Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

Some great banter on Richmond Vs Bulldogs.

Appreciate the information on AFL tickets. Talking with some the people we are playing with, there has been a fwe offers of getting us tickets in the members reserve section. Wondering would some "americans" sitting in the members section be an issue? Want to enjoy it all to the fullest but also dont want to have "issues". Can see it now they loose and we get blamed LOL

Great pre-game aspects noted..! Looked up the Royal Hotel, found two... I assume based on location the one on Punt Street. the one on Bourke Street looks good too but yes Punt street looks much better

The trip being set for the most part, we have been trying to research some good locations for food and drinks in CBD area. Our accomodations have us right between MCG and CBD (SE) area. 8-10 min walk to either. 15 mins to the Royal for note LOL. Probably not the best location for driving down to sand belt area but something has to give...
    Last edited by CDM; 24th January 2023 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    If as I suspect you are and flying direct to Hobart, you'll be arriving at one of smallest international airports in the world. If staying in Hobart and wanting to play, there are a couple of people that can possibly host you, myself included. And again if time permits, if you want something very Australian and golf related, Ratho Farm is the oldest course in Aus and quirky as hell. Drive time from Hobart to Barny is about 3-4 hours. Althought a trip via the east coast is pretty scenic.

Also, go to the Tigs Dogs game at the MCG. Go have a feed and beer in a Richmond pub and then walk to the ground. May I suggest the Royal hotel.....

@Parkroyal correct,direct into Hobart. We land around 11ish that Sunday. Currently we have no plans on playing around Hobart though we have the time and have discussed it. The drive I recall to barnbougle is around 3 hours and not in a rush as it is a travel day on our diary.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by CDM View Post
    Some great banter on Richmond Vs Bulldogs.

Appreciate the information on AFL tickets. Talking with some the people we are playing with, there has been a fwe offers of getting us tickets in the members reserve section. Wondering would some "americans" sitting in the members section be an issue? Want to enjoy it all to the fullest but also dont want to have "issues". Can see it now they loose and we get blamed LOL
    There would be no issues whatsoever and you would likely be welcomed by all around you to make sure you are having a good time at the game.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    There would be no issues whatsoever and you would likely be welcomed by all around you to make sure you are having a good time at the game.
    Excellent.

Member Club Pro

Maybe steer clear of the Grog Squad (apart from your visit to the Royal), but yeah as Bruce said you'd be more than welcome.

Hobart and Tasmania has plenty of options for non golfers to enjoy. Nice places to eat and drink, Mona is always a good visit and if its a good day a trip up the mountain is worth it.

I was asked an interesting question today by one the other members on the golf trip.

He owns as MGI Zip Navigator and was wondeirng if there is a place to rent those or something similar while in Melbourne? I use an Alphard V2 on my Clickgear 3.5. I was thinking of using a normal buggy for the rounds but now wondeirng if there are places that rent them? Do courses rent them? Probably not searching right but I could not find anywhere that does rent them for a short period?

75% of golfers take carts over here........which can make for long rounds as they drive back and forth to each ball and watch each other hit
    Last edited by CDM; 31st January 2023 at 09:06 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Some clubs do maintain a few units like Navigators to be hired similar to hiring a cart for a round. (eg mine)

I haven't heard of anywhere that hires them away from a club and I recently tried to find that - my google fu is usually pretty strong but I couldn't crack that nut.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Senior Member Major Winner

Almost all clubs will have pull/push buggies for free/hire per round

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Hopefully they give them a buggy, nothing like being in the UK, shelling out 300 quid for a round and then the pro shop wants another fiver for a wonky old buggy that's been in service since WW2.

Apart from Vic, which I'm not sure CDM is playing, the rest of the sand belt is pretty flat.........well compared to Sydney anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Some clubs do maintain a few units like Navigators to be hired similar to hiring a cart for a round. (eg mine)

I haven't heard of anywhere that hires them away from a club and I recently tried to find that - my google fu is usually pretty strong but I couldn't crack that nut.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Hopefully they give them a buggy, nothing like being in the UK, shelling out 300 quid for a round and then the pro shop wants another fiver for a wonky old buggy that's been in service since WW2.

Apart from Vic, which I'm not sure CDM is playing, the rest of the sand belt is pretty flat.........well compared to Sydney anyway.
    Thank you for the quick replies. I could not find any that had rentals either. I thought maybe some small local shops would or something. Our plan is to just use standard buggies but figured would check.

Currently playing RM, Heath, Metro and PK. We have an open day and could play National in the morning but we figured take a down day, relax and maybe see what the hype is all about at the Royal Hotel then take in our first AFL game.

Blog Entries

Thank you for the quick replies. I could not find any that had rentals either. I thought maybe some small local shops would or something. Our plan is to just use standard buggies but figured would check.

Currently playing RM, Heath, Metro and PK. We have an open day and could play National in the morning but we figured take a down day, relax and maybe see what the hype is all about at the Royal Hotel then take in our first AFL game.
    Thats a great set of courses. Play PK North if they give u the chance…its better than the south (which is very good). The jet lag will wack you so a no golf day is recommended! A day at the footy (MCG) will be a memorable experience. The noise when 70000+ are in will raise the hairs on the back of your neck. You should read up on some of the rules of AFL or you will have as much Idea as an Australian at an NFL match!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Blog Entries

Approach into the 9th at Kingston Heath yesterday!
    Attached Images
    Gamers

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Oooohhhh, can you say sucker pin???
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Oooohhhh, can you say sucker pin???
    it is somewhat LH as the green approaches give a bounce right toward the deep evil little bunker! The green runs away from the front left to the back right so any shot (even with a SW will tend to kick forward somewhat). Great little hole…one of my favourites there!
    Gamers

How good is PK omg my good was down there thursday friday for the Paradym launch. This has to be one of the best courses i have played and ive played alot.

