Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default WDYSTM - November 2022

I'm starting a new monthly thread even though my score yesterday, 34 points, doesn't quite qualify as a good round worthy of recording.

It was actually a good 34. Our greens were cored and sanded a second time on Monday, as our greenkeeper doesn't seem to know how to get them into a playable condition. So the greens were awful, and I couldn't get the speed right in order to get longish putts to tap in range. I hit the ball really well, but was 5 down with 5 to play.

Suddenly the putter started working, and I finished with 5 pars in a row. I'm on a roll!
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

All I can say about today, is I finally have no more rounds from 2008 in my top 20. Now to get rid of the ones from 2013!
    Oh, and good company.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Stripe show today, just couldn't chip it around the green so well
    76/71 monthly medal
    2 birdies
    29 putts
    2 x 3 putts
    Birdied the index 1 hole today for the first time

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Major Winner

Been stinking it up for about 18 months, so colour me shocked when I finished the front 9 on even par with 3 birdies.

Unsurprisingly, I'm a spud, and 2 silly shots lead to 2x triples, to finish +9.

Still a flag, sadly.

Night and day round today. Went out in 38(+4) and came back in 56 🤮 to end up 94/79. For whatever reason I completely lost my swing on the 11th until the end, apart from 2 or 3 decent drives.
    Hopefully be a bit more consistent across the whole round tomorrow.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

37 around the front for 22 points, 41 around the back for 18. 40 Points, back off the soft anchor, 2nd in the comp and back down to 7.3 where I was 8.8 less than a month ago

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Played to my hcp. Not great golf but I had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Played to my hcp. Not great golf but I had fun.
    Post reported for twattish behaviour.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - November 2022

05/11/2022, Wolston Park GC (Scr 66 Sl 113 Par 67), Gold Tees, Monthly Medal

Strokes Gained vs Scratch

Scoring: BPbPPPPPX BBBPXXBBX; 38:43:81 (+3:+11:+14) nett 74.
    Played to 14.0. Golflink 8.3 (+0.0).

I hadn't had a round or practice session for a few weeks, plus I was dusty from several beers the night before, so expectations weren't high. This was confirmed on the first hole by dribbling my drive along the ground 40m into the water hazard.

My game then decided to lift my expectations to lofty heights by somehow only bogeying that hole, then getting me back to even through eight holes with some great putting and a few good approaches. Then it came crashing down. A triple bogey with double attempted punch shot shank and a three putt to rub it in on the ninth started it, and I only managed a par on one more hole for the rest of the round, with a few doubles. The striking wasn't that bad (left misses seemed to be an on/off problem), but I was getting short sided on the misses, and had trouble keeping it on the green for a few short pitches to recover.

Club A grade matchplay final today.

In stark contrast to the semi, I was 3 up at the turn. He birdies 10, 11, 12, I birdie 11 and 13 to still be 2 up.

I dunk it in the piss on 14 , 180m par 3 into a howler. He birdies 15 and we are even.

I win 16 and 17 for a 2/1 win. 17 was a 9 iron 118m into a 30kmh wind to about 6 feet.

Go the old guys.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Boom, well done, enjoy the evening

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Nice win!!

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

I had a win today too in the Sunday comp with 38 points (81 gross). I had a lesson beforehand and made a couple of small changes but I think mentally I was better today. I completely ignored my score until after the round which helped stay focused on each shot. Nice way to finish off the week

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Club A grade matchplay final today.

In stark contrast to the semi, I was 3 up at the turn. He birdies 10, 11, 12, I birdie 11 and 13 to still be 2 up.

I dunk it in the piss on 14 , 180m par 3 into a howler. He birdies 15 and we are even.

I win 16 and 17 for a 2/1 win. 17 was a 9 iron 118m into a 30kmh wind to about 6 feet.

Go the old guys.
    Good on you, BITS!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Checking in for yesterday's Monthly Medal round at Cairns, my second since re-joining as a member.

85 net 74 (par 72). Played solidly tee to green but too many 3 putts and a 4 putt undid the good work. Started putting better over the last 4 holes but it was too little too late. Still counted as a flagged round.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Friday played the Clayton’s Challenge at RQ off the Black tees.

