Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: G’day

Default G’day

Hi all, I’m a member at Gardiners Run having recently resigned from Eastern.

Anyone know where I can have a zip replaced in my golf bag? In Melbourne, preferably Eastern Suburbs?

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by broso View Post
    Hi all, I’m a member at Gardiners Run having recently resigned from Eastern.

Anyone know where I can have a zip replaced in my golf bag? In Melbourne, preferably Eastern Suburbs?
    G'day Broso,

Sorry, can't help with the zip, but I'm curious as to why the change from Eastern to Gardiners Run. Seems a bit of a step down to me?
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Welcome to the site. Google is your friend. Actually your club pro will know where to send it. I've played GR a few times, never played Eastern. I am at Beaconhills.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    G'day Broso,

Sorry, can't help with the zip, but I'm curious as to why the change from Eastern to Gardiners Run. Seems a bit of a step down to me?
    Hey LeftyHoges, assume you’re a lefty as I am! Spent the last 2.5 years at Eastern after 4 at G Run. Eastern was hit hard by the wet winter of 2022 and the shortcomings and the vulnerability of the course were exposed. Nine of the 27 holes were closed for 4 months and drainage issues were highlighted. When I last played a month ago the course was in poor condition. Also the condition of the bunkers has been an ongoing issue for the members with no action forthcoming by the club.

Many members were pissed off and there has been a steady exodus and a significant non renewal of membership in the last 6 months.

Gardiners suffers during the winter also but beyond that the course is well maintained and is currently in excellent condition. I’m in my late 60s and a mid teens handicapper, G Run is much more playable for me these days, I have played 5 rounds since I rejoined and been in the money 4 out of 5, it’s a better golfing experience for me.
    As for the zip replacement I have found a place - Walkalong - Camberwell Rd Camberwell.
    Last edited by broso; 20th March 2023 at 07:36 PM.

Member Club Pro

Welcome Broso.

As someone who lived out that way previously and my Dad being a member at Yering, its been a shame that of all the courses they built in that area they don't seem to have got one right. The drainage at Eastern sounds like its been an issue since day one and the course doesn't seem to have been built with sustainability in mind.
    I've heard elsewhere that Eastern is losing members in droves as the 10 year deal is coming to an end, and a lot of people prefer to play the courses in the clay belt and not drive an extra 30 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    Welcome Broso.

As someone who lived out that way previously and my Dad being a member at Yering, its been a shame that of all the courses they built in that area they don't seem to have got one right. The drainage at Eastern sounds like its been an issue since day one and the course doesn't seem to have been built with sustainability in mind.
    I've heard elsewhere that Eastern is losing members in droves as the 10 year deal is coming to an end, and a lot of people prefer to play the courses in the clay belt and not drive an extra 30 mins.
    Yeah I believe that’s true, the original Doncaster members heavily discounted rate ends in June apparently, the expectation is that many will not rejoin at full odds.
    Just prior to leaving I checked the booking sheet for the following Saturday, this would normally be booked out, at least for the morning within minutes of opening- there were 170 available spots on the Friday evening.
    Members I know have gone to Heritage, Yering, Eastwood and Gardiners in significant numbers.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Welcome broso.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by broso View Post
    Yeah I believe that’s true, the original Doncaster members heavily discounted rate ends in June apparently, the expectation is that many will not rejoin at full odds.
    Just prior to leaving I checked the booking sheet for the following Saturday, this would normally be booked out, at least for the morning within minutes of opening- there were 170 available spots on the Friday evening.
    Members I know have gone to Heritage, Yering, Eastwood and Gardiners in significant numbers.
    Most claybelt clubs are full, Heidelberg now have a very large womens membership and barely any if any membership spots for men with a lot coming from Eastern and some of the other claybelt clubs due to the flooding.

Thread Information