Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Golf handicap, when is it adjusted?

Hi all I'm sorry if this has been covered already but I've searched n searched and NADA....
    I've recently joined a golf club for the first time in July, never had a handicap, only played in two comps since then and am generally a rubbish golfer...
    I NOW have a handicap and as you'd expect I'm keen to get it down as quickly as I can. My question is...
    Is playing comp the only way to have your handicap adjusted? I've been told social rounds by the club (even if your playing parter has a GA memebership/handicap) you can't submit...its a shame as I really like playing just socially with a mate or by myself rather than playing in comps
    Appreciate any advice

Senior Member Major Winner

Social rounds for handicapping are a club by club decision.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Yeah, this. And generally not done other than as part of getting the initial handicap.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

I've found I play much better in Comp rounds.

I focus on shots and particularly putting

Doesnt this all change next year...
    9 hole events added and other similar nonsense.

When I first moved to Radalaide from the Riverland I played with what was then known as a Group 4 Club (club without a home course) only comp days were Sundays. They accepted social rounds for handicapping. We had one snoozer that could never score better than a mid 20 marker on Sunday’s but continually handed in midweek social cards that had him playing off 16-18.
    It was clear that he was obsessed with a vanity hcp to match the latest Mizuno Blades he was always gaming.
    Club never bothered to call him out on it as his comp results never affected anyone from winning anything. He never tried to cheat on comp days either.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    When I first moved to Radalaide from the Riverland I played with what was then known as a Group 4 Club (club without a home course) only comp days were Sundays. They accepted social rounds for handicapping. We had one snoozer that could never score better than a mid 20 marker on Sunday’s but continually handed in midweek social cards that had him playing off 16-18.
    It was clear that he was obsessed with a vanity hcp to match the latest Mizuno Blades he was always gaming.
    Club never bothered to call him out on it as his comp results never affected anyone from winning anything. He never tried to cheat on comp days either.
    How is 16-18 a "vanity handicap"

<He asks as un-snobbishy as he can>

Thought it was self explanatory that said snoozer like to have a hcp well below the level he played at when playing comp with other members.

W.I.T.B

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thought it was self explanatory that said snoozer like to have a hcp well below the level he played at when playing comp with other members.
    Virge's point is that 16-18 isn't a handicap worth bragging about.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

These players are ideal for clubs. Never win comps and just sit in their own little world of self competence. If he had an honest hcp he would probably give up the game so there is a benefit to the club.

Personally I don’t get it. The more shots I have the happier I am playing comp. Gets very depressing playing hard holes with no shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Exactly, if you have friends that you are bragging about an 18 handicap to .. you need better friends.

It's like playing tennis and saying "I usually get it over the net, and sometimes it lands in the court", and all your friends going... "Wooooow"

<again.. as un-snobbyish as i can>

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

On the flip side though I do find it amusing seeing 5 handicappers carrying on like their part of the PGA Tour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

When I first moved to Radalaide from the Riverland I played with what was then known as a Group 4 Club (club without a home course) only comp days were Sundays. They accepted social rounds for handicapping. We had one snoozer that could never score better than a mid 20 marker on Sunday’s but continually handed in midweek social cards that had him playing off 16-18. It was clear that he was obsessed with a vanity hcp to match the latest Mizuno Blades he was always gaming. Club never bothered to call him out on it as his comp results never affected anyone from winning anything. He never tried to cheat on comp days either.
    Why do i feel like i have read about this bloke before
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

So in theory, you could be a 30 handicap, never play a comp. Practice reallllly hard and play a lot through the year and get down to say a 10 level and go into a comp 12mths later as a 30 and enjoy the extra shots per hole as a 30 and maybe win the comp?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    So in theory, you could be a 30 handicap, never play a comp. Practice reallllly hard and play a lot through the year and get down to say a 10 level and go into a comp 12mths later as a 30 and enjoy the extra shots per hole as a 30 and maybe win the comp?
    Yes. Although you'd be unpopular, and it is possible for a club to adjust a handicap (happened to a guy at a previous club of mine, they got sick of him sand bagging for c grade champs so took some shots off him to force him into b grade where he belonged)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    To him it was obviously.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 12th December 2023 at 06:10 PM.

W.I.T.B

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Yes.There are a lot of variables though, and you might find yourself off 10 next round

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Don’t worry about a club comp, you could do this and win Vic Champs.

Thanks heaps everyone for your replies. Ive learnt a lot (and you're ALWAYS learning in this game)

Yep - we fight it at any handicap event .. all clubs do, there is always some muppet that trys it on.

On the other side.. our B grade runner up this year, Kid in Year 10, has dropped 9 shots in 7 months. 13 handicap to 4. which is damn impressive... but he has nothing else to do. bastard.

To him it was obviously.
    Yeah - i know, but i am only good at like 3 things. Let me have this one, I'm a nice enough guy.

Don’t worry about a club comp, you could do this and win Vic Champs.
    It's NKever beeNK woNK like that....
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    On the other side.. our B grade runner up this year, Kid in Year 10, has dropped 9 shots in 7 months. 13 handicap to 4. which is damn impressive... but he has nothing else to do. bastard.
    We all did that right. Happens to every schoolkid at some point.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

It's great that you've joined a golf club and are motivated to improve your handicap. Here are the key points in response to your questions:

• Playing in club competitions is the main way to get your handicap adjusted, yes. The reason is that competition golf is when your true ability is most likely to be on display. There's an element of attesting your score when you turn in a card as well.
    • That being said, you CAN submit social rounds to help adjust your handicap index as well, provided:
    • You play with at least one other person who can attest the hole-by-hole scores you post. They don't have to be a member at your club necessarily, but need to have an authorized GA/USGA handicap for score attestation.
    • You play by the rules of golf and course/slope rating systems just like you would in a competition round. The mismatch of rules or ratings could skew handicap calculations.
    • You post your adjusted gross score hole-by-hole in the scoring record system connected to your GA membership number.

Yes competition rounds are best, but properly scored social rounds can still help move your handicap index along. The key is making sure someone can verify the scores. Check with your club pro for their specific policies too. Good luck!

[COLOR=rgb(120 113 108/var(--tw-text-opacity))]

[/COLOR]

Found this today while browsing my GA page and found it interesting.
    Is this a new thing trying to stop those scores that blitz the field at the higher handicap end?

Last edited by Hatchman; 1st January 2024 at 07:38 PM.

W.I.T.B

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The 0.93 has been around for many years. Initially it had to be applied for the daily, but it is currently built in to the GA handicap.
    Last edited by AndyP; 1st January 2024 at 10:01 PM.

Thread Information