Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default WDYSTM - June 2022

Even though WBennett could have started a new monthly thread, I'm glad to have the pleasure of the first official post in June for two reasons.

Firstly, because we played for the first time in a fortnight, and secondly, because I scored well, with 36 points.

I may have posted anyway, to mark the historical day of my first round in double figures for 8 years. Hopefully, I have done enough to stay in single figures for a few rounds at least, until I surrender to the inevitable.

It'll probably be inevitable, because I didn't actually strike the ball very well, but I had my best putting round for years.

With some good weather and strong winds to provide a drying effect, we should be back to regular play. It was still swampy in the spots that don't get much sun, and the rough is so deep that an announcement was made suggesting a provisional is hit every time you stray off the fairway. But it was nice to be out on the course again.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Even though WBennett could have started a new monthly thread
    Or a moderator could have moved the post to a new thread.....

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

16 over for me today on the monthly medal. Still very wet. I’m pretty happy with the result as I lost 3 balls (blaming the conditions). Putting was on today 25 for the round, 1 chip in from beside the green

Our monthly medal got pushed back to next Saturday and now I can't play it, but had a hit today. It started better than last week's efforts, with 17 points after 9, but everything went to shit on the back and I crawled home with 9 points. I lost 2 balls, one in the middle of the fairway on 14, can only assume it plugged in the soft ground, the other was a legitimate OOB into the police academy on 17. Finished in near darkness, I thought a double bogey on the last wasn't a bad effort considering I couldn't even see my first 3 shots.
    Back again tomorrow but teeing off 2 hours earlier so hopefully I can play better for the whole round this time.

Matchplay qualifying for me today.
    Had 86/71 to secure 8th spot in the A Grade matchplay. All matches are off the stick. Playing the number 1 seed should be interesting…

First comp game since end of April. Couldn’t remember how to swing a club on the first 9. Got it together for the back nine.

Have my first round of pennant tomorrow at home. I won’t be giving any putts tomorrow if the wind comes back like it did today!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    Matchplay qualifying for me today.
    Had 86/71 to secure 8th spot in the A Grade matchplay. All matches are off the stick. Playing the number 1 seed should be interesting…

First comp game since end of April. Couldn’t remember how to swing a club on the first 9. Got it together for the back nine.

Have my first round of pennant tomorrow at home. I won’t be giving any putts tomorrow if the wind comes back like it did today!

Congrats Sharon, and good luck, got one positive story for you.

I qualified like you last in the round of 16 draw, the bloke I was playing told me on the first tee that he would have to change his flight when he made the final, no drama champ, when you lose 6/4 to me you can get the flight.

Had a 3/2 win in my pennant match today. Played pretty decent all day. I was never down after winning the first two holes.

Team squared the match. Disappointing considering we were at home.

Bought some nice new Z Stars from Dazza, changed back to an old mallet putter (Odyssey Teron) and shot 77 for 42 points (my best score off the stick that I can recall for a long time!). Thanks Dazza.

Senior Member Major Winner

Played at Cooly Tweed River Course today. Hit probably the best I have for 18 months, managing to hit 12 greens.

Unfortunately, they had the varistimp on today, random half being fast, random half being slow. First time I have had more than 2 3jags in a round, with 6 of them.

17/15 32pts playing off 7

First hit for a month, +6 net in a soggy monthly medal

28 points at Oxley yesterday. Tee shots and putting were reasonable, but I don't have a lot of confidence hitting irons off the soft ground and half bladed a number of them. On a positive note the radar and distance control was on point with my wedges from 100 in. My handicap hasn't really been affected by the substandard scoring these past couple of weeks, only moving out by 0.2. Social club game coming up on Sunday, back at Oxley next weekend so hopefully it's had a chance to dry out and firm up a bit more by then.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Couple of rounds at Tully, for an 80 and a 75 off the bat. Hit the ball well off the tee, just a couple of doubles in the 80 ruined a good score as well. Course condition was the best I have struck so far at Tully, actually some run in the fairways and the greens rolled pretty good.

