Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    CDM, the Australian component looks great.
    I would do Tara Iti over the 2 Auckland courses…but they are both very good (especially in you are a Mackenzie Archie buff).
    Titirangi was designed by the good Doctor on the trip he did RMW. The club has compromised a few of the holes but most of it is genuine Mackenzie.

You want to have your legs in shape to play both PK courses. Its a big walk. If only one of them PKN is the pick. Be aware most clubs on your list require a medical certificate to hire a golf cart. They expect you to walk.

Some very good wineries near Barnbougle to break up the trip.

Enjoy!
    Thanks Pete. I have been working on Tara iti. I do know a few members via other clubs both as luck has it none will be in there while we are. One member will be in Melbourne golfing while we are are in NZL. Figures. Tara iti is currently not allowing unaccompained play One of the members tried to see if they could us out as the very last round knowing we may not finish and we were good with that but a no go right now. I was told we could come by the Pro shop and check it out the place and pick up some merch though..? Sorry but buying something at the pro shop Vs playing the course is like putting lipstick on a pig ... bummed but just means I have to come back to play it

I am a big big fan of the good Doctor! I read years ago it is the only course he designed in New Zealand which was a bit surprising.

We do typically walk or ride I would say a 70/30 split. We all have MGI buggies or something similar. It does sound like most clubs have those for use, even if just push buggies should be good.

The member at PK did mention playing both courses in one day is heck of a work out, so we will see how it goes. I venture to say it will just be the North.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    CDM, I can't help with Royal Auckland and The Grange, both times I was in Auckland we got rained off, I see the weather over there recently hasn't been overly good either.

Tieke was recommended to me by a Kiwi and is potential starter for my own trip so will be interested if you play. As a general rule Kiwis tend to overestimate things in their country. I can say, there's no great need to stay in Hamilton so probably works on the way to Auckland.

I saw a tweet a few weeks ago from Brian Schneider (Renaissance) who said he rated Waverley (3hrs from Wellington, potential stop on the way to Taupo) the 3rd best in the country albeit he hadn't seen everything. https://waverleygolfclub.co.nz/

Also saw some ratings come out last week.

https://www.golferpacific.co.nz/news...u6qstdp4a6or9c
    Great information.

Weather is a concern for sure. I have been talking with someone who plays out of Titirangi and he sent photos from a few weeks ago. The course was hammered so bad in areas. He said overall a majority of the course was in good shape though.

I have been wondering how bad Royal Auckland got hammered as it is in the low lying area and reading about the course it has a history of flooding. We have 5 weeks to go so hopefully weather is better while there.

A good friend has played a lot the courses in New Zealand. His exact words "Kiwis way over estimate" about golf courses. I dont recall the course but he said a few groups he played with were raving about a specific course. It was about 2.5 hours or so off the path he was taking. He decided he would take the hit and drive the 5.0 hr total diffierence......... I will refrain from what he called the course

The course we are really questioning is ParaParaumu. Everyone says Paraparaumu is a must play, top 100 course. We are just not sold it was worth going down to play. Hoping we are wrong.

We have to fly into Auckland for our main flight as Unitied did not go all the way down. So we will fly 16.5 hours just to get back on a plane down to Wellington a few hours after we land. Will drive up and crash out the night before we play Paraparaumu the next morning.

The same friend said Waverly was a surprise to him. We looked but adds to much driving. Once we play ParaParaumu we are driving up to Taupo that afternoon. Kinloch + Wairakei being close proximity to Taupo made more sense to play those both on the same day and stay the one extra night in Taupo.

Tieke is on the drive up, not staying in Hamilton. We did hold a tee time but as of right now it will matter how beat we are and if we caught up on the Jet Lag. If we do play Tieke I will report back on what we think.
    Last edited by CDM; 14th February 2023 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Find a way to get to King Island
    3PuttPete. King island was 100% in the planning of the trip.

The 3 of us laid out two trips. The first trip was Melbourne to King Island over to Barnbougle back to Melbourne.