Yeah I played North last Monday and South last Tuesday and I think North is my new fav course I've played.

Blog Entries

PK shows what you can do with $75M. Even before that cash injection, it was a great piece of land for golf!
    Gamers

wow $75M thats heaps but you can see it no expense spared.

40 days roughly to go and so looking forward to playing all the rounds. Kinston Heath is the last round of trip and it was intentional on my part...! Looks in spectaicular shape..! We are either browned out or a ton of snow... Not helping get the "rust" off prior to the trip and I picked up new irons over the holidays..! Could be interesting LOL

Edit: Pete hoping the member we are playing has as good on knowledge of a course as you do. I know when I have had people out to Prairie Dunes to play the greens are can be so brutal at PD some say it is not fair. I give them all hte info one can but I can not hit the shot for them =)
    Last edited by CDM; 13th February 2023 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by golfbound View Post
    How good is PK omg my good was down there thursday friday for the Paradym launch. This has to be one of the best courses i have played and ive played alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGasman View Post
    Yeah I played North last Monday and South last Tuesday and I think North is my new fav course I've played.
    PK shows what you can do with $75M. Even before that cash injection, it was a great piece of land for golf!
    Quote Originally Posted by golfbound View Post
    wow $75M thats heaps but you can see it no expense spared.
    PK North is our first round in Melbourne. We are planning on playing the north but the member noted we probably can get both in. I do a ZOOM meeting with the members we are playing with if they want. if I am hosting or being hosted as just I want to make sure they know and I know none of us are on some "Top 10" most wanted list.

I spoke with a friend that was over in Melbourne for business for and he played RM west and PK North. He said architecturally RM West is the best but from a pure "fun" to play persepctive PK north was awesome and he could play it all the time.

Have a different question but not it is related to New Zealand. Looks like Tara iti as noted is a slim chance. Still trying to adjust schedules but figure it is not going to happen.

Has anyone played Royal Auckland and Grange and Golf Club?

I know it was redone a few years ago. A member is graciously willing to host us and I hear it is great. Just wondering if anyone has played it in the last few years since the redo?

Appreciate all the feedback in this thread.

IF anyone has good suggestions for places to eat, grab drinks, etc we are wide open on that...! We are staying approximately 10 min walk to CBD area.

Here is the list of golf we setup at this point:

Paraparaumu Golf Club

Wairakei - Kinloch *We can use carts at both so figure double day given how close they are
    Royal Auckland and Grange Golf Club *unless Tara iti works out
    Titirangi Golf Club *unless Tara iti works out

Barnbougle Dunes
    Barnbougle Lost Farms
    Bougle Run

Peninsula Kingswood - North
    *Maybe south also..TBD
    Royal Melbourne - West
    Metropolitain Golf Club
    Kinston Heath

Optional rounds:
    Tieke Golf Estate
    is a "maybe". It is one the way up to Auckland from Taupo.

The National
    is an option and would the round between RM and Metro but the other two on the trip are more for a down day. See the AFL game and the Royal Hotel now too... LOL
    Last edited by CDM; 13th February 2023 at 07:22 AM.

Blog Entries

CDM, the Australian component looks great.
    I would do Tara Iti over the 2 Auckland courses…but they are both very good (especially in you are a Mackenzie Archie buff).
    Titirangi was designed by the good Doctor on the trip he did RMW. The club has compromised a few of the holes but most of it is genuine Mackenzie.

You want to have your legs in shape to play both PK courses. Its a big walk. If only one of them PKN is the pick. Be aware most clubs on your list require a medical certificate to hire a golf cart. They expect you to walk.

Some very good wineries near Barnbougle to break up the trip.

Enjoy!
    Gamers

CDM, I can't help with Royal Auckland and The Grange, both times I was in Auckland we got rained off, I see the weather over there recently hasn't been overly good either.

Tieke was recommended to me by a Kiwi and is potential starter for my own trip so will be interested if you play. As a general rule Kiwis tend to overestimate things in their country. I can say, there's no great need to stay in Hamilton so probably works on the way to Auckland.

I saw a tweet a few weeks ago from Brian Schneider (Renaissance) who said he rated Waverley (3hrs from Wellington, potential stop on the way to Taupo) the 3rd best in the country albeit he hadn't seen everything. https://waverleygolfclub.co.nz/

Also saw some ratings come out last week.

https://www.golferpacific.co.nz/news...u6qstdp4a6or9c
    Last edited by PerryGroves; 13th February 2023 at 08:04 AM.

Appreciate all the feedback in this thread.

IF anyone has good suggestions for places to eat, grab drinks, etc we are wide open on that...! We are staying approximately 10 min walk to CBD area.

Here is the list of golf we setup at this point:

Paraparaumu Golf Club

Wairakei - Kinloch *We can use carts at both so figure double day given how close they are
    Royal Auckland and Grange Golf Club *unless Tara iti works out
    Titirangi Golf Club *unless Tara iti works out

Barnbougle Dunes
    Barnbougle Lost Farms
    Bougle Run

Peninsula Kingswood - North
    *Maybe south also..TBD
    Royal Melbourne - West
    Metropolitain Golf Club
    Kinston Heath

Optional rounds:
    Tieke Golf Estate
    is a "maybe". It is one the way up to Auckland from Taupo.

The National
    is an option and would the round between RM and Metro but the other two on the trip are more for a down day. See the AFL game and the Royal Hotel now too... LOL
    Find a way to get to King Island

Thread Information