Going off the 10th I went around the front in +1 playing well in the wind that was howling off the river.

The second 9 was pretty good but I shot myself in the d*** coming into a couple of greens.

1- flew it 30m over the back into the wind from ~150m out
    5- pounded a drive down the right past the bunker only to leave the approach short sided in the front right pot, took 2 to get out
    6- again pounded a drive past the centre bunker to leave me <50m. First bounce with a lob wedge on the front edge only to roll out 15-20m over the back.
    9- Playing 530m in to the wind it took two big hits to leave me 120m out. I proceeded pulled the ears off it to be in the absolute worst spot to get up and down.

Saturday Monthly Medal - I am a complete idiot.

Double the first, bogey the second, birdie the third. Roll off three pars, then another bogey. Came to the 8th and almost made a 1, hitting the pin dead centre and coming to rest ~20cm from the hole. Birdie the par 5 9th, drove the green on 10, 2 putt birdie for 3 in a row. All pars thru 14 birdie 15 to go 1 under for the day. Here I am feeling like I’ve come back from a bit of a gut punch.

On 16 took a fairway off the tee, with water left and wind off the right I was aiming right edge of the green. Flushed it with the slightest hint of a draw and the wind did the rest. Ball sailed over the left bunker one bounce into the pi$$. Almost holed my 4th for a tap in bogey and back to even.

17th. Nothing to say except I am a complete moron. Stuffed the tee shot left of the creek into the hazard, was playable so chipped it over, CHUNK. Chipped it on and 3 putted for a crowd pleasing triple.

Par the last for a disappointing 3 over 75.

Played Pennant at Mareeba against Atherton on Sunday. Fella I played was a great bloke and could smoke the ball and we had a good match.

He was 2up thru 9 before I reeled off 4 birdies in a row to go 2 up. He then won 3 straight to go 1up with one to play. I won the 18th with a par.

Go to the 19th and he absolutely crushes this drive down around the corner on the par 5 5th. I hit mine up the left and are somewhat blocked out by trees. I play a driver off the deck to carve it out under the branches to about 90m out.

He goes for the green and clatters into the trees 10m in front of him. Hits his third short of the green, I hit it to 4-5ft. He can’t get up and down for par so hard come off and I win 1up.

Form is good. I’m just a bit of an idiot. Need a few uppercuts to get me back on track.

6- again pounded a drive past the centre bunker to leave me <50m. First bounce with a lob wedge on the front edge only to roll out 15-20m over the back.

@BUSHY, the 6th green complex at RQ needs blowing up. I played there in May, was 1 under with 4 to go, had 80m or so in and ended up 30m over the back nearly in the mangroves. Made easy bogey and parred home.

@BUSHY, the 6th green complex at RQ needs blowing up. I played there in May, was 1 under with 4 to go, had 80m or so in and ended up 30m over the back nearly in the mangroves. Made easy bogey and parred home.
    Mangroves??

I mean this one…

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Mangroves??
    It's like a small creek / hazard isn't it. Mangroves a bit over to the left near the 7 tee.

Anyway, that hole sucks.
    Last edited by backintheswing; 7th November 2022 at 08:54 PM.

Easy hole you choppers.

Play it short. Will bounce up. Every time. I've had more birdies on that hole than any other hole at RQ.

Unless you fat it a bit and end up 20m short like I did Friday.

Anyway, that hole sucks.
    It has 17 brothers.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Easy hole you choppers.

Play it short. Will bounce up. Every time. I've had more birdies on that hole than any other hole at RQ.

Unless you fat it a bit and end up 20m short like I did Friday.
    Linksy

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    It has 17 brothers.
    Never a truer word spoken

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

This post comes with a boast alert.

I had 41 points today. Best round in I'm not sure how long, maybe 3 years.

It was all putting. Our greens are still horrible, but I just had them worked out. 6 putts from longer than 10 feet, and 11 one-putt greens in total. Miracles do happen.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Thread Information