Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Golf ball that just didn't work for you??

Ever found one that just wasn't the ball for you? For me it was/is the ProV1x. I still remember when Leon had me try them out, and just went nowhere. Short off the driver, and easily one to two clubs shorter with my irons.
    It could be the feel, the performance, the sound? What just hasn't worked for you?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

I wasn't a fan of the ProV1x either, they felt too firm for me. I love the current ProV1 though. These days anything with "soft" in the name I don't like. They don't spin anywhere near enough around the greens to get decent short game control. Chrome soft would be an exception but I have no plans to test them.

Actually, they were one I was thinking of trying.
    Best golf I ever played was when I was using the original Nike Spin and Srixon Soft Feel (or was it some spin variety....), we'll before my ozg and even isg days!
    I've been using the Srixon QStar Tours, but seemed to really hit them short with every club. Last drive of the day on Sunday I grabbed an old Bridgestone e6 (would be 7 years old) and drove it 225; nearly my only drive over 200 all day. Unfortunately I got a fat pulled approach into the water so didn't get to test out off my irons.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thats why the lady precept is the best selling ball of all time.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I have a dozen or so E6 balls from NTPs in my social club that I'll never use.

I wouldn't be surprised if my club is still giving it Optima's. I don't know if they still do, but they allowed us to change them, though it might have been 2 for 1 depending on the ball you wanted.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

My proper club gives you whatever you want, but if you win a dozen and go the premo balls you get 6. The social club just gives cheap balls and nothing else, hence the collection 😂

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

i play bridgestone Bxs have for a while , always played B/S balls , there is nothing i dont love or hate about them there are NO surprises, ever , they do exactly what i want a ball to do.

my second fave is the srixon z-star....................

so, a cpl of weeks back back at a co. day i was given a cpl of the " callaway chrome soft " with sponsor label on them , i hit them str8 off first with the driver and i cud IMMEDIATLY feel a big differnece, felt gushier, spongier, more compression, ball seemd to sit on the driver face for an eon then catapult off,,,,,,,, ??????..

ok that was interesting, i hit the fw to pw distance at 110m hit it clean the ball flew the flag and off the back, ha... dang wrong club shudda hit he AW , but ok , that was nice, different but nice.. i didnt play them again till the 9th on the par3 , tee to pin is 145m on the nose , we had a nearest the pin 3 ball compey , hit one B/S and 2 of the chromes , same 8 iron. no wind just man v ball............

i hit the B/S first , pretty much nailed it nicely , small draw and it went spot on to my as ususal distance to +/- a few cms of 135m ( for a look at birddog which of course ,i pulled then 3 putted to loose ! ), then the chromes , the first one , flew the friggen green again , i mean PROPER airmailed it , stright over the flagstick with adraw i hit the exact same shot as the B/S , got it pure and it didnt even look like hitting putting surface, we all went

what- da- farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrq!?!?!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!??!!

so, i hit the second one , flew the pin again and hit the back of the green and fell off. i hearly threw my 8i in the ravine for fear it was haunted . All 3 of us had jaws dropped, i play with these guys every week, we know each others game, THIS WAS RIGGED!

i picked both of the chroms up and put them in a air proof box locke sealed safety box with chainsand red tape to send to the local PED DRUG tessting lab to get the juice outta them and inserted into my damn brdigeys.

i have noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo possible idea how or why these 2 balls, well 3 balls when i count the first PW on 1 , did what they did in comparison to the B/S but it was utterly rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!

thing is, i hated them....... i felt like they had ZERO control, zero flight control zero workability and zero precision, also hated the feel off the putter face the ball exploded of it , i cudnt wait to see what the druggie squad was going to say about them , quite simply not for me, HOWEVER................., when i checked my bag for them on monday to send them in to the drug squad they were gone.... simply vanished into thin air...... huh.... weird , THEN a few days later i noticed a familair logo like they had " mysteriosuly" re-materialised at the first tee box on my mates tee !!!!!!!!

apparently, he didnt mind them 1 bit popping off the putter face!
    srixon zr-30 9.5* - diamana X 70s
    kasco fd 12.8 *- diamana stinger 70s
    royal collection 304p 15* - diamana X 70s
    royal collection sfd 3 19* - crazy black ut xs
    yamaha 2009 forged 5/pw - NS prototype 2g18s
    yonex shinagawa 50/56*- ns super peening orange
    fourteen mt-28 60* - ns 950s
    odyssey 2 -ball exo

badly missing, links.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Titleist Tour Speed.