We settled on NZL-TAS-MEL as the other two feel they will probably not go back to the area so hitting up New Zealand and seeing part of the country was a factor. They felt Barnbougle covered the needs vs King Island. If it was just me on the trip it would have been the first planned trip.

I will be back late 2024 with the family to see the SIL. I will have to work a 2 day trip in over to King Island.
    Last edited by CDM; 14th February 2023 at 02:58 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by CDM View Post
    Great information.

Weather is a concern for sure. I have been talking with someone who plays out of Titirangi and he sent photos from a few weeks ago. The course was hammered so bad in areas. He said overall a majority of the course was in good shape though.

I have been wondering how bad Royal Auckland got hammered as it is in the low lying area and reading about the course it has a history of flooding. We have 5 weeks to go so hopefully weather is better while there.

A good friend has played a lot the courses in New Zealand. His exact words "Kiwis way over estimate" about golf courses. I dont recall the course but he said a few groups he played with were raving about a specific course. It was about 2.5 hours or so off the path he was taking. He decided he would take the hit and drive the 5.0 hr total diffierence......... I will refrain from what he called the course

The course we are really questioning is ParaParaumu. Everyone says Paraparaumu is a must play, top 100 course. We are just not sold it was worth going down to play. Hoping we are wrong.

We have to fly into Auckland for our main flight as Unitied did not go all the way down. So we will fly 16.5 hours just to get back on a plane down to Wellington a few hours after we land. Will drive up and crash out the night before we play Paraparaumu the next morning.

The same friend said Waverly was a surprise to him. We looked but adds to much driving. Once we play ParaParaumu we are driving up to Taupo that afternoon. Kinloch + Wairakei being close proximity to Taupo made more sense to play those both on the same day and stay the one extra night in Taupo.

Tieke is on the drive up, not staying in Hamilton. We did hold a tee time but as of right now it will matter how beat we are and if we caught up on the Jet Lag. If we do play Tieke I will report back on what we think.
    Paraparaumu is an absolute links gem. It's a shame there isnt much else in the region to make it a worthwhile detour. It is light years ahead of Wairakei. Wairakai is very pretty, but the course itself is a but ho-hum.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Great information.

Tough one, given Auckland airport is on the south side of the city, the road down to Taupo is reasonably good so you could probably do it in 3 hrs, likely you wouldn't make it to Wellington with changeovers in that time. That would give you more flexibility around the Wairakei/Kinloch play.

I haven't played Paraparaumu in 20 years, I certainly remember enjoying it however not sure it's worth the round trip. I know you guys will be struggling after a long trip but if you need to stay awake to get rid of the jet lag Wellington is a really good town, plenty of great bars and restaurants, far as I can remember there is not much up the Kapiti Coast. Would only be a 30 minute drive to get to golf the next morning.

Best of luck with the weather.

Member Club Pro

If Tara Iti is out, Te Arai an option? Opened just recently and is the public option to Tara iti.

https://tearai.com/

It looks pretty damn awesome, even the putting green 'The Playground' looks like its worth the travel, beverage service and all.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Tough one, given Auckland airport is on the south side of the city, the road down to Taupo is reasonably good so you could probably do it in 3 hrs, likely you wouldn't make it to Wellington with changeovers in that time. That would give you more flexibility around the Wairakei/Kinloch play.

I haven't played Paraparaumu in 20 years, I certainly remember enjoying it however not sure it's worth the round trip. I know you guys will be struggling after a long trip but if you need to stay awake to get rid of the jet lag Wellington is a really good town, plenty of great bars and restaurants, far as I can remember there is not much up the Kapiti Coast. Would only be a 30 minute drive to get to golf the next morning.

Best of luck with the weather.
    Mick,

I played at Paraparaumu a few years ago and back then it was a sleepy town with not much open late and only a few restaurants, maybe this has changed since then.

The course is excellent but the rough was like a Open Championship.

