Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by CDM View Post
    Great info and reason I asked, real players know courses. Cape Wickham looks amazing. So if I can get away the consensus is CW and rail it as many rounds as possible over 2 days. *Figure loosing a day on flight.

I would love to do both but I know it will not be possible.
    You can and should do both. Ocean Dunes is 5 minutes from the airport - and despite the bagging it gets here from a few, its still amazing - just not as good as its island neighbour!

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Member Club Pro

FYI - Barny now has 3 courses

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

110%...! All the courses I have looked at/reviewed there is something about KH and the PK North course that draws me in. The images, reviews, etc. Those two are at the top of my list, next are RM and VIC.

Another question: Metro? Thoughts? Is there others to jump on over it? South Pen courses ?

Baring the Cape Wickham side trip (if I can pull it off...) I am pretty sure I should be able to get in 6 rounds in the MEL area.

Edit: I would be curious what everyone has rankings/favorites personally.
    So if the logistics of Tasmania is just to hard - and in no particular order (they are all memorable). You really cant go wrong with these.

All easy to get to from the CBD

Must plays:

RM W
    Kingston Heath
    Victoria
    PK North
    PK South

Have a day to spare:

Yarra Yarra
    Metro
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Senior Member Major Winner

110%...! All the courses I have looked at/reviewed there is something about KH and the PK North course that draws me in. The images, reviews, etc. Those two are at the top of my list, next are RM and VIC.

Another question: Metro? Thoughts? Is there others to jump on over it? South Pen courses ?

Baring the Cape Wickham side trip (if I can pull it off...) I am pretty sure I should be able to get in 6 rounds in the MEL area.

Edit: I would be curious what everyone has rankings/favorites personally.
    Now we're in my wheelhouse, piss off all those other stupid links tracks and just hit the absolutely pure golden goodness that is the Melbourne Sandbelt.

My order is:
    1. RM West - Absolutely must do. If you come to Melbourne and don't play it I will hunt you down and berate you and make sure you regret it for the rest of your life.
    2. Metro - Probably a controversial call amongst most, but I think the architecture here is exquisite, just a shame it's let down by 2 holes (9 and 10, you'll see why when you get there). The way the bunkers are cut into the greens is a thing of beauty.
    3. Peninsula North - Haven't played it since its reno, but it was great before then, can only imagine double digit millions of dollars has made it amazing.
    4. Victoria - A fantastic track, you MUST have a go at the greens on 1 and 15 if you're only playing it once. Great course throughout, just let down by a lack of a "signature hole".
    5. RM East - C'mon, it's the shitty little brother, but it's STILL Royal Melbourne.
    6. Peninsula South - Was my favourite of the two courses pre-reno, but has always been viewed as the lesser of the two tracks.
    7. Kingston Heath - Another controversial call, but it underwhelms for me. I even find its "signature hole" fairly meh.
    8. Yarra Yarra - Was once regarded as one of the premium Melbourne tracks (and one of my favourites), but it slipped down the rankings without so much as a whimper. Has had renos recently and is reportedly getting back to its glory days.
    9. Commonwealth - A solid, yet slightly unremarkable track, it's good / great, but you'd be a fool to play it ahead of any of the others. Exceeeeppppttttt......
    10. Huntingdale - Don't go anywhere near this piece of dogshit. If ever a course has run off its reputation for far too long, it's this one.

If you're after a little relief on the wallet, other suggestions in the area include Spring Valley and Woodlands. Both would be on the same level as Commonwealth, maybe slightly better.

If you're an absolute sadomasochist, head down to Long Island. I've never had a course that looks no tougher than any other so consistently and repeatedly kick my arse.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    A "14 hole short course" is not a golf course.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Only someone who has never seen it would say that.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Only someone who has never seen it would say that.
    It's not.

And I could see it a thousand times and still think the same.
    GolfMap

Member Club Pro

Could say the same for 95% of courses in Queensland

Could say the same for 95% of courses in Queensland
    Lol, wut?
    GolfMap

Member Club Pro

Speaking of random courses.

If you want the ability to hit every type of transport in Melbourne in a round, play Royal Park, can hit a Train, Tram, Bus, Car, Cyclist & Pedestrian and as a added bonus you could also launch one into the Zoo.

A fourth is in the works.

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jocker View Post
    A fourth is in the works.
    o rly?

Archi?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I don't think some of you are being realistic in saying that one would travel all of the way to play King Island and not play both courses. WBennett's scenario is much more realistic, and has me sold. Can I squeeze in a round at King Island too?
    I would easily go to King Island to play Cape Wickham on repeat. IMHO, it's the best course I've played in Australia, and miles better than Ocean Dunes. If you do need a little extra, 9 holes at KIGC is worth squeezing in.

