Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

Default Must Plays Melbourne - Public OR Private

Hello. New to forum but been lurking for some time.

First off Great Forum. Second, yes I am from the US...I can take getting flamed

Wife and I will be in Melbourne for 12 days in April of '23. *Bit out I know.... *Her sister has been there 14 years and we have never come to see her, so was told WE ARE GOING.....any married man knows the look that came with that comment HAHAHA

I will be able to get in 5-7 rounds. There is SOOOO many amazing courses (public/private) in the area it is overwhelming so figured best to ask those who actually play them.

If there is anything I should know for that time of year, please fire away. Thank you in advance for any information.

*Side note: I am a member of club, "rankings" wise it is listed pretty high but we all know rankings are subjective...!!
    Last edited by CDM; 16th July 2022 at 04:05 AM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Welcome to the forum, CDM.

If you get a letter of introduction from your home club, then the possibilities of playing some of the more exclusive private courses opens up.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The various ratings aren't wrong when you are looking at the Top 20 but you will pay up for the private sandbelt courses.

12 days with the SIL (torture), I'd be contemplating a few days away in the middle, depending on what side of Melbourne, head down to either the Mornington or Bellarine Peninsula, Mornington IMO has the better options, you have The Dunes, St Andrews Beach, 3 courses at The National, also some great "older" style courses like Portsea, Sorrento and Flinders.

If you go the other way via Geelong you have 2 courses at 13th Beach/Lonsdale Links/Curlewis but also drive the Great Ocean Road and play Warrnambool and forum favourite Port Fairy,
    Last edited by PerryGroves; 15th July 2022 at 10:33 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

What Andy said. With a letter of introduction from your club and a credit card you’ll be able to get onto just about every course in Melbourne. Tee times might be limited for interstate and overseas visitors but there are generally a few blocks of tee times available every week. Agree the rankings can be subjective but working your way top down the list is a good start. Getting out to the Bellarine peninsula and Mornington peninsula for a day or two open up your possibilities too.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    The various ratings aren't wrong when you are looking at the Top 20 but you will pay up for the private sandbelt courses.

12 days with the SIL (torture), I'd be contemplating a few days away in the middle, depending on what side of Melbourne, head down to either the Mornington or Bellarine Peninsula, Mornington IMO has the better options, you have The Dunes, St Andrews Beach, 3 courses at The National, also some great "older" style courses like Portsea, Sorrento and Flinders.

If you go the other way via Geelong you have 2 courses at 13th Beach/Lonsdale Links/Curlewis but also drive the Great Ocean Road and play Warrnambool and forum favourite Port Fairy,
    You've also got Barwon Heads down the Bellarine.

Outside the top tier Sandbelt courses, the cost v quality of the courses would be hard to beat anywhere (and even then then RM, KH etc are still worthy).

If you can swing a day or so away from Melbourne, maybe see if you could swing a flight to Barnbougle or King Island.

April should be a good time, no daylight savings but weather should mild and it will will pennant season so private tracks should be in good nick and not doing major maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by CDM View Post
    Hello. New to forum but been lurking for some time. First off Great Forum. Second, yes I am from the US...I can take getting flamed Wife and I will be in Melbourne for 12 days in April of '23. *Bit out I know.... *Her sister has been there 14 years and we have never come to see her, so was told WE ARE GOING.....any married man knows the look that came with that comment HAHAHAI will be able to get in 5-7 rounds. There is SOOOO many amazing courses (public/private) in the area it is overwhelming so figured best to ask those who actually play them. If there is anything I should know to for that time of year fire away. Thank you in advance for any information. *Side note: I am a member of club, "rankings" wise it is listed pretty high but we all know rankings are subjective...!!
    Where in Melb are you staying?Any travel restrictions?

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

If you want public access with no issues, on the Mornington side St Andrews Beach, Portsea and The Dunes would make a really good couple of days.

Going the other way, Barwon Heads, 13th Beach Beach, Curlewis and Lonsdale would work a treat.