Once you get out of Wellington it's a one lane road and very windy in parts so a longish drive.

We drove from Paraparaumu to play Cape Kidnappers and I don't remember many (if any) real highways like exist in the USA and lots of trucks on the roads.

Given the cyclonic conditions that have hit the Nth Island it would be advisable to see if any of the major roads have been damaged.

Peter T
    Last edited by pt73; 14th February 2023 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    If Tara Iti is out, Te Arai an option? Opened just recently and is the public option to Tara iti.

https://tearai.com/

It looks pretty damn awesome, even the putting green 'The Playground' looks like its worth the travel, beverage service and all.
    We are on a list right now. First year open and they changed it up for play, you have to stay on site now to play it. Which is tough as they have limited rooms. They are limiting rounds to allow it to grow in as the concern was to much play early on. We are 50/50 on it if we get a room, issue we need 2 rooms since there is 3 of us.

Thank you, that is a great write up! Looking like it was a wise choice to go play it now.

Member Club Pro

We are on a list right now. First year open and they changed it up for play, you have to stay on site now to play it. Which is tough as they have limited rooms. They are limiting rounds to allow it to grow in as the concern was to much play early on. We are 50/50 on it if we get a room, issue we need 2 rooms since there is 3 of us.
    Ah right and with the recent cyclone through there, they are probably being even more careful.

You could always go head tail head in the bed...

We got back a couple of days ago and have to say playing all the courses was fantastic.

Barny Dunes and Kinston Heath were my favorites of the trip by far. Both courses are just so much fun to play...! Coin toss but I could play either of those all the time. If I was forced to play just one I would probably go Kinston Heath. Love the mix of short/long holes (risk reward) and the routing plus the design aspects.

Barny Dunes....What a fantastic / fun course to play. Such a great layout and fun mix of holes. I have played a number of Doak courses and most are always really good but not my favorite designs but he hit it out of the park with Barny Dunes. Fantastic to play.

Lost Farms.... really really good C&C course but I think if you go to Barny you need to play Lost Farm's first for sure. Playing the Dunes first made LF seem bland so to speak.

Royal Melbourne (Composite) is amazing..! The design and selection of holes might be the best 18 holes I have seen on a course. That said I would not want to play that all the time! It beat us up as we went along. I started P/Bogey/P.... mate started P/Birdie/P but he should have birdied the 3rd.....by hole 11 we gave up on keeping score LOL

Paraparaumu is great. Very different from all the others and had some really cool design aspects. Loved the greens how they did like a 45 at the edges. Some really good design holes that had good risk reward.

Wairakei.....okay layout and pretty course? Its very nice but was not to my liking overall. It felt like what we have in the states by a company known as Troon Golf to me. High end public / resort courses. Design was nothing special but nothing bad. The conditions were fantastic and some of the best, right there with PK. More of a visual course as the primary drive.

Peninsula Kingswood... I have never seen a club like that. Soon as you enter it smacks you in the face. The money they spent from the land deal, you can see all of it went into the redo and club house. Amazing facilities..! The north course was a super fun course and some great holes. The greens were some of the best rolling greens we played next to RAGGC..

Metropolitan.... Another great course. The one thing that stood out to me at Metro was the club membership. It felt like a members club where they get together in groups, comps and hang out a lot. Not just to play comps but play together on and off too. That members do not join for the practice areas, amenties, etc. A course people join to play a great course but also to hang out with mates and more social.

Royal Auckland and Grange GC.... great place and great courses. Hands down amazing green conditions. They have sub air greens, so they must have turned them up or something as we have never putted on greens that fast...EVER. Even the member was caught off guard how fast they were the day we played. Maybe pumped them up for the masters or something LOL. RAGGC was one of the favorites for sure based on the course conditions and greens. Pretty sure all of us had 10-12 3 putts based on how fast they were rolling.

