Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Default WDYSTM - September 2022

93/77 in the wet. 2 poor holes including a shank into a penalty area hurt. Will be interesting to see how many play all 4 rounds, quite a lot of pull-outs.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

A single birdie in the medal, around the white course - so actually +3.

They ended up calling it off about half an hour after my post but still had a black markers Stableford on, so I went out anyway. Ended up with 37 points from 87 gross. 19 on the front 9 then had an absolute mare with 2 points from 10-12 before finishing off well. Short game was off today, kept leaving them short thinking it wouldn't check as much in the damp conditions but it did, and I didn't putt all that well either. 9/14 fairways, 4 greens, 33 putts. Greens were softer so approaches stopped nicely.
    Back again tomorrow off the whites this time.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

After 5 holes, I was 10 over with two triples, a FRAT, and 2 doubles. I was looking for a lake to end the pain.

Anyway, slightly better back half, 88/78 and won a ball on a tough day for scoring

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

89 net 79 at Half Moon Bay in the September monthly medal. Just couldn't get anything going and when I stuffed up it was usually in a big way. My short game needs some work.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Very frustrating day for me today. 1st round of champs in the wet, started with a lip out birdie and that sort of set the tone. Drove the ball the best I ever had but couldn’t make a putt or have any luck. Runs of par followed by a double or triple. Think I also found every bunker that was in play. 8 shots of the lead already 😟. Also missed out on ball rundown on count back

83 gross for nett 72

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Solid day today for Monthly Medal.
    19 points on the front and 17 on the back. Missed 2 putts today inside 600mm. I was hitting it ok, but just couldn't hole that big putt.

76/71
    2 birdies
    Won on a 3 way count back.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

29 points around Alice Springs this morning.

Took 9 holes to warm up (8 points on the front) then had a solid back 9 (21 points)
    Desert Golfer

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Don't worry everyone, I'll start the September thread and move the posts across. Not all heroes wear capes.

03/09/2022, Wolston Park GC (Scr 66 Sl 113 Par 67), Gold Tees, Club Champs Rd 1.

Strokes Gained vs Scratch

Scoring: PPXBPPXPP PBPPPPPBP; 40:34:74 nett 67 (+5:+2:+7).
    Played to 8.0. Golflink 8.5 (-0.3).
    Current Champs Placings: Gross 8th, Div 1 Nett 4th.

After a postponement earlier in the year, the champs are finally here, albeit still very wet. My plan was to have put plenty of practice in during the lead up, but the serratus anterior injury has curtailed that. I teed off near midday so avoided the water from the sky, and only had to deal with the water on the ground.

After pulling back on the driver a bit, I am keeping it within play a lot more setting me up nicely for approaches. However, I'm still not getting the job done with the approaches though, despite that part of my game getting the most attention this year; yesterday felt like a thin or slice day. Fortunately, the short game was up for the challenge and saved me several times, giving me quite a few tap-ins.

A couple of doubles on the front were sloppy, including a missed tap-in, but the tough back nine was super solid, especially considering there were no birds. I can't complain too much with that score and my current placings in the champs. I can't expect the short game to save me next week, so I'm hoping I can get these irons sorted out, even though I probably won't risk practicing.
    Last edited by AndyP; 11th September 2022 at 11:00 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

We’d be lost without you Andy

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    We’d be lost without you Andy
    Thank you for that acknowledgement.

Pretty ordinary 30 points yesterday off the whites. The wind was strong and swirling around a bit and made judging distance a bit difficult. Only hit one green, although the majority of misses were on target but fell short, one went too long, so at least I was hitting the irons pretty well in terms of striking and line. Driving was ok hitting 6 fairways, I hit a couple of horrible hooks on 15 and 16 that led to wipes, but sorted out whatever that issue was on 17 and 18. My putting has been off a bit lately, pace is ok but I'm not quite getting the line right and burning lots of edges. Always next week I suppose.

04/09/2022, Brisbane Golf Club (Scr 72 Sl 130 Par 72), Blue Tees, Yeerongpilly Cup.

Strokes Gained vs Scratch

Scoring (from 1st, but started on 13th): XBPBXbBBB XBPBBPBPB ; 45:43:88 nett 79 (+9:+7:+16).
    Played to 13.9. Golflink 8.5 (-0.0).
    Placing: 58th from 75.

A disappointing score in a big event yesterday. I had another really good day with the driver, but the gusty winds had their way with my suspect approach game; I estimate that the wind cost me about 4 strokes. On top of that, I holed only one putt over one metre, which is ridiculous and it was demoralising by the end. It wasn't a bad stroke, but I just could not read the breaks or lack of them.

Sink just a few of those, and the score looks much more respectable.

