Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Goughy...... swings posted.........

This is a scary prospect!!! I have some slowmo's with 54* and driver, in my backyard.... ������
    Last edited by goughy; 21st September 2022 at 09:51 AM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

No.

Unless you want opinions from a bunch of hacks who aren't qualified to give useful comments.

So, no different from any typical weekend comp game, then???
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

OK, here goes!!!!!

Driver front and behind, and 54* front and behind.

So for many years I have been fighting a really nasty pull hook. But I'd only been playing once or twice a year for the last 6 or 7 years. And not regularly since 2007/2008. A couple of months ago I played 9 holes with my daughters boyfriend and asked him if he'd ever had any lessons? He said the pro told him to think of your right hand balancing a dinner plate at the top of the backswing. I thought, hmmm, did some googling, and had a look at mine and found my right wrist was flat and my left has really hooked at the top. So for the last month I've been thinking "bow left wrist at the top".
    I've also had a chicken wing and don't really think much about it, just usually have my ball position a little further back to account for where my swing would bottom out. Though in these vids it doesn't look as bad as it was the other day, but my swing thoughts with these were different.
    With these swings, all I'm thinking of during the swing are to stop my backswing with the club pointing vertical up in the sky (it's just a thought to stop me over swinging). These swings all felt really short to me. the 2nd thought is to keep my left heel planted. And the 3rd is what I want to use as my swing trigger, which isn't to start my downswing, but to drive my hips left and start my turn. The arms just follow and I'm not trying to even think about them. After that I'm trying to not think of anything and just let it go. I probably wouldn't mind my follow through finishing slight more angled down, and it kinda feels like I'm manufacturering that last little wrap around my kneck.

Current HC is 15, and my one comp round since returning was 31 over par, but I also had 39 putts with only 2 GIR, so a lot of short game left out there. My lowest ever acheived was 10, around 2000, and tended to float around 11 to 13 when playing regularly.

There are plenty of what I'm thinking of when I'm setting up, but I'm trying to make them my routine rather than so obsessive thoughts.
    Tear me apart!
    Last edited by goughy; 21st September 2022 at 09:57 AM.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Major Winner

Classic tilting action
    Right arm too straight on the takeaway and thus left shoulder goes under.

Look up Nick Faldo's preset drill. rinse and repeat till the get the feeling of the shoulders turning on the hips. Not the hips moving the upper body.

The idea of the preset drill is to preset the right wrist and just rotate the upper body through impact. Your swing has none of this and therefore you add a shitload of loft through impact.

The right shoulder moves back towards your right heel - not upwards

Ta, thanks Virge! I'll have a gander.
    So yeah, I'd been working on turning my hips, but doing so also in the backswing. So that's a no no?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Do you need Virge to translate his post into what you should be doing with a dinner plate?

My dinner plates sit on a stable table......

Ok, so that swing is about a week old. I really had been armsy and as I've said elsewhere, a big chicken wing. I've been trying to work on getting my middle to be more involved, and get my back pointing to target on backswing, and trigger my downswing with the hip move and turn. It kinda then feels like my arms aren't swinging so much as just going for the ride. I hadn't actually hit a golf ball with those swing thoughts until yesterday. I'll give that faldo preset a go during the week, and work on the shoulders rather than hips turning.
    While my two scores have been pretty ordinary, I've been happy enough with how I was swinging. Short game has been a killer. First game back and I hit 2 greens but still had 39 putts. I had 8 holes where I was at par or worse by the time I was on the green, and most of that was chipping/pitching issues and distance control.
    Today was pretty similar. Once I start doing some short game practice and putting work, things'll improve.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Look up Nick Faldo's preset drill. rinse and repeat till the get the feeling of the shoulders turning on the hips. Not the hips moving the upper body.The idea of the preset drill is to preset the right wrist and just rotate the upper body through impact. Your swing has none of this and therefore you add a shitload of loft through impact.
    Ridiculously simple drill! Funny enough, I was glancing though my John Jacobs book, and the backswing stuff he describes seems to be pretty much that Flado drill, though the Faldo drill is simpler to follow.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    The right shoulder moves back towards your right heel - not upwards
    I would like to understand this more? This is just the initial move, like p1 to P2( or even less)right?,

right shoulder back and down a little? Because surely as we get deep into the backswing and we get the side bend towards the ball, the trail shoulder is higher than the lead... relative to the ground.

