Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.

View Poll Results: support rolling back the ball as proposed?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 63.04%
  • No

8 17.39%
  • No, but find a another way

3 6.52%
  • dunno

6 13.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Random checks on the ball being used, penalties harsh enough to discourage anyone trying.
    This rule already exists, and they already do this kind of thing, eg COR tests. thanks for agreeing though.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Some interesting views from Dean Snell.
    https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/d...ball-rollback/
    such as who is going to pay for costs of developing the rolled back ball, certainly there is next to no consumer market for it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Some interesting views from Dean Snell.
    https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/d...ball-rollback/
    such as who is going to pay for costs of developing the rolled back ball, certainly there is next to no consumer market for it.
    The OEMs all tell us choppers want to play the same equipment the pros play. How can there be no market?

And why does anyone have to pay other than those who make it? They don’t have to make one.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Some interesting views from Dean Snell.https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/d...ball-rollback/such as who is going to pay for costs of developing the rolled back ball, certainly there is next to no consumer market for it.
    The OEMs have been making proto balls forever, including a range of them specifically for testing by the USGA & R&A over the years. They’re already spending that same money on R&D. I get that it would add cost for a DTC manufacturer like Snell but no pro is going to play his balls anyway so it’s a non issue for him.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Wouldn't they just have to use their design, from say '89??

Hey, that rhymes! I'm a poet and didn't realise!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    They don’t have to make one.
    Now that would be funny if rule gets implemented and nobody makes the ball.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Blakey, Titleist make at least 7 different balls for their tour players which aren’t available to the general public. U reckon they can’t afford to make another one?
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Blakey, Titleist make at least 7 different balls for their tour players which aren’t available to the general public. U reckon they can’t afford to make another one?
    They’d be allocating budget for the alternative prototype designs already and would no doubt have a marketing strategy to protect the current product by differentiating it from the “tour ball”.

The flip side to that question would be who should be paying for the works to extend gold courses over the last 10-15 years? Certainly wasn’t the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Dean Snell said it, not me!

I think he knows a bit more about the industry than me, so I might take his word on it.

you make a good point, I suspect that the R&D for the elite players special golf balls eventually do end up in retail market, so not wasted money.

This is long overdue, IMO.

My only grievance is that they are not making it across the board... like, how can they not understand how far a large number of club golfers are hitting the ball nowadays?

I have been a member at my club for ~25 years, and in this time we have built ~16 new tee boxes to add length to the course. It's just not sustainable.

Why not just take away the dimples?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrymoo View Post
    This is long overdue, IMO.

My only grievance is that they are not making it across the board... like, how can they not understand how far a large number of club golfers are hitting the ball nowadays?

I have been a member at my club for ~25 years, and in this time we have built ~16 new tee boxes to add length to the course. It's just not sustainable.
    Your club should be able to bring in the local rule.

PGA Tour says no.

Member Trainee Pro

I listened to Mike Clayton on the McKellen podcast today. He was scathing in his assessment of the PGAs handling of the whole thing. Pandering to titleist and a handful of players. Disregarding the architecture and design of courses.
    His suggestion was interesting, if the pga don't want it fine... roll back the shit out ta the ball for all non pga majors and events. Like 20% kinda roll back.
    Now that's what I would like to see. Rory's 2 iron at renessaince was the shot of the year so far. Driver/wedge golf is so boring.
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

If one thing has been clear of late is that the PGA isn't the be all and end all of golf.

So if the roll back happens, they'll accept it in some way or another. Possibly some events before majors etc

The biggest factor would be cost. Cost to R&A to develop and produce the ball or cost to manufacturers to do the same and how that's passed on to consumers to cover it.

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    If one thing has been clear of late is that the PGA isn't the be all and end all of golf.

So if the roll back happens, they'll accept it in some way or another. Possibly some events before majors etc

The biggest factor would be cost. Cost to R&A to develop and produce the ball or cost to manufacturers to do the same and how that's passed on to consumers to cover it.

Don’t manufacturers produce a new ball every year? Whatever that costs doesn’t seem to send them broke.

Don’t manufacturers produce a new ball every year? Whatever that costs doesn’t seem to send them broke.
    But they sell a lot of them to the public. I'm not sure how many 'tour balls' that go 20% shorter they'll sell.

It’s a non issue. They already make the balls. They’ve made lots of proto balls for the governing bodies to test over time too, for this exact purpose. And all the manufacturers will be jizzing themselves over a chance to be the ones making the official Masters tournament ball.

I kind of love that the pampered f**ks on the PGAT have opted out. It further reinforces that only 4 tournaments a year matter and it’ll be amazing to watch the pros adapt to a new ball at those tournaments, or like Rory as said, play the model ball year round on tour in spite of big Jay’s self serving announcement.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Bump.

Looks like they’re announcing next week it’s being rolled back for everyone. Congratulations Titleist & Taylormade, your pontificating about everyone needing the play the same equipment really paid off!

Will be interesting how they implement this. There are so many "current" balls in the wild, it will be very hard to enforce any ball rollback in anything other than top-level pro/amateur competition for a while I'd think. That said, from what I've read, the proposed new ball won't actually perform that differently unless you're hitting 300+ bombs anyway. Interesting times.

This is devastating. I’m going to lose 4.5 metres with my driver. Looks like the long par 3s really are 2 shot holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Bump.

Looks like they’re announcing next week it’s being rolled back for everyone. Congratulations Titleist & Taylormade, your pontificating about everyone needing the play the same equipment really paid off!
    If this is true and it’s not a model local rule it’s a pretty big F you to the PGA Tour

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I stand by my vote.

dunno.
    Desert Golfer

If this is true and it’s not a model local rule it’s a pretty big F you to the PGA Tour
    They originally floated the bifurcation (such as baseball) and they crapped all over that (PGA did).

So then too bad so sad I guess. I'm happy to lose 2 metres to see some more shot making on my TV.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

FFS! All of my work in the gym and with speed sticks wasted!

Thread Information