Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

84/75 doesn't sound great, but second in A Grade in the midweek medal and in the $ again.

The rough is diabolical.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Friday played the Clayton’s Challenge at RQ off the Black tees.

Going off the 10th I went around the front in +1 playing well in the wind that was howling off the river.

The second 9 was pretty good but I shot myself in the d*** coming into a couple of greens.

1- flew it 30m over the back into the wind from ~150m out
    5- pounded a drive down the right past the bunker only to leave the approach short sided in the front right pot, took 2 to get out
    6- again pounded a drive past the centre bunker to leave me <50m. First bounce with a lob wedge on the front edge only to roll out 15-20m over the back.
    9- Playing 530m in to the wind it took two big hits to leave me 120m out. I proceeded pulled the ears off it to be in the absolute worst spot to get up and down.

Saturday Monthly Medal - I am a complete idiot.

Double the first, bogey the second, birdie the third. Roll off three pars, then another bogey. Came to the 8th and almost made a 1, hitting the pin dead centre and coming to rest ~20cm from the hole. Birdie the par 5 9th, drove the green on 10, 2 putt birdie for 3 in a row. All pars thru 14 birdie 15 to go 1 under for the day. Here I am feeling like I’ve come back from a bit of a gut punch.

On 16 took a fairway off the tee, with water left and wind off the right I was aiming right edge of the green. Flushed it with the slightest hint of a draw and the wind did the rest. Ball sailed over the left bunker one bounce into the pi$$. Almost holed my 4th for a tap in bogey and back to even.

17th. Nothing to say except I am a complete moron. Stuffed the tee shot left of the creek into the hazard, was playable so chipped it over, CHUNK. Chipped it on and 3 putted for a crowd pleasing triple.

Par the last for a disappointing 3 over 75.

Played Pennant at Mareeba against Atherton on Sunday. Fella I played was a great bloke and could smoke the ball and we had a good match.

He was 2up thru 9 before I reeled off 4 birdies in a row to go 2 up. He then won 3 straight to go 1up with one to play. I won the 18th with a par.

Go to the 19th and he absolutely crushes this drive down around the corner on the par 5 5th. I hit mine up the left and are somewhat blocked out by trees. I play a driver off the deck to carve it out under the branches to about 90m out.

He goes for the green and clatters into the trees 10m in front of him. Hits his third short of the green, I hit it to 4-5ft. He can’t get up and down for par so hard come off and I win 1up.

Form is good. I’m just a bit of an idiot. Need a few uppercuts to get me back on track.
    Not bad golf. I have been working on the mental side of the game. Stopped thinking about the scores and concentrating on hitting the shot.
    4 birdies in a row is a great effort

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Comp round at Brookwater. Course is starting to look really good, greens are still a little soft after the renos by are rolling well.

BBPPPbXPb-bPPPBXPbP 74/36pts

Nearly a great round, killed by 2 blow ups - double from the bunker on 7, triple from the penalty area on 15.

Chip-in for birdie on 6, nice putt on 9. 50* to a foot on 10, and 'saved' birdie on 17 after running the eagle putt a good 5-6 feet past the hole.

Ordinary 27 points yesterday with 3 or 4 wipes. I was hitting the irons reasonable but the driver was horrible, constantly out of position off the tee. Probably should have just left it alone and used the 3 wood which I was hitting pretty well. Oh well, live and learn.

Today I was at Wynnum with the social club and it was a lot better. Ended up shooting 80 for a nett 64/41 points off their handicap, nett 68 if it was my proper one. Also won the match play final 4&3. I was hitting the driver a lot better today, 8 fairways but just two misses in position Z, both of which I was able to limit the damage to a bogey. 7 greens and 31 putts with a chip in birdie along the way. New pb off the stick for 9 holes (turned at 36) and 18. Nice way to end the weekend

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Hi BYU, what is the cost for a comp round there nowadays? It has been a couple of years since I have played it and need to get back there one day.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Comp round at Brookwater. Course is starting to look really good, greens are still a little soft after the renos by are rolling well.