I believe Virge was pointing out that my shoulders were moving too much vertically, so my left was going way down and my right up high, rather than moving closer to a horizontal plane.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

to you both.. Sorry up in QLD Diving so not much reception.

For the golf swing to work - you need a stable base... your hips and legs. This is what you are hitting against - this is what you leverage the clubshaft against - it isnt the ground - it is that left leg.

So you dont really turn your hips.. you turn your upper body to a point where it cant turn anymore and then you LET YOUR SHOULDERS PULL YOUR HIPS around. This is how you generate power. Your coil your upper body against your lower body.

You all still with me ?

The preset drill does this perfectly because it fixes all your shitty takeaways where you use your legs and knees and wrists and god knows what else us idiots do to pick up the club - check out Sean Foley vids on YouTube for better descriptions and video to show it.

The Faldo drill is just perfect for this... and dont feel bad about the early cocking of the wrists to keep your shoulders level.

you can also use this for pitching to improve you distance control.

No need to apologise, I don't expect anyone to be waiting on my next post with baited breath!
    I'll look up Sean Foley.
    I've done a few pitches with this too, and they've been pretty solid. Granted, all with birdie balls. Hopefully can go to the range this weekend if my backs ok.
    Really appreciate the advice.
    So, triggering my downswing with the "hip bump" is ok? When I do that I feel like my seems aren't doing any of the work, that they're just there for the ride.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    So, triggering my downswing with the "hip bump" is ok? When I do that I feel like my seems aren't doing any of the work, that they're just there for the ride.
    Hell no.

You already have enough of that slide. If you set the club correctly you wont need to move back over the ball.. you will just be there.

The ARM DROP is what you have to focus on... just use your shoulders to rotate through the ball. it will feel a lot less violent and you will want to add more body motion to the swing to try and see how much further it will go.. but all that is just f*wit chopper logic.

Hands and arms go fast and ball goes far.. moving the body around just slows the hands and arms. Once you work this out... you will be amazed how little effort you need. Grab some wedges like a 52 or 54 to experiment with. Just swing it back so that your hands are no nigher than your right shoulder and bring it down with just your arms.

once you can do this without too much drama then you can just use ball flight to control your distance. Be much nicer on your back too...(as i can attest to 1,000,000,000%)

Oh, Ok. Cool.
    The bulged discs in my back will thank you!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Been having a gander at my grip too. I normally just grip it comfortably, but was clicking through some books of mine and reading again about the V thing, and I think my left hand is in a pretty good position, but my right hand is quite weak!

Over the years whenever I've tried to strengthen or weaken it, I've been moving both hands. But I think my right hand needs to move but my left stay where it is. I think my right would actually be in a good position if I was a lefty, which I kinda am......
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Anything you can do to get that left shoulder higher than the right.. and keep the shoulders level.
    grip will help.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    But I think my right hand needs to move but my left stay where it is.
    You want your right hand in the position that your body will naturally return it to square. not everyones body will move the same.

grab a long iron in your right hand, make it extremely strong (under), and make little one handed swings about than 1 metre back and forth, call it a putting stroke if you like, so that your arms flow naturally. Now i am pretty sure you will notice that the clubhead is very closed.
    next, make an extreme weak grip with the right hand, do it again, clubhead is open right? now keep adjusting back and forth until you find a happy place that the clubhead is returning square to where the ball is, without manipulating it. Thats roughly where you want your right hand to be. Some people are gonna be strong, others weak, some neutral.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information