As for pure Sandbelt and Top 10ish, start sending emails and ask really nicely. Does Victoria GC still do accomm and a round at a 'reasonable' price?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Blog Entries

Do you have any decent reciprocals with your club?

The top melb courses will let interstate club players on their courses…generally Mondays, Tuesday arvos, Thursday arvos!
    You need to ask about course green reno’s as some clubs may b3 doing them in April. Otherwise, it is a good month to play!

You must get a letter of introduction to them several weeks before visiting! I also agree that the good public courses on either peninsular are very good and a lower cost/easier to organise game!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Blog Entries

Peninsular-Kingswood do very good standard accommodation and you also get the right to play their 2 courses…both of which would be top 15 in Australia. Go see what $75M gets you in golf!
    Gamers

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post

If you get a letter of introduction from your home club, then the possibilities of playing some of the more exclusive private courses opens up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    What Andy said. With a letter of introduction from your club and a credit card you’ll be able to get onto just about every course in Melbourne. Tee times might be limited for interstate and overseas visitors but there are generally a few blocks of tee times available every week. Agree the rankings can be subjective but working your way top down the list is a good start. Getting out to the Bellarine peninsula and Mornington peninsula for a day or two open up your possibilities too.

HAHAHA SIL will only be with us for 4-5 days. Wife and I mainly to sight see and it allows me time to play some the amazing tracks you have.

I checked prices for guest play at the top privates and though fairly expensive they seem so worth it. I will say RM was a bit of a shocker on the total and they only let you play one course per day? So can not do the West in morning and East in afternoon?

The Dunes, St Andrews Beach, National I did look, Those made the list, but the list is sooooo long now and given 7 might be the max rounds I have to pick. Maybe should extend the trip LOL

IT is crazy how good of golf you guys have plus I am huge fan of links style courses.

I have a letter from the club already so good on that side if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Where in Melb are you staying?Any travel restrictions?
    Wife is informing me it is Elwood / Brighton area? I looked at distances of courses from the area and was surprised to see RM, Victoria are pretty close, or looks close on the map. No restrictions on travel.

My intent is to see if I can get out early mornings? That way can play and then spend the rest of the day with Fam. I am lucky I guess as the wife knows there is NO WAY I would go to Melbourne and not play. That would be torture

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Peninsular-Kingswood do very good standard accommodation and you also get the right to play their 2 courses…both of which would be top 15 in Australia. Go see what $75M gets you in golf!
    PK is one of the top on the list. The North course looks incredible.

To answer a few more questions: I have a letter from my club. I am a member here https://www.prairiedunes.com/

Just posting for disclosure, not a brag. Just not familiar if a course "status" matters in AUS or not. In Ireland/Scottland you can access all the top which is awesome. In the US everything sadly it does matter and the block off request per se if your club is not viewed "good enough". I only joined only PD because I love links style courses and fell in love with it after playing it once. Some reviews of it below.

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/go.../prairie-dunes
    https://www.golfdigest.com/places-to...s-country-club
    https://golf.com/travel/courses/top-...20-21-edition/ *31th on list

As to access I am thinking of trying two ways to access the privates. The Letter of intro as noted but first I think I will try Thousand Greens. Not sure if anyone has heard of it or not, but it was set up by an huge AVID golfer to connect members of other clubs so they can send play request to other members, home-away's, events, etc. It covers the world and I noticed the top private ones in your area have a number of members and fairly acceptance rate. Just not sure if members at privates in Melbourne use it for just local home / aways and if so totally understand.

Greatly appreciate the info so far, going to work out some form of schedule but as it sits I am really think a few Private but hit some the publics. Dunes, National are really calling me.

I also wondered if I "work" the wife and try to jump to King Island OR Barnbougle.... Again JUST CRAZY how good of golf you guys have.

Side question: Why does it seem most the privates allow international players with a letter of introduction? Yet seems they don't allow minor public play? I assume it is just the $$ side? If so I would think allowing some minor public play at same rate would still give them the money.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post

Andy just wanted to give a thumbs up on the forum. Been lurking a bit as noted and enjoy the great info from the members.

