left 3 or 4 on the fringe
    35 putts (inc 3x 3 putts)

Feels good to be playing comps semi regularly however and swing has improved a lot over the past 3-4 months.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

I didn't bother posting my fairly non-event 35 point round on Monday.

So I'll post my fairly non-event 35 point round today. Same score, but a worse round. The absolute highlight is one-putting the last 7 greens. Pity two of them were to save bogey (both tap-ins after duffing a chip then hitting a beauty), and none of them were to make birdie. I'm not winning anything with 35 points, but they are flag rounds, so there's that to enjoy.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I didn't bother posting my fairly non-event 35 point round on Monday.
    This counts as posting it.

Thread Information