Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Still playing off 22 so apologies if higher scores are not what the intent or purpose of the thread is but I have no shame so happy to be embarrassed with my game (so I will tell myself)

Stableford - 29 points so stroke would have been 100 again

Started on 10 and went bogey, bogey (index #1), double, bogey (index #2), bogey, bogey and then it went pear shaped. triple, triple and a 3 putt double (4 putt counting the long texas)
    On the front was bogey, double, bogey, bogey, pickup after the playing partners 'lost' my ball in flight across trees and to lazy to go back to replay (index 3), bogey, bogey (index 4), bogey and the standard double on 9 to finish.

Yep, not one par but a few looks at the hole.

From the tee the game was ok. A few were quite good by my usual standards but generally I miss fairways and find tress so was a usual day.
    Really happy with the irons. Cheap set and starting to find a rhythym although I have bought my 35 years older 3 and 4 irons in to the set as hybrids and me get along as well as my wife and her mother (they have not spoken for 15 years)
    Putting was a challenge. Have reverted to an old putter andt he greens were cored a few weeks back but they were not good. Some bumps but speed was just slow, like seriously slow. Feel like you hit a good putt and it comes up 5 feet short slow.

May sound weird but all up was happy with the day. Only the 11th card I have gotten in but found some consistency returning in ball strike with the irons and on the plus, nailed my 5 wood (old set) 3 times off the deck which is a good sign for me.

Ah well, to next week's embarrassment

Last edited by gco0307; 10th September 2023 at 04:38 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by gco0307 View Post
    Still playing off 22 so apologies if higher scores are not what the intent or purpose of the thread

This doesn’t matter

Quote Originally Posted by gco0307 View Post

May sound weird but all up was happy with the day.

This does.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Played at Wolston Park today with AndyP. He played great (but i will let him share his story). I only managed 30 points. I really struggled to make solid contact today. Might have been a bit fatigued after playing yesterday. Hit some OK pitch shots and bunker shots, but just got into too much trouble. Ahh well.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Played at Redland bay yesterday with the social club. Didn't start well with two doubles but played the rest of the 9 in even par so it wasn't too bad in the end. Unfortunately the back 9 was rubbish, mainly due to three bad holes although the quad on 18 probably would have been avoided if the bunker actually had sand in it as opposed to just looking like it did. Three skulls into the lip of which a couple exposed the hard clay under the lack of sand depth. Finally got out on the fourth attempt just playing a normal chip shot. I'm not sure if they're in the process of sorting this out, I landed in another one earlier and it was fine. Still a pretty shitty way to finish the round. Ended up with 85, 73 nett there, would have been 77 off my real handicap.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM September 2023

10/09/2023, Wolston Park GC, Blue Tees (Scr 65 Sl 117 Par 67), Stableford.

Strokes Gained (SG) vs Scratch

Scoring bPPPPPbbP BPPPBPBBb; 34-35-69 (-1:+3:+2); stab 21-19-40pts.
    Played to 3.9. Golflink 7.3 (-0.9).

Really good round yesterday. I basically conceded a bogey on the first by playing an iron off the tee to try to take the regular double bogies out of play, so to finish the front nine one under after that was pretty awesome. Driving was the best it has been for a while, which may be related to having a few days off the speed training. The irons were solid, except when taking 4 iron as a conservative option off the tee instead of driver. The short game and the putting were excellent. I got a bit tight late, choking on a very short putt on the 17th, but made up for it, by holing out from a bunker on 18.

I'm pretty sure that is at least the best score on the front nine in comp, and equal best score at the course in its current format.

Well played AndyP. You could have easily been 2-3 better than that without the 3-putts and some bad luck in a couple of spots. Easily the best I've seen you play, especially off the tee and your general ball striking. The power stick training you have been doing is obviously paying off. As for putting, I don't know how you manage to putt well on those greens, they're diabolical.

golflink WITB

Nice round Andy!

What were the greens like? I haven't been there for over a year and they were ok but too slow for me. The only one that was stuffed was 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    Nice round Andy!

What were the greens like? I haven't been there for over a year and they were ok but too slow for me. The only one that was stuffed was 17.
    Firstly, it was Sunday, so they had had two days of traffic and growth on them, so they are always worse then. Disease has gone through 2,3,6,7,12, and 13, but there are others that aren't good either, because they don't get enough sun (4, 8, and 17, in particular). 11 is a new-ish green and has been shit from the start. That doesn't leave a lot that are "good".

Renovations are happening at the start of October, so hopefully there is some improvement, or at least consistency from green to green after that.
    Last edited by AndyP; 11th September 2023 at 11:37 AM.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Gold Creek Open Day Saturday. Daily cap of 6, off the whites. 33 points, 9 bogies and 9 pars.

NSW today, off the blues. Daily cap of 11. 33 points, 4 wipes, 2 birdies.

Wow. What a track!!!

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Stableford yesterday.
    Playing off 22 (20.9)
    36 Points. 18 front and 18 back among a mixed bag of performance but improving consistency

Round went.
    Wipe (2nd OOB), bogey, par, bogey, triple but 1 point (rated 3), par, par for 4 points and first par on this hole (rated 4), bogey and the normal 3 putt double on hole 9.
    Bogey (3 putts), bogey (rated 1), double with the usual 3 putt effort, double (rated 2), par, bogey, double including a left handed shot from against a tree, par and a bogey to finish.

On the 5th for the round I went OOB again for the second time in the round with both OOB being under 18 inches out but weirdly, all 4 in the group went OOB on 5 yesterday. Thankfully it was not an Ambrose.

Still getting there. Changed driver a little and teed lower which seemed to help. Irons were pretty good and chipped ok but still the green get me. Very two-paced after coring and variable between very slow and slow but I just cannot bring myself to strike the putt. Happy with teh lines I am picking but pace is lacking. Oh well, keeping at it and still enjoying myself.

