Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Forster Golf Trip 2024 Help/Ideas

I have a group of 28 golfers from Port Kembla GC planning a trip up to Forster for 5 days in March next year and we will be playing the 2 Forster courses and I am looking for information on where else we should play either on the way up from Wollongong or on the way home that is near that area. I know all the Nelson Bay courses but wanted to look at those closer to Forster and some that I can find include Hawks Nest, Tallwoods, Bulahdelah, Karuah, etc....any feedback would be appreciated....Stu
    Ping G430 10K 10.5* Ping Tour 65S Shaft
    Royal Collection 18* 5 Wood
    Ping G425 3/4 Hybrid Stock Regular
    Cobra MIM King 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Ping Glide 3.0 56/60
    Scotty Newport

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

If you’re driving all the way up from Wollongong and basing yourself at Forster then day tripping a little further north to other mid north courses like Port Mac, Coffs, Nambucca, Sawtell, South West Rocks would be well worth it. On the way up or back it depends how far off the highway you want to go on the way past central coast or Newy. Detouring to Newcastle, Belmont or Magenta would be on my list.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Newcastle would be a definite stop on the way!

Can help with magenta if needed to

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Its been 18 years but the Hawks Nest course was worth a game if traveling near by!
    I would second playing Newcastle gc (at Fern Bay)…whilst u can! Great golf course!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 LST 9* Driver with CB55 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    TM Stealth 2 Hybrid with Nemeses 90 M4 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Karuah is vulgar. Stay away.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

So we settled on bypassing Newcastle and Nelson Bay, etc this trip in March 2024 and first stop on Monday Day1 was to be Hawksnest then Forster Tuncurry, Tallwoods, then Forster Tuncurry again and Macquarie Links on way home....but....just been informed Hawksnest is being cored on that day. We would prefer somewhere within 1-1.5hrs on the way to Forster and I notice Kurri Kurri. Can anyone help me with this course regards condition/play worthiness/etc or suggest any alternative 18 hole course between Newcastle M1 exit and Forster??
    Ping G430 10K 10.5* Ping Tour 65S Shaft
    Royal Collection 18* 5 Wood
    Ping G425 3/4 Hybrid Stock Regular
    Cobra MIM King 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Ping Glide 3.0 56/60
    Scotty Newport

Blog Entries

Stuart, I would travel 3 hours out of my way to play Newcastle. Forget the rest on the way up!
    Gamers

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartd147 View Post
    So we settled on bypassing Newcastle and Nelson Bay, etc this trip in March 2024 and first stop on Monday Day1 was to be Hawksnest then Forster Tuncurry, Tallwoods, then Forster Tuncurry again and Macquarie Links on way home....but....just been informed Hawksnest is being cored on that day. We would prefer somewhere within 1-1.5hrs on the way to Forster and I notice Kurri Kurri. Can anyone help me with this course regards condition/play worthiness/etc or suggest any alternative 18 hole course between Newcastle M1 exit and Forster??
    I am a member at Kurri so feel free to take this with or without bias

- Course is Par 71
    - I find it relatively good and challenging but I am returning to golf after a long break. Coming from Port Kembla will see a massive drop in condition to what you are used to (source - was a member at kembla grange and lived near Port GC for years)
    - Fairways at Kurri are good but mown very tight due to the underlying flint rock
    - Miss the fairway and you will be in gravel sized rocks on most holes - there is a local 'rock rule' allowing clearing etc but it is a club damager
    - Heavily treed off the fairways. yes there are gaps but this is old timber, so most trees are high
    - Green are quite good if mown recently, but can get slow otherwise
    - Very few bunkers abound but the sand varies bunker to bunker
    - Does have some very nice challenging holes (smallest of the 3 x par 5 is 497metres) but at the same time most of the par 3 are similar length although different design and only has 1 x par 4 less than 340 metres and none longer than 378 metres
    - Clubhouse is small and basic drinks only - no food
    - But, the members and pro shop are aweseome and welcoming. The reason I joined there was due to them over other clubs where pro shop was good but the membership less welcoming (before joining, every time I went to Kurri it was 'have a chat' time but elsewhere seemd as if I was intruding (members)

IMO here, but Kurri is a good fun course and will challenge but, and again as a member this is a bit painful, but it is not a course I would say 'must' be played during a golfing holiday. For me, and not placing any in order of preference I woudl absolutely look at Newcastle (I realise you have said no, but it is seriosuly good) then consider some of those a little further out although I do not know cost/availability (Cypress Lakes or Vintage) .

PM Me direct or respond here if you want to know more

I have not yet played Maitland (Easts Maitland) or Muree (Raymond Terrace) so cannot judge either of those, sorry
    Last edited by gco0307; 14th July 2023 at 04:34 PM.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Slightly out of the way, but I'd think you would be much better off playing one of the Hunter Valley Resort courses.
    I don't know whether he endorses it or not, but SMS would know a lot about The Vintage.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Newcastle. It's not far from Hexham. So far above others

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Slightly out of the way, but I'd think you would be much better off playing one of the Hunter Valley Resort courses.
    I don't know whether he endorses it or not, but SMS would know a lot about The Vintage.
    Second best course in the area behind Newcastle. By all accounts it's in as good of condition as ever. I'm playing there in a couple of weeks so I guess I'll know for sure.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Major Winner

Yet another vote for Newcastle.
    just do it..

Whatever you pick, it'll be a faster round than Port Kembla. That place is a disgrace.
    Forum needs more banter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Second best course in the area behind Newcastle. By all accounts it's in as good of condition as ever. I'm playing there in a couple of weeks so I guess I'll know for sure.
    She is in good nick mate, browning off a bit, but still great coverage.Definitely worth a short detour if heading north on a golf trip đź‘Ť

Blog Entries

Do it soon as for some bizarre reason, NGC is changing their course in the near future.
    I shake my head at the thought of this!
    Gamers

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Do it soon as for some bizarre reason, NGC is changing their course in the near future.I shake my head at the thought of this!
    Have you seen the plans for it Pete? I like what Bob is planning to do with it. Love the current version but this should make it even better.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Blog Entries

Maybe Ron…but it is a big risk on a already very good golf course. Especially as the club is spending millions in an effort to make money…apparently!
    Gamers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Maybe Ron…but it is a big risk on a already very good golf course. Especially as the club is spending millions in an effort to make money…apparently!
    It will be funded by the seniors living development, the club has a lot of protections in place to cover itself.
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Thread Information