BBPPPbXPb-bPPPBXPbP 74/36pts

Nearly a great round, killed by 2 blow ups - double from the bunker on 7, triple from the penalty area on 15.

Chip-in for birdie on 6, nice putt on 9. 50* to a foot on 10, and 'saved' birdie on 17 after running the eagle putt a good 5-6 feet past the hole.
    G/L

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Hi BYU, what is the cost for a comp round there nowadays? It has been a couple of years since I have played it and need to get back there one day.
    $80 for a member's guest for green fee and cart hire, then $10 for the comp I believe. I think it's $140 if you're not playing with a member.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - November 2022

12/11/2022, Wolston Park GC (Scr 65 Sl 107 Par 67), Blue Tees, Par vs SS.

Strokes Gained vs Scratch

Scoring: BPPPBBBPP PPPPPPBB; 39:34:73 (+4:+2:+6) par 1-.
    Played to 8.4. Golflink 8.2 (-0.1).

This week, rustiness or a hangover couldn't be used as an excuse for smothering my first drive along the ground again. I did increase distance from 40m to 60m and avoided the hazard this time though, so that's some serious strokes gained...

Driving in general was ordinary again and is starting to become a worry; I'll have to work on it after I've finished on pitching lessons and practice. The rest of the game was good. Plenty of tap in pars, but they just wouldn't drop for a birdie.

I'm not shooting low at the moment, but there is some good consistency to my game. My 5 round self-calculated all rounds played to average, 8.2, is at the lowest it has been for the two years of tracking, and the 10 round average (9.9) isn't far off a 2-year low either. I just want to get that handicap moving lower accordingly, as I've frustratingly only lost 0.1 this whole year so far. Let's blame the weather....
    Last edited by AndyP; 14th November 2022 at 11:16 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner

A ****ing lot left handed Saturday, then a ****ing lot more right handed Sunday.

**** golf.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Played Pennant on Sunday at Innisfail against HMB. If I’m being honest I was a little second hand after a few bottles of red at a BBQ at Solarmans new crib.

A few frothies after being 2dn thru 2 turned the tables in my favour.

Made a ton or birdies against a lone bogey to go 2up through 11 sitting at a few under the card. He got one back when i made a bogey somewhere around 13 or 14.

I then birdied our 16th and 17th holes to close it out at 3 and 1 which I made out to be 4 under the card.

Wednesday comp at Sandy Gallop. Greens were renovated ~2 weeks ago, so are still slow, bumpy and sandy. They'll be able to mow them shorter again soon and they'll be good - although looks like a temporary green is going back in on 6, which is still struggling to come back from the flooding earlier in the year.

PPPPbPPPP-PPPBPPPbP 69/38pts

Hit 13 greens, and had quite a few good looks at birdie, but only sunk 2 putts of any length - an 8 footer for par on 10 and a 20 footer for birdie on 17. The birdie on 5 was a 6 inch kick-in from 110m. Some nice solid golf.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Played at Long Reef yesterday, cracking day, greens were superb, couple of club breeze.

Started well including a 9 iron into the cup for an eagle on 8, then put in a diabolical short game effort post to limp home for 33.

Hard to think of a better clubhouse for a few beers afterwards. Probably should join,

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I had a rough 35 points today, just good enough to justify a post.

Rough in two ways. I never felt quite in control of my swing, so a disaster was always just around the corner. I had one total disaster and twice hit 8 iron for my third shot onto a green to save bogey. Also rough were our greens, which are still terrible, and two-paced terrible to make it worse. I holed a lot of 4 foot second putts, and missed a couple as well.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Gympie GC
    DQ I thought I was playing stableford, it was stroke did have two over for my didn’t matter back nine with a stupid missed putt from 2 foot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - November 2022

19/11/2022, Redcliffe GC (Scr 72 Sl 123 Par 71), Blue Tees, Stableford.

Strokes Gained vs Scratch

Scoring: BBPPBBBPB XPXPBBPBX; 41:47:88 (+6:+11:+17) stab 17:13:30pts.
    Played to 12.9. Golflink 8.2 (-0.0).

I'm starting to feel like a home course hero with this run of ordinary scores stacking up away from home, not that Redcliffe played easy with the wind getting pretty strong throughout the afternoon.

