Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Greens were pure today, course mint. How good is cool weather golf ♥️

35 points, one birdie, two wipes, 79 off the stick off 6.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - April 2023

16/04/2023, Wolston Park GC, Blue Tees (Scr 65 Sl 117 Par 67), Stableford.

Strokes Gained (SG) vs Scratch

Scoring: BBPPBBbPP PPPPPBBBB; 38:36:74 (+3:+4:+7); stab 16-17-33pts.
    Played to 8.7. Golflink 6.8 (+0.5).

I now have a daily handicap of 4 at my home course for the blue tees, which is taking some mental adjustment; I don't consider myself that good. My GIR over the last 50 rounds for the index 5 hole that I don't get a shot on is 6.7%.

Those four shots were gone through six holes, which included two partial wedge shanks (my nemesis) on the second hole. I then hit a bunch of greens or fringes over the next eight holes for one under, before limping through the last four holes with bogeys.

Very happy with that. I'm hitting more greens that what I was before, and I am hitting the ball longer than I ever have, particularly with the driver, and it is now starting to leak through to the irons.

Couple of rounds over the weekend, both blue markers this time;

33 points on Saturday after alternating between double bogey and birdie for the first four holes, unfortunately couldn't convert the other 7 chances, and my putting is going through a bit of an ordinary period, just not quite making a consistent stroke/trusting the line. I'm sure it'll turn around though. 8 fairways as well.

36 points yesterday. Fairly ordinary front 9 but 21 points on the back 9 including a wipe to finish well. 8 fairways and 8 greens, putting was a bit better but still not as good as I can do. Only one birdie and it was one of the more unlikely ones. Missed a golden opportunity on 5 when I twisted the putter at the last second 🤦🏻*♂️

Either way it was nice to have a couple of better rounds after some pretty ordinary stuff the last couple of weeks.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Consecutive wipeless rounds for the first time in living memory.
    That was fun while it lasted. Even after 4 then wiped 5 and 6.

Consecutive wipeless rounds for the first time in living memory.
    Who's this new forum member?
    That was fun while it lasted. Even after 4 then wiped 5 and 6.
    Oh, it was just you in disguise. Hello Michael!!!

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

**** me, so that's what a half decent swing feels like? How I've missed that...

Bogeys on two of the first three (a failed up and down and my compulsory 3-jiggle), I was close to giving the round up before hitting 4-wood on 4 to roughly 10 feet and binning the putt for eagle. From there I had some semblance of actual ball control for the first time in a long time.

Regulation pars through 7 before hitting it to 105cm on 8 (and still can't post in the NTP thread, grrr!!) for birdie, and on in two for a two-putt birdie on 9 to turn 2 red.

3 reg pars, followed by a binned 30-footer for bird on 13 to get to -3.

3 yards too many of draw on 14 and into the greenside trap, couldn't quite get up and down as an 8-footer slid across the front of the hole for bogey. A similar putt on 15 for birdie missed, again just sliding under the hole. Reg par, then a holed 4 footer for par on 17 which I'd normally miss meant it was to be my day. A nice 54° wedge to another 8 feet gave me the chance at the coveted 69 (tee hee), but alas it was not to be as another one slid under the hole. Tap in for 70, and a GIR stat line I haven't seen in a long time...

1 eagle
    3 birdies
    11 pars
    3 bogeys

And yet I still feel I should have done better. 5 putts missed inside 10 feet feels a bit of a missed opportunity, and the 3-stab still stings. But it's nice to know this old timer can still wind the clock back a little. Really looking forward to the 85 next round to regain equilibrium though.

Ah, hello old friend...

GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Who's this new forum member? Oh, it was just you in disguise. Hello Michael!!!

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    The truth is stranger than fiction. I knew that’d confuse people.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

A late check-in for Saturday just gone. 34 points - twas a tale of two nines. Also, playing behind a group of Patrick Cantlay wannabes didn't help.

