Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default How do you practice?

I am on a bit of a journey to learn how to coach golf, be something like a retirement hobby, and have a few ideas on how to do things better.
    Interested to know what methods some of you guys use to practice, and whether you think it helps.

Me, I know I do it wrong, warm up with pitches and just work through the bag from Wedge down, then smash drivers at the end and just wear myself out. If i do this on Friday, I play like shite on Saturday.
    I also always make sure i hit from the best lie - on grass i will find a high point or make one. On mats the same. And as i tend to hit balls like a machine gun i set the bucket down a bit further away and take out only 5 balls at a time. I generally just blaze away at a target, if i get bored i might try high low fade draw etc.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I am on a bit of a journey to learn how to coach golf, be something like a retirement hobby, and have a few ideas on how to do things better.
    Interested to know what methods some of you guys use to practice, and whether you think it helps.

Me, I know I do it wrong, warm up with pitches and just work through the bag from Wedge down, then smash drivers at the end and just wear myself out. If i do this on Friday, I play like shite on Saturday.
    I also always make sure i hit from the best lie - on grass i will find a high point or make one. On mats the same. And as i tend to hit balls like a machine gun i set the bucket down a bit further away and take out only 5 balls at a time. I generally just blaze away at a target, if i get bored i might try high low fade draw etc.
    I have always done the same as you.

Working on the swing with a guy I used to see at Indro through the Skillest app and he has me do a 3 to 1 ratio of rehearsal swings of the move and then I get to hit one. On a good day I can do this for 20min max and then just start belting them.

I can see that I have progressed through the lessons but I’m still chopping it up so who knows what works best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I probably do it wrong as well. When I do go to the range I'm usually working on something specific from a lesson.

When I warm up before a round I spend most of it working on chipping and putting, with chipping usually specific types of chips. Then 5-10 minutes of gradual building up swings in the nets to loosen up a bit before tee off.

Due to work hours I don't usually get much time to practise through the week, so I decided to start going to the course earlier when I'm playing to use that time to work on my short game. It may not the best way to go about it but it's the best I can do and it has certainly helped me improve it.

Senior Member Major Winner

I have 3 warm-up swings on the first tee and diagnose my swing faults from there.
    Titleist TSi2 9.75° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 5.5
    Titleist TS2 17.25° - Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff
    TaylorMade GAPR HI Hybrid 21° - KBS 80 Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    May as well be a rock on a stick, it doesn't matter....
    GolfMap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Are you asking specifically about range practice?
    Warmup first, but after that I would typically go back and forth between different clubs, and different targets, always going through my full pre-shot routine. It is easy to fool yourself into swinging it nicely when you keep hitting the same club to the same target on every shot.

I do 2 hours of on course practice every week then I play the back 9.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I have a professional visit me every 6 weeks for a session with the Orange Whip. Have gained better distance with my driver but can only sleep now at night if I spoon a pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    I have a professional visit me every 6 weeks for a session with the Orange Whip. Have gained better distance with my driver but can only sleep now at night if I spoon a pillow.
    GOLD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    I do 2 hours of on course practice every week then I play the back 9.
    excellent work.

i only practice with 54 degree up to 8 iron. The other clubs are the same swing so.. i just cant be arsed walking further to collect the balls. i also really sort of only do drills as i find them less taxing and tiring. My back is 8 levels of f*&ked so the less belting the better. I am also in better shape for the next day. A swim afterwards also seems to help.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

For example, if a tennis coach is teaching a student to improve their serve, whether that be a technique improvement or to just go faster, would any of these processes improve the student faster?
    - use a smaller racquet to force them to improve
    - just use their normal racquet
    - or use an oversize larger racquet to build confidence and then work their way down to their normal size racquet
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Didn't Bradman practice with a cricket stump, not an 8" floor board?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

In golf your fastest shot is the least accurate where in tennis it is the most accurate.

Thread Information