Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Mount Compass Golf Club, Sunday 27 August 9AM

Booked for 9AM, 27th August, 4 players:

1. TC PL
    2. Hatchy PL
    3. HP PL
    4. DMG PL
    Last edited by thecollective; 14th August 2023 at 06:55 PM.

Enjoy the round lads. Should be a good day!
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    We all know what the Yum Yums order for lunch (and breakfast)... golf balls.

I'll be happy to reduce looking time and just drop... lunch is more important to me (and I don't use Pro V1s)!
    Biggest gain is time on green and transition between tees. I play in 3:30 every Sunday (3 ball mind you) and that feels medium pace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Biggest gain is time on green and transition between tees. I play in 3:30 every Sunday (3 ball mind you) and that feels medium pace
    If we play ready golf... we'll be fine.

Senior Member Major Winner

Default Mount Compass Golf Club, Sunday 27 August 9AM

Thanks TC, HP and DMG for the game yesterday.
    Great company, course was in excellent condition and lunch while not quite the simple Schnit or Burgers was excellent and worth it from my end.
    Patches of something that resembled Golf from everyone during parts of the game. In true Mount Compass fashion the Cookie Monster dined out at various stages of the game.

Yum Yums 3 - Hatchman 0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQE0LQ...cyBjb29raWU%3D
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Thanks for the hit guys, great to catch up after all this time

Course was looking very tidy after more clearing, lots more tight grass. Greens were impressively quick, took 3 holes to get used to the speed.

In terms of lunch Mount Compass has gone very 'white-table-cloth' and the menu resembled more of a fine dining place than a golf course. In saying that the pasta I had was good and worth the coin as Hatch pointed out

A very quiet course though I must point out. Whilst the course probably is worth $75 im questioning whether they actually have the market to sustain it. I counted about 3 groups pass the 10-11 over about an hour

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Thanks for the hit guys, great to catch up after all this timeCourse was looking very tidy after more clearing, lots more tight grass. Greens were impressively quick, took 3 holes to get used to the speed.In terms of lunch Mount Compass has gone very 'white-table-cloth' and the menu resembled more of a fine dining place than a golf course. In saying that the pasta I had was good and worth the coin as Hatch pointed outA very quiet course though I must point out. Whilst the course probably is worth $75 im questioning whether they actually have the market to sustain it. I counted about 3 groups pass the 10-11 over about an hour
    Agree RE the price. My cousins and I are planning a trip down to Goolwa/Victor area and $75 is a fair stretch for one round. If the restaurant is going down the same path they need to be careful not to price themselves out of the market.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Thanks for the round fellas. Company was tops as always. A few birdie chances (from very odd shot selections), added to the pleasure.

If:
    Yum Yums = y
    Balls Lost = x
    Balls Found = f
    Number of Shots = n

Then:
    xy + fn = 0

Its an interesting topic for discussion on cost per round and sustainably.
    I’ve always had the feeling that Golf on the Fluriue peninsula has tried to be like Melbourne’s Mornington peninsula.
    Sadly Adelaide does not have the population or the amount of rich list to make $75 Green Fees look like your average normal round of Golf.
    Add in Mount Compass is a very penal course wide of the fairway. Time spent looking and lost balls is pretty much normal several times a round in a group. Not to sure your every day weekend chopper likes paying $75 to look for balls and lose a heap.
    It’s truly a course that caters for the Golfer that appreciates the challenge and accepts they should be punished for really poor Golf shots.
    Lady Bay is more forgiving in comparison but I enjoy Mount Compass a lot more but at $75 I’m not sure I’d like to play it 4-5 times a year.
    The restaurant is aimed more at the non Golfer and by the number of people in there it looks like it’s going ok. I don’t think there’s a large amount of competition for fine dining down that way.

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post
    Thanks for the round fellas. Company was tops as always. A few birdie chances (from very odd shot selections), added to the pleasure.

If:
    Yum Yums = y
    Balls Lost = x
    Balls Found = f
    Number of Shots = n

Then:
    xy + fn = 0
    Well played HP after our lunch discussion re: you either get complex Math or you just don’t.
    An added touch would have been something = u so it spelt out fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W.I.T.B

If:
    Yum Yums = y
    eeeeffffffffffff that!
    I lost 3 balls.

Great day! Thanks for the excellent company gents, and thanks again for getting it happening TC! A touch chilly in the morning, but ended up being pretty perfect. I was very impressed with the clearing that has been done, as it does make for a much more accessible course for a ~20 HC'er like myself. Of course, the Yum Yums will always be hungry.

Worth noting that the restaurant is not the only option. Front bar and associated menu are still an option, although can't comment on the pricing (assuming it's more in line with burger $, etc.).

Upon arrival...
    Attached Images

Gents,

On an SA trip (well the two I've done) we head down thru McLaren Vale on the Saturday and play Links Lady Bay due to difficulty getting on the timesheets in Adelaide. I think LLB is passable, I would prefer to go to Morphetville but I don't always get my way.

Is Mount Compass a better option? Price indifferent, looking for a better course/day out. Pic above looks good. We have ended up at The Victory after golf so it looks easier from Mt Compass, or alternatively we just hang out there.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Gents,

On an SA trip (well the two I've done) we head down thru McLaren Vale on the Saturday and play Links Lady Bay due to difficulty getting on the timesheets in Adelaide. I think LLB is passable, I would prefer to go to Morphetville but I don't always get my way.

Is Mount Compass a better option? Price indifferent, looking for a better course/day out. Pic above looks good. We have ended up at The Victory after golf so it looks easier from Mt Compass, or alternatively we just hang out there.

Personally I'd take Mt C over LLB any day - but I really dislike LLB so more than a bit biased! To me Mt C as a course has much more character and is more interesting to play - a less boring walk/ride too.

Gents,

Mount Compass over LLB every day of the week for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W.I.T.B

Gents,

I'll echo what others have said. Compass over LLB. On the LLB the front 9 and up to 12 on the back are passable, but 13 on is just a bit meh. Have never really enjoyed those holes. Par 3 17th isn't bad, I guess.

Compass is a beautiful spot, and really consistent in feel throughout the 18.

Cheers boys, could just sort the sizing on your beers next.

Just order a jug and avoid the confusion!

Had a colleague from Port Macquarie join me all this week

All he did was ask the pub for a glass sizing demo (what sizes are available) got the correct term and stuck to it

Simples

Last edited by thecollective; 31st August 2023 at 06:49 PM.

Thread Information