Titirangi.... the good doctor did a great job and had some great holes. That noted it was not high on our list compared to others at the end of the trip.
    Conditions were good but based on other courses we played we figured it would be better. Though it looks like it also gets a ton of play.

Removing the course design I am sure other factors played in personally for each. First we got soaked bad in the heavy rain on the front 9 and I forgot my rain gear that morning...! That is on me. On Hole 11, I hit a drive down the left side near the tall trees and the ball settled down in the rough and when I hit out I a tree root or something. It flat stopped the club head and jacked up my left wrist. Hurt like hell and that followed me for the next 7 rounds. *still hurts today.

The one common factor everyone commented about Titirangi after our trip flying home is what they charge to play as an "international" player. We all felt Titrangi as good as the course is, is not worth that price. Not knocking the course as it is a really really good course but not at that rate.

Barny Dunes and Lost Farms (both courses) are the same price basically what they hit us up for the one round. We planned for the cost so not an issue, but when it is one of the most expensive rounds I think everyone had a perceived "expectation". We all felt it did not live up to it price. Now at the normal rate sure. *I would also say the same about Wairakei but course conditions were way way better rain or no rain and Wairakei offers a lot more.

Overall a fantastic trip. We meet some amazing people along the way and happy we made the trip.

Edit: We took in are first AFL game...!! Awesome to watch. It was raining on and off so we moved up and down from seats. We could watch it or see it on the TV's too at MCG but it is so much more fun watching it live. Fantastic sport. Fan of it now for sure.
    Last edited by CDM; 14th April 2023 at 06:25 AM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

We got back a couple of days ago...
    Awesome, sounds like a great trip with a good mix of course styles. It's a shame you didn't play Kinloch instead of Wairekei, as it's only a little bit bit of a drive further from Taupo.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Apparently Melbourne still has border controls and need to pass an interview to get in.

https://youtu.be/VVhxz6aQtjk
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

We got back a couple of days ago and have to say playing all the courses was fantastic.

Barny Dunes and Kinston Heath were my favorites of the trip by far. Both courses are just so much fun to play...! Coin toss but I could play either of those all the time. If I was forced to play just one I would probably go Kinston Heath. Love the mix of short/long holes (risk reward) and the routing plus the design aspects.

Barny Dunes....What a fantastic / fun course to play. Such a great layout and fun mix of holes. I have played a number of Doak courses and most are always really good but not my favorite designs but he hit it out of the park with Barny Dunes. Fantastic to play.

Lost Farms.... really really good C&C course but I think if you go to Barny you need to play Lost Farm's first for sure. Playing the Dunes first made LF seem bland so to speak.

Royal Melbourne (Composite) is amazing..! The design and selection of holes might be the best 18 holes I have seen on a course. That said I would not want to play that all the time! It beat us up as we went along. I started P/Bogey/P.... mate started P/Birdie/P but he should have birdied the 3rd.....by hole 11 we gave up on keeping score LOL

Paraparaumu is great. Very different from all the others and had some really cool design aspects. Loved the greens how they did like a 45 at the edges. Some really good design holes that had good risk reward.

Wairakei.....okay layout and pretty course? Its very nice but was not to my liking overall. It felt like what we have in the states by a company known as Troon Golf to me. High end public / resort courses. Design was nothing special but nothing bad. The conditions were fantastic and some of the best, right there with PK. More of a visual course as the primary drive.

Peninsula Kingswood... I have never seen a club like that. Soon as you enter it smacks you in the face. The money they spent from the land deal, you can see all of it went into the redo and club house. Amazing facilities..! The north course was a super fun course and some great holes. The greens were some of the best rolling greens we played next to RAGGC..

Metropolitan.... Another great course. The one thing that stood out to me at Metro was the club membership. It felt like a members club where they get together in groups, comps and hang out a lot. Not just to play comps but play together on and off too. That members do not join for the practice areas, amenties, etc. A course people join to play a great course but also to hang out with mates and more social.

