Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Default Retirement Course Living

My wife and I are starting to think about our retirement.

Both play Golf.

In Melbourne but will retire to NSW or Queensland.

Thinking around Newcastle / Nelsons Bay or even Northern NSW.

But am I missing a better location?

Wanted to be able to park the Golf Cart in the garage and then just drive to the course daily.

any suggestions of locations?

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

The question is a bit too general, Peter. In my opinion, the access to a golf course should not determine where you want to retire, because almost anywhere will have houses close enough to the golf course if money is no object.

You could certainly look at golf courses that were developed as land and golf packages, like Noosa Springs, Peregian, Club Pelican etc just on the Sunshine Coast, or quite a few places on the Gold Coast like Sanctuary Cove or Hope Island.

But you'll find most courses on the NSW North Coast are surrounded by residential houses.

So, pick your retirement spot based on other factors, and then look at the golf course and the real estate around it.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Guessing its more where are courses that have houses on a course?

Like Horizons Golf Resort

Living and just going in a cart onto the course to play 9 each day and then travel into Newcastle / Merewether for the special game is what I'm after.

But I dont know of other such places in NSW as I'm in Victoria

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    The question is a bit too general, Peter. In my opinion, the access to a golf course should not determine where you want to retire
    I reckon he’s got his priorities sorted. Golf is clearly the number 1 when I retire.

Followed by:

Reliable weather
    Decent pub
    Domestic Airport
    Medical Facilities

Senior Member Major Winner

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

One of my closest mates moved here from a unit on Gold Coast and was a member at Royal Pines, he loves it.

https://www.stockland.com.au/halcyon...halcyon-greens

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Note that in Qld is absolutely against the law to drive a golf cart on any public rd or path. The only exceptions is within the confines of a private resort, Sanctuary Cove, Hope Island and the like.

Unlike Victoria that allows golf carts on roads up tp a few KM's away for purpose of playing golf. Possibly the only good reason to live there.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Note that in Qld is absolutely against the law to drive a golf cart on any public rd or path. The only exceptions is within the confines of a private resort, Sanctuary Cove, Hope Island and the like.

Unlike Victoria that allows golf carts on roads up tp a few KM's away for purpose of playing golf. Possibly the only good reason to live there.
    Are you sure about that MTB? Pretty sure you can get a Conditional Rego. Quite a few of our members have them;

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/reg...ut-conditional

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    One of my closest mates moved here from a unit on Gold Coast and was a member at Royal Pines, he loves it.

https://www.stockland.com.au/halcyon...halcyon-greens
    Halcyon Greens is one of the better set ups I have seen.

this is extremely helpful.

Just want to live out my days with the Mrs playing 9 holes a day and drinks in the evening.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    I reckon he’s got his priorities sorted. Golf is clearly the number 1 when I retire.

Followed by:

Reliable weather
    Decent pub
    Domestic Airport
    Medical Facilities
    That's very close to the list of criteria I looked at. I needed relatively cheap housing, and a good shopping centre, as well.

Tell me if you can find somewhere with reliably good weather. We have wet for three months, a good winter, hot, humid and windy for three months, then hot, humid and dry for three months. Which makes it reliable, but not good. And the possibility of floods every month except September and October.

Back to Peter's question. It sounds like he would prefer a residential resort. Horizons is indeed a good example, as is Pacific Dunes in NSW. I can't think of too many others. There are plenty of similar examples on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. I'm not sure whether Queensland needs and wants more Victorians though.
    Last edited by jimandr; 15th May 2023 at 04:50 PM.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Are you sure about that MTB? Pretty sure you can get a Conditional Rego. Quite a few of our members have them; https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/reg...ut-conditional
    Ok.Now i am not sure, but i have never seen golf carts on the street ( legally). A quick google indicates a lot of vagueness. They are permitted on Hamilton Island.. but thats a resort. Seems that Conditional Rego + police permit + local coincil permit all required.

I have always understood that golf carts with rego was only for purpose of crossing public roads inside the golf course. This applies to VIC https://stringerclark.com.au/legal-blog/2019/victoria-police-vicroads-withdraw-fines-and-clarify-rules-for-driving-golf-cart-on-road

I do not recall where I found out about QLD specifics previously. But if it was possble to simply register and drive on local roads there would be many thousands doing it around here.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 15th May 2023 at 04:50 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Ok.Now i am not sure, but i have never seen golf carts on the street ( legally). A quick google indicates a lot of vagueness. They are permitted on Hamilton Island.. but thats a resort. Seems that Conditional Rego + police permit + local coincil permit all required.

I have always understood that golf carts with rego was only for purpose of crossing public roads inside the golf course. This applies to VIC https://stringerclark.com.au/legal-b...f-cart-on-road

I do not recall where I found out about QLD specifics previously. But if it was possble to simply register and drive on local roads there would be many thousands doing it around here.
    I’ve seen them at Noosa Springs among others. Like most things doesn’t mean it’s correct

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I’ve seen them at Noosa Springs among others. Like most things doesn’t mean it’s correct
    My eldest's school has a golf cart with a Rego plate on it that they use to go back and forth across Scott Street between the school and where their buses get parked.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

yep, its a private gated estate, they can drive around inside., like SanctuaryCove.

its a retarded law - old fat bastards can hoon around on their mobility bikes, so why not. but the lawmakers tell us golf carts are too dangerous.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

No idea how practical a lot of tehse would be but ............... https://www.golfinghomes.com.au/listings/

There is a pacific dunes property on that list as an idea andt hat is near Nelson Bay area

Also, not knowing budget - there is the likes of teh Vintage as well in teh Hunter Valley - https://www.thevintagerealestate.com.au/

They may not be all within the confines of teh course but many are nearby and in some cases, nearby may be enough (say that as my local course, people who live in the surrounding streets just drive their carts straight to the course - a couple even have their own maintained gate)
    Last edited by gco0307; 15th May 2023 at 06:14 PM.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Newcastle golf club is doing a redevelopment including a retirement housing estate. Great track.

Magenta shores and kooindah waters both have houses on site too.

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Yeah Newy has a few over 50s close, plus the new development in a few years.

Only issue with your list is, Fern Bay has no pub and you won't be able to use your own cart at Newcastle..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Blog Entries

And the mossies are enormous!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 LST 9* Driver with CB55 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    TM Stealth 2 Hybrid with Nemeses 90 M4 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    And the mossies are enormous!
    They have been pretty good Pete, might stir them up when the new holes start out the back though..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Thread Information