The +6 marker having 4 over makes me feel a bit better about my score. Also, a player in my group off 4, had a 75 nett 71, with score bingo from eagle through to double bogey. He hit a skanky approach on a par 5 for the eagle, holed at least two, maybe three 15m+putts including from off the green, and had at least two double bogeys. What a roller coaster!
    Last edited by AndyP; 5th September 2022 at 06:01 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I forgot about the Yeerongpilly Cup! Must've been wet though, and I ended up playing in our club champs (which was subsequently called off).

edit: was it the 3rd (Saturday) or the 4th (yesterday)?

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    I forgot about the Yeerongpilly Cup! Must've been wet though, and I ended up playing in our club champs (which was subsequently called off).

edit: was it the 3rd (Saturday) or the 4th (yesterday)?
    It was yesterday (post fixed) and I noticed that your name wasn't in the draw, and assumed that you must have been in Adelaide still. The course was in really good condition, although the greens were slower than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    It was yesterday (post fixed) and I noticed that your name wasn't in the draw, and assumed that you must have been in Adelaide still. The course was in really good condition, although the greens were slower than expected.
    Nope, just forgot. I ended up playing a quick round at Brisbane River GC - haven't played there before, and have pennants there next Sunday. I had low expectations, but was actually fairly impressed. It's a hard, hilly walk though. Made a rare par 4 eagle, which was nice - drove the green on 17 and sunk the putt.

Nope, just forgot. I ended up playing a quick round at Brisbane River GC - haven't played there before, and have pennants there next Sunday. I had low expectations, but was actually fairly impressed. It's a hard, hilly walk though. Made a rare par 4 eagle, which was nice - drove the green on 17 and sunk the putt.
    Last time that I was there I was disappointed. Were 10 and 18 back to being normal holes or temp?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Last time that I was there I was disappointed. Were 10 and 18 back to being normal holes or temp?
    10 was a normal hole - a (very) short par 4 with a green on the side of a hill, with everthing funnelling towards water. 18 was a longer par 4 (played into the wind), strong dog-leg right.

There was a temporary green on one of the par 3s on the back 9 (looks like green renovation happening), and the 6th was playing short due to what looked like flood damage to the tee blocks. I preferred the front 9, and really liked the 6th (even with the forward tees).

First round of club champs, take 2 (last weekend was washed out).

Started on the 10th.

PPPPPPPPP-BPPBPPbPP 71/69

Very boring golf to start with. Had heaps of looks at birdie, but nothing inside about 12 feet, and none dropped on the first 9. Sunk a good putt on 18 though to get up and down. Chunked a 9 iron in the mud on 1, and three putted from way above the hole on 4. Finally sunk a birdie putt on 7, then burned the edge on 8 and lipped out on 9. A solid round, but could've been a bit lower.

First round of club champs, take 2 (last weekend was washed out).

Started on the 10th.

PPPPPPPPP-BPPBPPbPP 71/69

Very boring golf to start with. Had heaps of looks at birdie, but nothing inside about 12 feet, and none dropped on the first 9. Sunk a good putt on 18 though to get up and down. Chunked a 9 iron in the mud on 1, and three putted from way above the hole on 4. Finally sunk a birdie putt on 7, then burned the edge on 8 and lipped out on 9. A solid round, but could've been a bit lower.
    Is this at Brookwater?

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Is this at Brookwater?
    No, Sandy. Brookwater champs were earlier in the year.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

32 points round Royal Nudgee today

4 doubles
    9 bogies
    5 pars

Couldn’t buy a putt. Had at least 5 putts lip out.

Enough for a win in the comp. All winners and runner ups had 32 points across all three divisions 😂

Senior Member Major Winner

Squeezed 2 rounds in today.
    Stableford at North Haven in the morning.
    All parts of game were completely dysfunctional. Struggled all round to scrounge 23pts. 0 Birdies, only 3 Pars and 1 hosel rocket.

Jumped straight in the car after for an hours drive to Balaklava for another Stableford comp.
    Very strange round this one as apart from the 3 hosel rocket chips the others were very good and the putter was on making a heap of up and down saves. Driver was either on or way off. The off were way off missing a long way wide both sides of the body. Made 2 pars and a birdie after recovering from positions I had no right hitting the recovery shots I did.
    End result was a pair 16pt nines that seemed like very hard work.

Expensive day loosing a sleeve of new TP5’s between the 2 rounds.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Second round of club champs today. Started on 10 with a birdie, and that was about it. Made par on 14, and pretty much stuffed every other hole up to varying degrees. I hit plenty of fairways but approaches were largely rubbish. Almost holed a 15-20 metre putt for par on 7, it finished about 3 inches from the hole. 94/78 in the end.
    Social club game at Virginia tomorrow morning.

Senior Member Major Winner

38 points in the single and 40 best ball. Thanks for your help Roy.

Thread Information