Member Teaching Pro

Taylor made TP 5 pix. Bloody awful piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie1 View Post
    Taylor made TP 5 pix. Bloody awful piece of shit.
    This is my choice.

TP5x is fine. The TP5 never works for me.

I like how the TP5 feels but it's a bit too spinny for me on longer shots. The TP5x is better but feels a bit too firm. Tried ProV1 out of curiosity and it's the best of both worlds, for me anyway.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The US sized 1.68 ball, played my best golf with the 1.62 B51

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I have always played the cheapest 'premium' ball I could, normally via Golf Clearance Outlet grabbing a model 2-3 years old.

ProV1, ProV, Bridgestone RXS, Taylormade TP5, Srixon Z-Star. I have not been able to pick the difference between them really, other than some feel clickier off the putter.

I won a dozen Q stars and Last round I played a one. Spun less than the above on pitches and mid wedges but I shot my best score in 6 months.

Pretty sure I am a ball numpty!

I like what the Snell guy says... can watch this on youtube.

Grab half a dozen different balls that you can afford, then go out on a green somewhere, and keep chipping until you find one that you like best. Then buy enough to last you a year or so, and dont use anything else.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    I have always played the cheapest 'premium' ball I could, normally via Golf Clearance Outlet grabbing a model 2-3 years old.

ProV1, ProV, Bridgestone RXS, Taylormade TP5, Srixon Z-Star. I have not been able to pick the difference between them really, other than some feel clickier off the putter.

I won a dozen Q stars and Last round I played a one. Spun less than the above on pitches and mid wedges but I shot my best score in 6 months.

Pretty sure I am a ball numpty!
    Ooh I understand this. According to golflink my best round since April was on Saturday with a Callaway Supersoft. No more z stars and chrome softs for me. Until next time.

Optima. This ball has a problem with me, and we don't get on. I reckon I could use any ball that was put in front of me, just about working the spin and how the ball reacts

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

After growing up using HotDots & B51XD's, I'm pretty happy using most of the modern balls to be honest.
    Desert Golfer

I used to favour the DDH-500 or Top Flite Plus. A a kid, I still remember the escastcy of finding an almost brand new Titleist Tour balata in the OOB to the right of the 7th fairway ...

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    After growing up using HotDots & B51XD's, I'm pretty happy using most of the modern balls to be honest.
    What ......... no Dunlop 65 or TopFlite XL's?
    Rockets were the povo ball of choice back then too.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    What ......... no Dunlop 65 or TopFlite XL's?Rockets were the povo ball of choice back then too.
    Top Flite XL X-Outs were my thing.
    Desert Golfer

I started in 1980.... first used the B51Xd, from memory was one first mainstream large balls and was pretty good. Then soon after the Top Flite XL, almost everyone was using it, despite many breaking them. First solid ball to catch on. The Dunlop DDH came along 82/83 even i cracked one of those.

Titleist Balatas were around then, but too expensive for a schoolkid.

I think the Dunlop 65 was only a small ball - someones showing their age, they were out of play by 1981.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

I think the Dunlop 65 was only a small ball - someones showing their age, they were out of play by 1981.
    NEW ones were out of play perhaps. I would use whatever I found mostly and there were still a lot of used Dunlop 65s in the trees in the early/mid 80s. I've still probably got some in the old shag bag.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I started in 1980.... first used the B51Xd, from memory was one first mainstream large balls and was pretty good. Then soon after the Top Flite XL, almost everyone was using it, despite many breaking them. First solid ball to catch on. The Dunlop DDH came along 82/83 even i cracked one of those.

Titleist Balatas were around then, but too expensive for a schoolkid.

The Pinnacle had pretty much taken over by 1985, all the choppers used them. The Titleist DT wound was the ball of choice if you couldn't afford the balatas, then the Tour Edition came out in 86 and it was a complete spinfest until the 1990's arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Top Flite XL X-Outs were my thing.
    Top Flite Aero was my ball of choice for my initial years of playing golf.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Thread Information