Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Best colour golf ball to see???

So one of my big issues is finding my ball on the course, particularly off the fairway (my normal drive result). Probably has something to do with my incredibly sorry attention span, and lack of observance! I'm seeing that there's a lot more options on ball colours these days, and is there one that's easier to keep track of and see on the course than standard white?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

IMO Vision Golf ball high vis yellow is the best hands down, especially in Toowoomba where the golf course is a much darker green and a lot of shade. These balls also glow in the dark.

Most other coloured golf balls are dull and only surface painted, i dont reckon they are any brighter than a white ball. Some of the colours out there are shocking, like red and blue. cant see them for crap - bright pink seems ok at first but if playing somewhere dry like Gatton, cant see it amongst brown leaves. Gave a box to mum and she lost them all real quick.

But it depends on what goggles you wear too - I have an amber/brown lens which is the best for golf and that does dull the yellow ball, from a distance it looks white, often leading me to ask "anyone see my ball" to the astonishment of the fellow golfers, given its the bright yellow one in middle of the fairway. Looked white to me.

If you are wearing a green lens, then yellow/green ball is fine. If you are wearing grey lens, thats perfect for most colours, but you would be a goose because grey lens flattens contours and diminishes contrast, so no coloured ball is going to help much with your golf.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Vision, as in the vision ones that popped up years ago, and some of us tried? Didn't know they were still around?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    IMO Vision Golf ball high vis yellow is the best hands down, especially in Toowoomba where the golf course is a much darker green and a lot of shade. These balls also glow in the dark..
    To be fair, you've always had a strong bias towards the yellow over the white Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    To be fair, you've always had a strong bias towards the yellow over the white Mark.
    Yuck... yellow is too north (red) for me
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I like yellow balls, although usually play white. Bright matte balls can be quite good too - stay away from greens/blues/etc, but yellow/pink/orange works. The yellow and orange or red q-star tours can be very easy to track in the air.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    I like yellow balls, although usually play white. Bright matte balls can be quite good too - stay away from greens/blues/etc, but yellow/pink/orange works. The yellow and orange or red q-star tours can be very easy to track in the air.
    Agree with comment about blue, I bought some of the Qstar Tour in yellow and blue (as support for a mate from Ukraine) which turned out to be hard to find even on the fairway if the blue side is up.

Senior Member Major Winner

Weirdly I reckon bright green are very easy to see

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Yellow are good. Red or orange I am useless with thanks to being colourblind.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Also a good colour for ball finding labs.

Want some free golf balls? Maybe you should consider getting a dog. If it’s anything like Gabby the yellow lab, you’ll never pay for a sleeve again.

Gabby is the loyal pet to 82-year-old Arnie Smith, according to a piece in the Standard-Examiner. The pair take frequent walks at Mt. Ogden Golf Course in Ogden, Utah, during which the seven-year-old dog lunges into the woods and digs out long-lost balls from wayward shots.

Gabby gets a treat from her owner for each ball she uncovers, and typically she will find 30-40 balls per walk. Over the years, Gabby has found “a couple thousand” balls in all.

White or yellow I find the easiest to see, with the yellow probably standing out a bit more. I just prefer playing a white ball personally.

Red are absolutely horrid, as are blue, green and those srixon ones that look like the old half taped tennis balls.

Senior Member Major Winner

Yellow is a shit load easier to find in the rough...
    which is where i seem to be a lot these days...

but every bird wants to steal it.

Only in NSW. Qld crows only interestee in undoing golf bag zippers to get the sandwich out.

But... i playee MQ link earlier this year. Crow nicked my yellow ball on 3rd and white ball on 14th. As there were 3 balls on the green close together but only interested in mine, i am guessing the cunning basterd knew I switched colours to fool him.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Another vote for Vision UV yellow balls. The old blokes in my early birds group always joked about being able to see my ball from 2 fairways away, but that was often a requirement!
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I am struggling with my eye site, thinking of switching to yellow. I couldn't see my ball landing today, I just got a line and started walking

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Joe..suggest you see an optometrist. IMO a differnt colour ball aint gonna help you see it land.

If you dont wear corrective lenses already and confirm you dont need them, them wearing tinted glasses can make the world of difference. Hint: brown/amber will improve clarity.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Joe..suggest you see an optometrist. IMO a differnt colour ball aint gonna help you see it land.

If you dont wear corrective lenses already and confirm you dont need them, them wearing tinted glasses can make the world of difference. Hint: brown/amber will improve clarity.
    Already wearing reading glasses, not yet into full time optics. Will give the tinted lenses a go, cheers.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

It’s not your reading vision that’s suspect Joe. Sounds like a bit of short-sightedness might have crept up on you.

Thread Information