Now that gives me 12 rounds so down to the average of teh best 4 and have now dropped to teh lowest i have been, 20.6 and playing off 21.

And, won the NTp on 6th for the grade so a comfortable day
    Last edited by gco0307; 17th September 2023 at 06:20 PM.

26 yesterday.

28 today after 7 on the front 9, and a wipe on the back. Pretty much rubbish, although I started to find my swing again on the back 9 today, so hopefully can keep that going on Saturday.

31 points at Wynnum on Saturday. Parred the first, which is always a worry, then scored one point on the next 3 holes after some crazy bad luck. Parred a decent stretch of holes in the middle and came home with pars on the last 3, but still pretty rusty esp. pitching and putting.

golflink WITB

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Had our open on the weekend.

Had every score from 2-9 over the two days.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Member Club Pro

34 on Sunday with a howling wind, ended up 2nd in A grade.

Hitting the ball really well, but not converting at all. Still some dumb 3 putts, plus a couple of piss missiles.

2 weeks in a row playing in really windy conditions and actually really liking it, despite not being able to hit stingers I've been enjoying hitting shots using the wind, a 150 meter 7 iron with about 30 meters of drift in to the last to 8 feet a highlight.

Default WDYSTM September 2023

16/09/2023, Wolston Park GC, Blue Tees (Scr 65 Sl 117 Par 67), Stroke.

Strokes Gained (SG) vs Scratch

Scoring BBPPPXPPP PXBBPPXBB; 39-40-79 (+4:+8:+12) nett 74.
    Played to 13.5. Golflink 7.3 (-0.0).

I noticed during the week that I had a good streak of 30 plus point handicap scores going in golflink, so it was inevitable that I'd have 29. It didn't feel like I deserved a 29 though, as on the whole I was striking it pretty well. The greens were lightly scarified (why would they do this two weeks before the yearly renovation?), so the putts were deviating off their line. I even prematurely celebrated a chip in on 17 (I should have learnt by this point) only for the ball to dart away just before the hole. Probably 3 shots or so lost because of the greens. Plus a penalty on the first yet again and paying big for a couple of other dud shots sent the score out.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Monthly medal yesterday, of the blacks. Seems my ability is inversely proportional to my proximity to the hole...

12/14 fairways, and only 1 of those misses resulted in being partially blocked by a tree (and the other miss lead to my only birdie for the round). 2 poor doubles, one after putting it in the bunker (and getting plugged) from 95 out in the middle of the fairway.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

4BBB/Single Stab, 79/39pts, 2 birdies, 6 pars, 9 bogies, 1 double. Hcp dropped .9 to 11.4.

Hit everything pretty well except my irons, only hit 2 solid irons all day and both were 5i, hitting a big cut and draw around trees, everything else was fat or thin.

Short game was good and kept me out of trouble, new lob worked well, and went back to the Ping Fetch putter at 33" which also worked well.

Just need to get all parts of the game working at the same time 😀
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

40 points
    3 birdies
    5 bogies
    10 pars
    27 putts
    13-14 fairways hit.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goonie View Post
    4BBB/Single Stab, 79/39pts, 2 birdies, 6 pars, 9 bogies, 1 double. Hcp dropped .9 to 11.4.

Hit everything pretty well except my irons, only hit 2 solid irons all day and both were 5i, hitting a big cut and draw around trees, everything else was fat or thin.

Short game was good and kept me out of trouble, new lob worked well, and went back to the Ping Fetch putter at 33" which also worked well.

Just need to get all parts of the game working at the same time 😀
    Good to hear the new wedge is working.

I finally played to my new handicap on Saturday. 38 points. Hit some nice iron shots, but also some awful ones too and my usual assortment of piss missiles and flubs around the greens.

golflink WITB

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    Good to hear the new wedge is working.

I finally played to my new handicap on Saturday. 38 points. Hit some nice iron shots, but also some awful ones too and my usual assortment of piss missiles and flubs around the greens.
    Sounds like if we both get our irons working we will be on our way back to single figure handicaps.
    WITB
    Odyssey 7S OG

Quote Originally Posted by goonie View Post
    Sounds like if we both get our irons working we will be on our way back to single figure handicaps.
    ideally, yes. I need to find some time for chipping, pitching and bunker play practice.

golflink WITB

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    ideally, yes. I need to find some time for chipping, pitching and bunker play practice.
    That is the part of the game that is saving me ATM, it was no where when I came back from the tennis elbow, but a few sessions at the short game practice area working on my setup, and someone pointing out I was deaccelerating thru impact on my pitch shots and it is much better now.
    Also check out some Dan Grieve videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eknWaPzaTjs and maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yLYYz_5Z8c
    WITB
    Odyssey 7S OG

30 and 32 points over the weekend. Slowly improving/getting my swing back to where it was. Fortunately the short game and putting were parts of my game that didn't really deteriorate the past few months. Probably be a little while longer before I can get back to single figures but I'm determined to get there.
    I've been hitting the driver more consistently the last couple of weeks, so if I can keep that up and fix up my iron play I'll be on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    40 points
    3 birdies
    5 bogies
    10 pars
    27 putts
    13-14 fairways hit.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    good shooting mate!

golflink WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Best round in a while, although it was far from perfect. The 5th at Sandy is killing me at the moment. Turned it on from the 6th though, and probably should've been a shot or two lower - had a bunch of 8-15 foot birdie putts that didn't go in, and missed a (somewhat slippery) 4 footer for birdie on 15).

PBPBXbPbb-PPbPPPPPb 69/39pts

Strokes gained follows the same pattern as my last round - chipping & putting hurting me.

Thread Information