Royal Auckland and Grange GC.... great place and great courses. Hands down amazing green conditions. They have sub air greens, so they must have turned them up or something as we have never putted on greens that fast...EVER. Even the member was caught off guard how fast they were the day we played. Maybe pumped them up for the masters or something LOL. RAGGC was one of the favorites for sure based on the course conditions and greens. Pretty sure all of us had 10-12 3 putts based on how fast they were rolling.

Titirangi.... the good doctor did a great job and had some great holes. That noted it was not high on our list compared to others at the end of the trip.
    Conditions were good but based on other courses we played we figured it would be better. Though it looks like it also gets a ton of play.

Removing the course design I am sure other factors played in personally for each. First we got soaked bad in the heavy rain on the front 9 and I forgot my rain gear that morning...! That is on me. On Hole 11, I hit a drive down the left side near the tall trees and the ball settled down in the rough and when I hit out I a tree root or something. It flat stopped the club head and jacked up my left wrist. Hurt like hell and that followed me for the next 7 rounds. *still hurts today.

The one common factor everyone commented about Titirangi after our trip flying home is what they charge to play as an "international" player. We all felt Titrangi as good as the course is, is not worth that price. Not knocking the course as it is a really really good course but not at that rate.

Barny Dunes and Lost Farms (both courses) are the same price basically what they hit us up for the one round. We planned for the cost so not an issue, but when it is one of the most expensive rounds I think everyone had a perceived "expectation". We all felt it did not live up to it price. Now at the normal rate sure. *I would also say the same about Wairakei but course conditions were way way better rain or no rain and Wairakei offers a lot more.

Overall a fantastic trip. We meet some amazing people along the way and happy we made the trip.

Edit: We took in are first AFL game...!! Awesome to watch. It was raining on and off so we moved up and down from seats. We could watch it or see it on the TV's too at MCG but it is so much more fun watching it live. Fantastic sport. Fan of it now for sure.
    Awesome write-up, and glad you had a great time!

Out of curiosity, which AFL game did you get to?

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

why do you set yourself up for anger so willingly?

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post

More importantly, how is the Royal these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Awesome, sounds like a great trip with a good mix of course styles. It's a shame you didn't play Kinloch instead of Wairekei, as it's only a little bit bit of a drive further from Taupo.
    WE TRIED......After Wairekei we drove over to Kinloch and got there around 1:40 in the afternoon. There was not a person around, the pro shop was closed, etc. Empty.

We were very very surprised as we thought we could maybe at least get in 11-14 holes at min. We thought about just walking out and if anyone came up to us tell them we wanted to play it and just pay the greens fee. We debated it for 15 mins probably but the thought of getting busted for trespassing in a county we are not from might not be a good idea.

*Wairekei was not on my personal for note, i had Kinloch but the other two wanted to play it.
    Last edited by CDM; 20th April 2023 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Apparently Melbourne still has border controls and need to pass an interview to get in.

https://youtu.be/VVhxz6aQtjk

HAHAHA.

We did have to fill out the temp visa and question via APP. Note... the NZL app was complete sh*t compared to the AUS app...! We had no idea if it was approved or not until we landed in Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post

Richmond Vs Western Bulldogs. It rained on and off all night but was awesome to see live. MCG is an awesome stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    More importantly, how is the Royal these days?
    Not bad....not bad at all

Though we did not stay very long (one drink) as we were running late that day on things. Mainly my fault as I picked up a putter from Lajosi while there and they were nice enough to open Satruday afternoon to allow me to come pick it up as our schedules did not match up based on our play times Thursday and Friday.

Richmond Vs Western Bulldogs. It rained on and off all night but was awesome to see live. MCG is an awesome stadium.
    Nice, I'm a Dogs fan and while that wasn't the most fantastic exhibition of the game, it would have been very decent to watch. Momentum swings, nice and tight, some great displays of skill, and some shining examples of absolutely putrid ones.

Glad you enjoyed, and yeah, the 'G is for sure Australia's Colosseum...
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Thread Information