14 points on the front and came home with 20 on the back. A couple of loose iron shots and struggles in the Lefty-zone putting wise, had me very much on the back foot. A free beverage courtesy of the day's sponsor helped me refocus and the putter came good. Finished off with a birdie on 18 to give the score a modicum of respectability.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I played golf on Saturday!

Only 28 points but I actually hit the ball pretty well most of the time and putted quite well. First comp round since Jan '22, so no expectations.

Booked in on Friday at Indro (in Brisbane with my daughter, long story) and hoping to squeeze a couple more games in with the BIL on the GC after that.

Trying to come to terms with everything in this thread - WBenno is conquering the game, 3PP can play 18 holes without a wipe, AndyP drove a ball 276m? At least Lefty is still a flusher who 3-jiggles for fun.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    I played golf on Saturday!

Only 28 points but I actually hit the ball pretty well most of the time and putted quite well. First comp round since Jan '22, so no expectations.

Booked in on Friday at Indro (in Brisbane with my daughter, long story) and hoping to squeeze a couple more games in with the BIL on the GC after that.

Trying to come to terms with everything in this thread - WBenno is conquering the game, 3PP can play 18 holes without a wipe, AndyP drove a ball 276m? At least Lefty is still a flusher who 3-jiggles for fun.
    Bloody hell, good to see you back out there Larry!!! Enjoy Indro, will be keen to hear your thoughts...
    GolfMap

Bloody hell, good to see you back out there Larry!!! Enjoy Indro, will be keen to hear your thoughts...
    Don’t worry about that nonsense, the real treat will come later in the day.

Don’t worry about that nonsense, the real treat will come later in the day.
    What colour will your hair be for that?
    GolfMap

What colour will your hair be for that?
    Somewhere between the last 2 champses

The wheels have well and truly fallen off.
    26, 28 and a trip to Yowani today, where I battled for 27.

Four more rounds to a flag, but the sprint out to anchor could be spectacular!

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Played twice this week.

Shotgun start on Sunday saw me go +8 through the first 8 holes for 8 points, then -1 over the next 10 (including the 4 I stroked on) for 25 points.

Solid round on Wednesday (3 birdies, 3 bogies, 12 pars) for 36 points.

Consistency is the challenge.

Blog Entries

Indro this morning. 28 points which is about as good as I can currently do on my handicap. Played the blue and red nines I think, the back nine was much harder than the front in terms of green complexity and speed which made things interesting. Really nice conditioned course with some interesting shots here and there and fast greens, I liked it. We spent the whole day stuck behind two couples in carts who were SLOW, which wasn't good because I was on a tight schedule to get out to Carbrook with 3PP. Shook hands on the 18th and the straight into the car, made it with 5 minutes to spare.

Played social off the whites at Carbrook, too late for comp. Had 31 points with 18 on the front 9, but got a bit tired and leaked a few on the back 9. 3PP hit a superb shank and we both birdied one of the par 5s. I quite like Carbrook too, in good nick, not at all pretentious, just a good value track with a bit of length even off the whites. So much water though, but most of it was easy to avoid. Really good bunkers too, and I know this because I found a few.

Teven Valley tomorrow with my BIL. I just looked it up and it says 9 holes but looks fancy. I get the impression you don't get to play it twice for the green fee which might suck a bit.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

Larry, can you post your thoughts on Teven, keen to play there at some stage. Owned by a bloke that used to be in the markets.

Really looking forward to the 85 next round to regain equilibrium though.
    Yup.
    GolfMap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - April 2023

22/04/2023, Wolston Park GC, Gold Tees (Scr 66 Sl 119 Par 67), WK Hynd Trophy 4BBB Stroke (Nett).

Strokes Gained (SG) vs Scratch

Scoring: PPXPBPPBb BPPPXPBPX; 38:40:78 nett 72 (+3:+8:+11). 4BBB Nett score: 31:34:65 (-1:-1:-2)
    Played to 10.4.

The course was set up hard for an honour board event with the tees back and the pins near green edges or tucked in difficult positions.