You can and should do both. Ocean Dunes is 5 minutes from the airport - and despite the bagging it gets here from a few, its still amazing - just not as good as its island neighbour!
    Ocean Dunes isn't terrible. The coastal stretch is what saves it from being a massive disappointment. If it was in Queensland, I'd say a must play. But it's big brother totally eclipses it, and why I will never miss a potential round at CW to play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Ocean Dunes isn't terrible. The coastal stretch is what saves it from being a massive disappointment. If it was in Queensland, I'd say a must play. But it's big brother totally eclipses it, and why I will never miss a potential round at CW to play it again.
    I wouldn't go to KI and not play it. But it would be a 7/2OD/1 split of the three on the island, with Currie getting a gig because the view for dinner at sunset eating fresh crayfish is up there in the best in the country!

Chopperlink

WITB

Now we're in my wheelhouse, piss off all those other stupid links tracks and just hit the absolutely pure golden goodness that is the Melbourne Sandbelt.

My order is:
    1. RM West - Absolutely must do. If you come to Melbourne and don't play it I will hunt you down and berate you and make sure you regret it for the rest of your life.
    2. Metro - Probably a controversial call amongst most, but I think the architecture here is exquisite, just a shame it's let down by 2 holes (9 and 10, you'll see why when you get there). The way the bunkers are cut into the greens is a thing of beauty.
    3. Peninsula North - Haven't played it since its reno, but it was great before then, can only imagine double digit millions of dollars has made it amazing.
    4. Victoria - A fantastic track, you MUST have a go at the greens on 1 and 15 if you're only playing it once. Great course throughout, just let down by a lack of a "signature hole".
    5. RM East - C'mon, it's the shitty little brother, but it's STILL Royal Melbourne.
    6. Peninsula South - Was my favourite of the two courses pre-reno, but has always been viewed as the lesser of the two tracks.
    7. Kingston Heath - Another controversial call, but it underwhelms for me. I even find its "signature hole" fairly meh.
    8. Yarra Yarra - Was once regarded as one of the premium Melbourne tracks (and one of my favourites), but it slipped down the rankings without so much as a whimper. Has had renos recently and is reportedly getting back to its glory days.
    9. Commonwealth - A solid, yet slightly unremarkable track, it's good / great, but you'd be a fool to play it ahead of any of the others. Exceeeeppppttttt......
    10. Huntingdale - Don't go anywhere near this piece of dogshit. If ever a course has run off its reputation for far too long, it's this one.

If you're after a little relief on the wallet, other suggestions in the area include Spring Valley and Woodlands. Both would be on the same level as Commonwealth, maybe slightly better.

If you're an absolute sadomasochist, head down to Long Island. I've never had a course that looks no tougher than any other so consistently and repeatedly kick my arse.
    This is a very good bunch of recommendations too. Melbourne Sandbelt is off the charts good. Except I would say play Kingston Heath at 2 or 3.

Chopperlink

WITB

Member Club Pro

This is a very good bunch of recommendations too. Melbourne Sandbelt is off the charts good. Except I would say play Kingston Heath at 2 or 3.
    Agreed, I'd probably have Woodlands ahead of Comm and Huntingdale

o rly?

Archi?
    C&C

To be known as Barnbougle Private, or something like that.

Blog Entries

The thing about King Island is that 2 days out of 5 you can hardly stand up for the wind/weather. Barny can blow but its still playable in a 5 club wind!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Agreed, I'd probably have Woodlands ahead of Comm and Huntingdale
    and commonwealth will be balls up in the midst of getting Doaked by April

there’s better non golf things to do in Melbourne than playing huntingdale
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Quote Originally Posted by jocker View Post
    C&C

To be known as Barnbougle Private, or something like that.
    Is that on the sand dunes east of Lost Farm? Our caddie took us up there and suggested that was where the next one would be

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Of course it is. A short bloke is still a bloke isn’t he (asking for a regular playing partner of yours…)?
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I would put Metro above Vic, but that may not be the common opinion.

If I had 6 days to smash out some courses around Melbourne I'd be looking at something like this (ignoring price/ access):

1. RM West
    2. PK North
    3. KH
    4. Metro
    5. St Andrews Beach (Mornington Peninsula)
    6. National Gunnamatta (Mornington Peninsula)

If wife/ time permits, you could easily turn the Peninsula days into 36 hole affairs and add The Dunes and Moonah Legends.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Just read some more posts...

I agree with Lefty about Spring Valley & Woodlands being underrated tracks. But there are bigger fish to fry before they enter the equation.

Barny is great and by all reports Cape Wickham is off the charts (I'll get there one day soon!), but they are links(y) courses more akin to Mornington Peninsula than anything like what you'll find on the sandbelt.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Blog Entries

Vic is amazing now. If u haven’t played it in the last 3 years…it is much improved.
    Metro is always superb condition but unchanged as a golf course pretty much!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Metro over KH every day of the week

Thread Information