Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Brookwater allows you to pick your tees - and in medal rounds A, B and C grade all play different tees (miclub/miscore). Same NTPs though, which is a bit of a pain given the nearly 100m difference on some holes. I guess the argument is A graders should be able to hit it closer from further away...

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Brookwater allows you to pick your tees - and in medal rounds A, B and C grade all play different tees (miclub/miscore). Same NTPs though, which is a bit of a pain given the nearly 100m difference on some holes. I guess the argument is A graders should be able to hit it closer from further away...
    Do you mean you pick your tees except for medals when the tees are set by grade?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    County, i beleive the unified world handicap system allows for different rated courses in the same comp, and is suggested because of obvious benefit like you described. but yeah, software needs allow for it too.
    You're probably right. The situation I described was before the unified system was implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    We have the software, biggest blue is now NTPs.

I started a medal day on the back nine, the hole was playing into the wind and 175m to the pin, hit it to 3ft, apparently stayed there all day until someone playing off the reds from 65m in front of me scooped the prize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I never thought about the ntp issue, but it is a very valid argument.
    If they can do seperate comps for different tees, the obvious solution is seperate NTPs for different tees. I can't see any reason why that couldn't be done... we've had seperate NTPs for each grade for many years.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    We have the software, biggest blue is now NTPs.

I started a medal day on the back nine, the hole was playing into the wind and 175m to the pin, hit it to 3ft, apparently stayed there all day until someone playing off the reds from 65m in front of me scooped the prize.
    When you say "someone", do you mean one of the Ladies?

Our club gives the option of blue and white, but not the reds.

This was due to a day off the reds where a few of the oldies got angry because a few balls ended up in greenside bunkers on par 4 when a few of the young bombers hit.

The club worried about injury/conflict and potentially slow fields if groups are waiting for greens to clear on par 4s.

Are clubs really giving people Tee options in comps? I have no issues at all with the red tees for ladies. And I'd have no issue with people choosing different tees in comps, but they'd have to be a seperate comp all 'round, including pins, drives etc.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Our club gives the option of blue and white, but not the reds.

This was due to a day off the reds where a few of the oldies got angry because a few balls ended up in greenside bunkers on par 4 when a few of the young bombers hit.

The club worried about injury/conflict and potentially slow fields if groups are waiting for greens to clear on par 4s.

Our NTPs are all in. The women have a significant advantage on the 3rd, where a blue pin is 200m away to a 6m wide green, and for them its about 140.

But other than that, most of our old blokes hit driver on all the 3s anyway so our NTPs are for the lower markers.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Our NTPs are all in. The women have a significant advantage on the 3rd, where a blue pin is 200m away to a 6m wide green, and for them its about 140.
    I'm really trying not to be sexist here, but for 97% of ladies a 140m shot is the same for them as a 200m shot for us. I wouldn't call it a significant advantage barring maybe the 3%, but then again 3% of the mens field is still probably hitting 4 iron compared to 97% hitting drivers and 3 woods anyway, sooo....
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Do you mean you pick your tees except for medals when the tees are set by grade?
    Yes. Pick your tees in normal comps, play the grade-specific tees in medal rounds. There's a seniors grade too for older guys who don't want to play the tips.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    I'm really trying not to be sexist here, but for 97% of ladies a 140m shot is the same for them as a 200m shot for us. I wouldn't call it a significant advantage barring maybe the 3%, but then again 3% of the mens field is still probably hitting 4 iron compared to 97% hitting drivers and 3 woods anyway, sooo....
    Our two or three best ladies off <10 are hitting mid irons. The majority of the ladies are still hitting driver or 3 wood, as from their angle they can roll it up the green fairly easily. Most of our old blokes hit driver and barely carry the 100m of water at the start of the hole.

Its index 2 for a reason.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    We can't and shouldn't assume that. Red tees are red tees now, they're not "the ladies tee".

Are clubs really giving people Tee options in comps? I have no issues at all with the red tees for ladies. And I'd have no issue with people choosing different tees in comps, but they'd have to be a seperate comp all 'round, including pins, drives etc.
    I believe they absolutely should, and that's what the SCR and Slope rating are designed to do. I'd play off a set of back tees every time I played if that was the option given to me, but that's what I deem as MY challenge. I'm not expecting Joe Bloggs off 15 to enjoy doing that, so he can move forward 400m for the day and knock himself out, but he can also have 4 less shots of handicap than I do, thank you very much.
    GolfMap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Are clubs really giving people Tee options in comps? I have no issues at all with the red tees for ladies. And I'd have no issue with people choosing different tees in comps, but they'd have to be a seperate comp all 'round,
    Why? The course rating takes care of it.

OZgolf Champs are always played as a mixed comp with the same NTPs and long drives

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Our two or three best ladies off <10 are hitting mid irons. The majority of the ladies are still hitting driver or 3 wood, as from their angle they can roll it up the green fairly easily. Most of our old blokes hit driver and barely carry the 100m of water at the start of the hole.

Its index 2 for a reason.
    Well that's a design issue then. Don't blame the golfer.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post

OZgolf Champs are always played as a mixed comp with the same NTPs and long drives
    Exactly. Shaz loves it when I don't take notice of where the Ladies tees are on that hole and they're 120m in front of the mens.

15 at RM West was a ****ing doozy, we were never catching her!!!
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

We can't and shouldn't assume that. Red tees are red tees now, they're not "the ladies tee".

I believe they absolutely should, and that's what the SCR and Slope rating are designed to do. I'd play off a set of back tees every time I played if that was the option given to me, but that's what I deem as MY challenge. I'm not expecting Joe Bloggs off 15 to enjoy doing that, so he can move forward 400m for the day and knock himself out, but he can also have 4 less shots of handicap than I do, thank you very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post

Don't get me wrong here, it's just most of this is all news to me! I hadn't come across different tees used in comps with the exception of Ladies only playing from red, which hasn't even been an afterthought for me. Pins, LD, etc couldn't care less. Shaz always loved it on the 17th at City because she tees off about 100mtrs up on that par 5. Certainly haven't seen any of this at City GC, in my seldom rounds over the last decade.
    I don't have an issue as such, but I just was wondering how they do manage things like ntp's etc, with men choosing different tees. But it would be a logistical pita, and I just wanna hit golf balls - that's it.
    I wonder how this would tie into the cheating thread, as surely there would be some who chose tees to give them an advantage rather than a test? Again, I don't care, just spitballing ideas. But I forgot about the index and tee ratings etc, so that should balance it out.
    My head hurts.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

The players series nailed this. They set up the ladies’ tees forward enough so they were hitting the same clubs into greens. Regardless of distance.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

In answer to the original question, the 67 wins the gross score.

GA have pushed hard for the removal of gender based tees, and progressive clubs have adopted this to provide all golfers on the day with a tee options of choice, with a commensurate handicap based on slope/rating/index. It's really not that difficult to get your mind around, peripheral matters like NTP's and long drives are of little relevance.

In all regular competition rounds at my club, you have the option of which tee to play from, your daily handicap is worked our for you, and off you go. In stroke rounds especially, the older boys play forward, and it speeds up the pace of play enormously (the Irish drop or whatever its called for lost and OOB balls also helps).

Thread Information