Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default 2023 VIC Champs *OFFICIAL* - 16th - 20th Feb

Probably deserves it's own thread after all the shite in the other.

Well kidlets, here we are, back again, instalment 9... It's happening!!!

A small number of details still to be sorted here, but essentially we're very much underway. As from the title proposed (and locked in) dates are Thursday Feb 16th - Monday 20th Feb.

Known details:

Thursday 16th Feb - 5 groups booked from 1:45pm at Cranbourne Golf Club. Cost is the bargain price of $60 per player. Some carts are available at $45 per cart, if you wish to be in one please let me know as you'll need to be in the first and / or second group out. Pull carts are available, and are complimentary. Entry into the club competition is free and mandatory.

Friday - Woodlands Golf Club. 5 groups booked from 10.36am. Cost of $200. Club competition entry available (and mandatory).

Saturday 18th Feb - 6 groups booked in from 11.33am - 12.36pm at the awesome St Andrews Beach. Cost will be $89 per head, $25 if you would like to ride around in a cart.

Sunday 19th Feb - 7 groups booked in from 8.16am - 8.40am (two tee start) at The Dunes. $85 a head, and the same $25 for a cart.

Monday 20th Feb - 5 groups booked from 8.00am at Sandy Links. $63 a head.

Accommodation will be at the Carrum Downs Motel. Everything else is completely booked or is off the charts ridiculously expensive. My apologies for this but we're living in a post-'rona world now lads and ladette. This is a little hike from the Saturday and Sunday courses (approx. 40 min) but works in well as middle ground for Thursday, Friday and Monday rounds. If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Prices start from around $45 a night depending on if you're happy to sleep with other men.

Anyway, ALL ABOARD!!!!

UBank
    082-991
    N Hoggan

Last edited by LeftyHoges; 8th February 2023 at 10:43 AM.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    I think Lucas summed it up perfectly. I wasn’t even going to bother responding. It’s not worth my time.
    Congrats Supermum!
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    That's only 6 more sleeps for Queen B
    That is absolute Gold.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Is it compulsory for previous Champions to attend?
    Could host a dinner?

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Can't wait for next year!

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Could host a dinner?
    Done, lock me in now…

Senior Member Major Winner

Sorry, have been busy clearing the shitstorm that has ensued at work in my absence, but I'm finally here..... Sorry, this is well overdue.

Whew.

Well, what can you say about that trip, main thing was it was so, SO good to be back!!! I hope you all had a fantastic trip and can I also just say thank you to everyone for making the effort to come and play the Thursday and stay for the Monday rounds. That was the highest percentage of players we've had in comparison to the size of the Friday / weekend field, was great to see.

Without further ado, my congratulations again go to our newly crowned Champion, shazza_rs. I think by now it's pretty safe to say you're OZgolf royalty and absolutely part of the furniture around here, and I've no idea your past history in the older OZgolf events (Wynnum Cups and whatnot) but I'm SO HAPPY we can add your name as Champion of one of the most prestigious OZgolf events. Was well and truly deserved, and it may just be that I'm your good luck charm, because the display of consistent & pure ball striking as well as solid putting I witnessed on both Friday and Sunday was spectacular. An absolute joy to watch. Well done again, and may the trophy open as many doors to you as it has for previous Champions. Congrats on retaining the "Ladies Champ" prize too, I don't know what you were worried about!
    Commiserations to AndyP on an extremely narrow miss being the first dual champion. Congratulations and well done on an excellent round on Saturday, and you handled what must have been a frustrating time of it on Sunday with the class of a Champion, well done mate.

Yet ANOTHER podium finish for Peter_rs, I think that officially completes the top 3 set. Well done mate. Was a pleasure to watch you smash it around on both Saturday and Sunday.

Congratulations to The Union on taking a comprehensive 6-3 lead in the Uncivil War, and basically finishing this thing off. Congratulations Captain Bushy on a thorough whomping of the Southerners, your soldiers certainly did you proud. Congratulations to JoeS on a hell of a fight personally, you did your army proud when you had zero support from your fellow soldiers. Probably time that computer starts spitting out *Confederates* as well as *Gungahlin*.

As mentioned on the day, it obviously needs to be run one more time to complete the set of 10, and I truly hope we can get some of the big names of the past to join us for one last Uncivil War hurrah before retiring the competition and setting up a different, just as exciting format. Maybe a LIV style teams event... I'll be one of the Rippers.

OK, onto my thank you's.

Courty - The man with the sheets. Does a stack more for these champs than anyone realises (myself included). We all know the sheets, we all love the sheets. Tracking GolfLinks, keeping me on the straight(ish) and narrow(ish), and ferrying around a bunch of pissheads and snoozer in the Carnivale. We all well and truly appreciate your sacrifice. Thank you for the pencil and paper write-up of the Sunday groups, I know that must have been tearing your soul out doing it that way.

shazza_rs - Another mention, this time for the hook-up with the Uncivil War shirts. Absolutely came through for us, and at $30 a shirt you cannot go wrong. I'll be wearing mine in 3 months time when I finally want to pick up a golf club again. Please pass on our massive thanks to Sheree, and extend the invitation to her (and any of the other girls if they're interested) for next year, as they're now part of the OZgolf family.

SundayHack - Well done on fleecing many, MANY spuds with a birdie comp that they'll never win. What's that saying about Ice to Eskimos? The addition of "buying a birdie" was an inspirational idea too, and one that I sadly have to admit I'd never thought I'd have to do, yet here we are. Some nice cash for the winners, and an additional $170 into the Tin due to your hard work here mate.
    Your organising of dinner venues for Friday and Saturday was greatly appreciated also, especially your work with the Belvedere Bowls Club. I've always thought it would be nice to have a gentle extra-curricular activity like that on a Champs but it's just never quite worked with timings etc (plus the fact I don't want to organise it, LOL) but that was an exceptional idea, and a belter of a time.

