Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Changing shafts, and flexes?

So I'm thinking of changing the shaft and flex in my driver, and possibly irons.
    Driver is a 10.5* ping G10 with a Project X 6.0 shaft. I do think it's too much for me, has probably always been but never played enough to worry.
    I have my old G2 here with ProLaunch Blue Stiff, and thinking I might give it a hit to see if I like it. Still a stiff shaft, but I remember it being softer.

I'm also wondering about my irons. Ping i3+ with CS Lite stiff. I don't know if it's worth changing them, but as I don't use my 3i anymore I could get one shaft to try it out. But not sure what to try, if I do. Standard DG r300, or the 105 in r300. I don't know much about other brands of shafts, like kbs etc.

I'm also dealing with worsening arthritis in my hands, so that may be a factor to consider with a choice.

Anyone have some thoughts for me?

Senior Member Major Winner

Might be worth graphite...
    The recoil are great shafts... BUT

I maintain the project X 5.5 shaft has a massive working range of swing speeds. Get a set in LZ in 5.5 and i think you cant go wrong.

The LZ shaft is just one of my favourite - again for a massive range of swing types and speeds and the ball doesnt spin its tits off. or feel like wood.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You're taking constantly being outdriven by me pretty hard, aren't you, Goughy?

Not at all! I'd been wondering it for years, but when not playing, what's the point? But even you've gotta admit that driver shaft seemed stiff as.
    And with the way my hands are going, something a bit gentler couldn't hurt. I hit the ball well far enough for me, and longer than I did when I was on my lowest hc. But my accuracy and consistency was much higher then.

The only issue I have are the only reg shafts I remember using are two proforce gold 75r shafts that I still have, but just never got on with, and then after a fitting I had in Brisbane years ago I ended up with some reg driver shaft, and a reg steel shaft in my 3 wood and they were shit. Leon called them spaghetti and made me get rid of them.

That hybrid I bought also has a stock ping reg shaft and it feels great.

I'm happy being the Corey Pavin of ozg, and have said that before.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

For your irons I would either go to a store that has the Mizuno shaft optimizer or a Mizuno demo day. Get the recommendation for what shafts it thinks would best suit your swing (will usually recommend a few shafts in the same weight class). Hit a few irons with each of the shafts and see how they feel/perform. At least you will have an idea of what you should be looking at and all it costs you is a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    project X... LZ in 5.5...

...or feel like wood.
    Interesting you say that, it was by far my WORST feeling shaft I've ever hit. And I mean EVER. In both right and left handed. Absolutely ****ing hated it.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by dM. View Post
    For your irons I would either go to a store that has the Mizuno shaft optimizer or a Mizuno demo day. Get the recommendation for what shafts it thinks would best suit your swing (will usually recommend a few shafts in the same weight class). Hit a few irons with each of the shafts and see how they feel/perform. At least you will have an idea of what you should be looking at and all it costs you is a little time.
    Yeah, I was going to look and see if there are any demo days coming up locally. But it seems there are mostly "fitting days" happening around here, that require a booking.I'll probably also see if I can borrow the odd club from the proshop.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Interesting you say that, it was by far my WORST feeling shaft I've ever hit. And I mean EVER. In both right and left handed. Absolutely ****ing hated it.
    Same….sold mine.
    PX Flighted I liked.

And I really don't have a clue how feel affects it all? Though I guess I have had some wood shafts that just felt like crap to me, and hence performed so. The proforce gold 75r shafts I had (and still have here) just felt like they were flexing in the middle, or about 1/3 of the way up. The project X 6.0 in my G10 feels like I'm doing all the work. Had some swings with my old G2 with ProLaunch Blue 65s and it just kinda feels nice....... But I've never really tried it experienced different shafts, to see what also feels good and performs for me.
    With irons, I basically haven't hit a club that want one of mine since 2004, and they've all had ping cs Lite s shafts. My previous irons were tm300 forged with s300's, and before that Cobra Trd v groove irons with s200's. Strangely enough, my best ever golf was with those cobras, along with a Brosnan steel driver. But I wouldn't have a clue if a different iron shaft would feel or perform better for me.

As Andy said, he was out driving me all day Saturday, but the reality is I hit ball far enough. Plenty out drive me, but when I was playing my best (pre isg/ozg days), I hit the ball shorter than I do now, but was much much more consistent. But I would like to improve a bit, just for me.

I'll just have to keep my eyes open for some demo days so I can have a play around.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Definitely give the shaft optimizer a go, very underrated piece of kit

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Funny how perspectives differ. I’m with Virge. Best shaft I’ve ever used.

Didn’t like it in 6.0, but went to 6.5 and lengthened a 1/2” and it was perfect.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

If you want a cheap option to try in your irons now that you don't use your 3 iron anymore, you could soft step the shafts and end up with a Reg+ flex, you just won't be able to put them back without shaft extenders.
    But perhaps hit some demo's first.
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

That's not something I would have thought of! And I actually have a ping g2hl 2i with the same shaft.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goonie View Post
    If you want a cheap option to try in your irons now that you don't use your 3 iron anymore, you could soft step the shafts and end up with a Reg+ flex, you just won't be able to put them back without shaft extenders.
    But perhaps hit some demo's first.
    this is a cracking idea.

I use to play soft-stepped project X 6.5 before the LZ came out. again such a forgiving shaft and wide range of options IMO.

Thread Information