Putting was good, but everything else needs improving. I am currently working on partial wedge shots with the pro, but in the short term it has made me worse on any partial swing shots, and this cost me several shots (shanks or poor distance control); strokes gained for 25-100m was -4.5. I got short sided a lot with my misses too, which made it very difficult to get up and down.
    Last edited by AndyP; 20th November 2022 at 10:04 AM.

Bit of an ordinary 29 points yesterday. Drove it ok but the rest wasn't great.

36 points today which could have been better if the heat didn't drain me towards the end. Drove it pretty well again but the iron play, short game and putting was better.

I've been getting better distance with my driver lately (and the rest of the clubs really), warmer weather probably helps but I've been working on a small change from my last lesson that I'm getting more used to now. Last few rounds I've averaged about 240m drive distance, getting a few out to 270-280m. Certainly makes the next shot a bit easier.

Forgot to post Sunday's round. Game of two nines. I didn't think I played that badly on the back, but Brookwater punishes you more than SG does if you're a bit off.

PBbPPBPbb-XBBXbBBPX 78/31pts

Played off 0 for the first time this morning, and didn't start well. Ball tried to go for a swim on the first (stayed dry in the penalty area by about a metre), but still made double after hacking it out. Ball succeeded in going for a swim on the 2nd when my second shot clipped a tree. Played OK after that, birdie putts just didn't drop.

XBPBPPPPb-PPPPPPPPP 73/33pts

Monthly medal round at Brookwater off the black tees. Plays a bit longer than the usual gold tees (6500 vs 6100), and the greens were pretty slick - mowed to 10.5 stimp. Two lost balls leading to two 8's on the the first two par 5s, but otherwise played pretty well, with some good up-and-downs. Three putt on the last was a waste.

PBPbPPPXP-BPbXPPPPB 77/72

Three backwards chip outs from completely dead behind trees, a stupid wipe on 15, and 35 points, missing A Grade by 2 due to the aforementioned brain implosion.

Fun day though. Course is dry for the first time in 6 months and is playing brilliantly.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Yesterday was a 4BBB Stableford, only managed 38 points in that. Swing was a bit inconsistent which is pretty much the way on Saturdays at the moment.

Today I had a better day but still only managed 34 points. Was a bit disappointed with that after turning at 36(+2) and 19 points, just got a bit erratic with the approaches on the back. Driver was working pretty well all day other than a couple I lost right, I'm enjoying the extra distance I'm getting from it lately, had 6 iron into a couple of the par 5s which is unfamiliar to me 😂 unfortunately couldn't take full advantage but no damage done with pars on them. Avg distance 256m with a longest of 273, so I was hitting it pretty consistently today.
    9/14 fairways, 4 greens (all on the front) and 28 putts. GA dropped by 0.2.

Dropped a shot overnight.
    16/20-36, 81 off the stick.
    No flags for a few rounds now, the only way is down

Chopperlink

WITB

39 on Saturday, cored fairways and greens, driving is coming back thank goodness.

Must have played easy, 44 won A Grade.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Tore a muscle down my left side of the ribs and kidney on Tuesday, made swinging a club yesterday f...n painful. Could only swing the driver about 50%, but go a bit harder at the irons. Managed my way around the course, played pretty well and never put myself into trouble.
    34 points
    No wipes
    1 birdie
    Picked up a ball in the daily

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Had a new PB in the prestigious Sunday ball comp. Had 43 points / 2 over off the stick. It somehow didn't trigger the exceptional round so only lost 0.9 shots instead of 1.9.

Still not sure how it happened, I think was just managing to play golf and not think about it too much. The 4 iron punch game was also on point which helped .

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Tore a muscle down my left side of the ribs and kidney on Tuesday, made swinging a club yesterday f...n painful. Could only swing the driver about 50%, but go a bit harder at the irons. Managed my way around the course, played pretty well and never put myself into trouble.34 pointsNo wipes1 birdiePicked up a ball in the dailySent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Nice one given the injury. What's the old saying - 'beware of the injured golfer'.

Thread Information