Okay your not helping 13th Beach and Port Fairy looks amazing too.... ugghh LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    If you want public access with no issues, on the Mornington side St Andrews Beach, Portsea and The Dunes would make a really good couple of days.Going the other way, Barwon Heads, 13th Beach Beach, Curlewis and Lonsdale would work a treat.As for pure Sandbelt and Top 10ish, start sending emails and ask really nicely. Does Victoria GC still do accomm and a round at a 'reasonable' price?
    Yes i believe Vic do, not sure it's a "reasonable price" though

100% play n stay at PK

Blog Entries

Hi CDM,
    its Pete here. Are u and your partner visiting from the States? Also, What are your dates in melb as I may be able to help you get on somewhere pretty good. Please pm (you may have to enable that) me rather than replying through the forum.

regards,
    pete
    Gamers

Senior Member Major Winner

Hi CDM,
    its Pete here. Are u and your partner visiting from the States? Also, What are your dates in melb as I may be able to help you get on somewhere pretty good. Please pm (you may have to enable that) me rather than replying through the forum.

regards,
    pete
    Are you still at Albert Park Pete?

Blog Entries

You mean Royal Albert Park 4PP?
    Gamers

You mean Royal Albert Park 4PP?
    I thought that was a given

Blog Entries

No, I’m not there pete…but I wish I was!
    Gamers

Hi CDM,

regards,
    pete
    Pete
    Sincerely appreciate the offer. I will message you.

Everyone the info has been great and wholeheartedly appreciate all the advice. Right now it, waiting on Wife/SIL for final dates but sure looking like first 2 weeks of April, or 2-3 week of April next year.

I started to craft up some form of timeline that revolves around 12 days in the AUS. If all in MEL or not is to be decided.

@Royalpark..... I did mention it to the wife today that maybe we should jumping over to KI for Cape Wickham and Ocean. That got the "hmmm okay" look. Interestingly she seemed more open to going over to Barnbougle. There is some interest I think as she would like to site see over there for a day or two.

As it stands in our "negotiations" I think I am solid on 6-7 rounds. So maybe 4-5 in MEL and see how the rest plays out.

Once I get it this more locked in will post up a tentative thoughts to see what can be done. I know its a ways out and praying we don't run into COVID issues again..!

Planning question: Is the Great Ocean Road worth it? Worth going all the way to Port Fairy? A little site seeing a little Port Fairy Golf Club Probably 2 days though with drive, playing next morning and coming back? Just wonder if that is time well spent?

Ocean road - it's a great drive but if your only here for 2 weeks I wouldn't do it personally

Quote Originally Posted by CDM View Post
    Everyone the info has been great and wholeheartedly appreciate all the advice. Right now it, waiting on Wife/SIL for final dates but sure looking like first 2 weeks of April, or 2-3 week of April next year.

I started to craft up some form of timeline that revolves around 12 days in the AUS. If all in MEL or not is to be decided.

@Royalpark..... I did mention it to the wife today that maybe we should jumping over to KI for Cape Wickham and Ocean. That got the "hmmm okay" look. Interestingly she seemed more open to going over to Barnbougle. There is some interest I think as she would like to site see over there for a day or two.

As it stands in our "negotiations" I think I am solid on 6-7 rounds. So maybe 4-5 in MEL and see how the rest plays out.

Once I get it this more locked in will post up a tentative thoughts to see what can be done. I know its a ways out and praying we don't run into COVID issues again..!

Planning question: Is the Great Ocean Road worth it? Worth going all the way to Port Fairy? A little site seeing a little Port Fairy Golf Club Probably 2 days though with drive, playing next morning and coming back? Just wonder if that is time well spent?
    The Great Ocean is about 25% the PCH. All you need to know is if you like links golf, drive the Great Ocean Road and don’t play Port Fairy you should hate yourself.

Thread Information