AndyP - Thanks for organising the Dainton Brewery for us on Sunday bud, while some of those drinks weren't exactly up some of our alleys, I think we can all confidently say a good time was had, and I've certainly found another Stout that I'd be happy to rip into any time, and the food was excellent IMO.

3PP - Special guest auctioneer. Certainly have another career path ahead of you if you ever wish to stop popping out of your hole to annoy people. Thank you so much for running the show on Friday night and finding ways to make people bet on amateur golf. We are such stupid. The extra length of "going Ginger" was also exquisite, kudos to you.

Slug and Kev - Thank you guys for rescuing the call of the Confeds to participate Friday. I'm sorry the heat policy of Woodlands f'ed us over with regards to the cart, I have a feeling the result of that first match would have gone a well and truly different way had the circumstances been different.

Bit of a personal one here, but thank you to Bushy, Courty and Ron Burgundy for your company in the worst kept Secret Pre-Champs rounds. King Island was certainly an eye-opener, and to have found my new no. 1 favourite course was a surprise I did not see coming. Cape Wickham was a bit meh, but at least it's ticked off the list now.

Everyone - You all deserve my biggest thanks. For attending, taking everything in great spirit, your generosity when it comes to Auctions / Calcuttas / Birdie Money / "Voluntary contributions", and most importantly the laughs that you all provide. I look back on every night there and think "that was one of the funniest things I've ever been involved with". I know that this weekend is not cheap, part of the consequence for having the best courses in the country I guess, so for everyone to do what they have done over the 5 days is an outstanding effort. I'm yet to tally the whole donated $ amount, but it's looking in the vicinity of over $2500+, which is just amazing. Thank you especially to Pingsta who didn't even flinch when it came to the NAGA stuff, and taking it in great stride. Someone with a sense of humour about these things is really appreciated.

Well done to anyone who improved on their prior Champs best finishes, I believe there were a significant number (no, not you Spud or 3PP!) who did so, so was nice to see some different names atop the leaderboard.

Debutants - Thank you and well done to these guys, we had a number of debutants this year, BobsYourOncle (it kind of stuck), Jonti, Davo, Pingsta and his mate Reid, and kind of FlowerGirl. It takes a fair amount of courage to throw money to some stranger on the internet with the prospect of playing golf with 20+ strangers you've never met before, so for taking the plunge we say thank you and we sincerely hope to see you back next year. I'm always keen to hear from the new guys if they have any feedback (positive, neutral, negative or otherwise) as they're the ones who see it with fresh eyes, not my 10+ year tired, CBF eyes, so feel free to reach out to me with anything be it in the thread or via PM / Telegram / SMS.

Regulars - You guys and lady know how I feel. We've had 5 players make all 9 instalments of the VIC Champs and 6 from this years field have now done 5 or more, so for continuing to support this event I thank you. Imagine if we could actually get some bloody Victorians to play!!!!

FlowerGirl - The silent hero. Went out of her way to go back on the Monday to the The Dunes and collect the charity tin I'd forgotten, banked the cash and transferred over to me. Thank you Reenie, you're an angel!

My Playing Partners - Thank you to all of you over the course of the 5 days. It was a privilege to play with you all. And was especially nice to finally get a round in with Dotty and Kev.
    Mrs Lefty - She cops an enormous load from me (phrasing!) in the lead-up to this, when I forget everything with 3 days to go. She did the prize envelopes and NTP pockets, and has obviously had a massive hand in the FABULOUS NAGA Belt and Vest(s) (and ordered the Socks), as well as a multitude of other little things. But don't worry everyone, I'm always showing her the groups appreciation!

To anyone else who has done things that I've forgotten, I can guarantee you that I appreciated them greatly at the time, and I apologise that I haven't thanked you publicly here.

Much, much, MUCH LOVE, (for you people, not golf)

Lefty.

P.S. As always, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated and taken on board, and hopefully used to make the 2024 VIC Champs "10th Anniversary Edition" the biggest success yet.

I'll keep you informed of what's to come in 2024 as things eventuate.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Love your work Lefty! Without every person behind the scenes this event doesn’t happen. Can’t wait for the 10th anniversary special.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Cracking summary Lefty. It’s impossible to thank you and your support crew enough for the work involved in putting these on so the rest of us have the luxury of just turning up and enjoying them. This is the best week of the year and I can’t wait until next years edition.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Cracking summary Lefty. It’s impossible to thank you and your support crew enough for the work involved in putting these on so the rest of us have the luxury of just turning up and enjoying them. This is the best week of the year and I can’t wait until next years edition.
    Samesies

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    This.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Massive thanks to all for making VIC Champs the best week of the year, bar none!

Everybody contributes to make it what it is, but the one standout has to be Lefty. He is the sole reason VIC Champs is even a thing in the first place. And for a guy with so much hate to bring so much joy to so many others, is a very confusing situation.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Courty - The man with the sheets. Does a stack more for these champs than anyone realises (myself included). We all know the sheets, we all love the sheets. Tracking GolfLinks, keeping me on the straight(ish) and narrow(ish), and ferrying around a bunch of pissheads and snoozer in the Carnivale. We all well and truly appreciate your sacrifice. Thank you for the pencil and paper write-up of the Sunday groups, I know that must have been tearing your soul out doing it that way.
    My ego took a real hit that afternoon.
    The sheet will be back bigger & better next year.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Thread Information