The bad for me yesterday was not making sure I got a couple of difficult chips onto the green to give myself a putt, and a disaster 18th hole quad with four bunker shots across two different greenside bunkers. It should have been an acceptable two putt bogey and a solid +8 card, but my usually decent bunker play temporarily abandoned me yesterday.

The good is that the longer driver and improved irons sees me hitting more greens. My average over a couple of months had dropped to about 5 GIR/round, but now it is up to 8 GIR/round.

Our 4BBB score was nothing special because my partner didn't play well after a good round last week; he never does play well in team events.

Pretty ordinary 89/78 on Saturday in a 4BBB stroke event, my partner didn't have a great round either but we seemed to alternate the bad holes most of the round and ended up 10th with a 65. Admittedly I didn't really focus much on holes once he'd made his score if I wasn't gonna beat it. I did manage to get a splinter in my thumb right between the nail and skin while mowing the lawn in the morning, which wasn't all that painful while swinging but always there in the back of my mind. Finally got the bloody thing out yesterday.
    Back tomorrow for a white Stableford comp. Hopefully have a better round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Larry, can you post your thoughts on Teven, keen to play there at some stage. Owned by a bloke that used to be in the markets.
    A very unique golfing destination, that's for sure. Like a mini Bonville in some ways. You're either going to love it or hate it. I quite enjoyed it once I got over the typical golf snob prejudices.

Here's a post-round pic from the clubhouse:

Lots of weird. It's lush, very well maintained, very pretty. Extremely short, even off the blacks, lots of shots around the beautiful little creek and plenty of places to lose balls if you're tired after 36 holes the day before and hitting it all over the place. Fairways were a little bit soft, greens were rock hard and quite fast. It's only 9 holes, and costs north of $50 for 9. I asked if we could play 18 and got a flat no, even though it was pretty much deserted all day on a Saturday - I'd estimate I saw a total of 15 golfers playing there in the 4 hours I spent at the property. Nowhere to fill up sand buckets that I could find.

No par 5s, only SHORT 4s and par 3s. It's all about putting, some of the greens are very hard with slopes everywhere. The 9th (par 3, 140m or so) green is probably the silliest green I've putted on, probably half of the green would be impossible to stop a ball on and many good shots would roll off and end up way down the hill. One guy putted from about 9m away and got 3/4 of the way, only to see it roll sideways, catch a ridge and finish up a metre behind him. I smashed a similar length putt way past the hole, off the back, and then watched it go up the hill, turn back around and roll back down to 40cm. After looking at it, it was probably the only way to get the ball anywhere near the pin. Fun though.

I'd go there for a laugh and to try a completely different take on golf. I would definitely do it again if it was a bit more reasonably priced and you could play 18 (still a bit mystified by that).
    Attached Images

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Had been a little off the boil recently.

Started yesterday's Rd double bogie, bogie for 2 x 1 pointers and I had the shits after a couple reasonable drives. After that, was steadyish and turned with 16 points.

Shot 37 off the stick for 22 points on the back 9, finishing with 38 points. Was miles off the pace in A grade and just scrapped in for a ball in the ball comp.

Into 7.4

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

34 points today at Oxley. Pretty decent front 9 of 36(+2) for 19 points, but got a bit erratic on the back 9. One pickup on 17. 9 fairways, 4 greens all on the front, 24 putts over the 17 completed holes. Short game was working well making quite a few up and downs. Also picked up a couple of NTPs and converted both for birdies.

36/42 for 20/14 34.

Great start shooting even for the front, then 4*3 putts on the back

Greens were a bit two paced, but I kept leaving myself 20m+ for birdie. Made it hard...

Fun day with mates though

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    A very unique golfing destination, that's for sure. Like a mini Bonville in some ways. You're either going to love it or hate it. I quite enjoyed it once I got over the typical golf snob prejudices.

I'd go there for a laugh and to try a completely different take on golf. I would definitely do it again if it was a bit more reasonably priced and you could play 18 (still a bit mystified by that).
    Thanks Larry, not sure what to make of it now but I kinda like to support people trying different things so will head over for a hit if I'm in the area.

Thread Information