Sneaked in a 9 hole practice round today, front 9 at Oxley. Didn't go too bad considering no warm-up, 40 (+6), a couple of silly doubles from short game mistakes but otherwise I was reasonably happy with it. 4/6 fairways, 3 greens. I feel like I'm getting back to where I was before the crappy weather forced break.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

33 points in the cold and wind today. Missed 4 four footers, made 3 over 15 foot so it pretty much evened out. Happy with how I hit it, just not the short putts.

Back out to 6.0, which gets me a shot for the matchplay 4th round match this weekend. It will be needed, I am now only giving 12...

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Stableford @ Balaklava

Compass was busted on the driver sending the ball wider than I had ever been when previously a member on a few holes.
    Like magic my old short game had come back to me on the day and I was able to make a heap of pars making the score much better than how I hit it.
    Stumbled home with 1-0-1-3pts to finish with 33pts which was enough for 2nd in A-Grade.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Handicap matchplay. Had to give 14 shots.

Was 4 up after 5, being one under off the stick, but he didn't give up and we were square after 15.

I parted 16 to go one up, rolled in a solid 10 footer on 17 to halve it, then halved 18 after being in huge trouble off the tee.

Now into Semis. Woo

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Played at wolston park today in my social club. Started terribly over the first couple of holes being frozen stiff, made par on the 3rd then lost a ball in the soft ground on the next hole. Sort of got it together a bit more for the rest of the 9 but posted 48 at the turn. The back 9 was going along a lot better, was +2 for the 9 when we got to the 17th, but 4 putted on that crazy green for a 7, finished with a bogey for 38, and 86/69* overall. Also played a match play against a mate, gave him one shot but won in the end 5&3.

Then we got to the car and I'd lost my bloody key, must have fallen out in the cart (I normally walk so things don't tend to fall out of trouser pockets) went back out to have a look but no idea where it'd been lost so not much chance of finding it. Someone later found it on 17 and handed it in so I got it back at least.

*I'd have been off 10 on my GA, I must play all my crap rounds in this club since they've got me off 17.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - June 2022

12/06/2022, Wolston Park GC, White Tees, Social 10 holes (1-9, 13).

PPbXBPBBB P; 44 (+6)

I was also at Wolston today, for a social hit with a mate, to ease myself back in after a break. The break was only three weeks, but it feels like longer. Maybe because, I have been playing nearly every weekend, plus some form of practice during the week.

Started off by bombing my first two drives, and rolling in a putt on the 3rd to be one under. Easy game! Unlike Kelsey86, I did not lose my ball on the fourth, because I found my drive a metre or so out of bounds (soft ground on the highest hole of the course, Kelsey? Near the green?). Triple bogey. Easy game! Bogeys with a couple of pars from then on, with iron shots that became annoying left misses. The greens have also become super fast after all this wetness from the sky; very hard to adjust to.

Yeah, just to the right of the green, I hit a pitching wedge in from the fairway and it drifted right. Went back and hit another one, this time properly and wound up with bogey.
    I found it difficult adjusting to the green speed as well, every other time I've played there they've been slower than I usually play on, so that was different.

27hole Open Championship Ambrose Sunday
    Had great day with breakfast before start, food after each nine and at the end. Booze cart was doing the rounds of the course keeping everyone lubricated.
    Team consisted of the following Hcp's 7,8,11 and 18 so we were going to be pushing it up hill competing against some of the strong teams with scratch and low singles players for the gross (Main Prize).
    Over the course of the day we combined well from tee to green and all holed our fair share of putts beyond 10 foot. With what we holed for birdies it was strange we all missed the shortest one we had all day (3 lip outs from 8 foot)
    We ended up 14 under for the 27 holes which I thought was a great result for us and only 5 behind the winners on 19 under.
    We were good enough to take out best nett for the day.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Hard to come back from +4 after 3 holes, when playing off 2. Lack of practice is killing my game. Frustrating, as I've been really good off the tee - but I guess short iron distance & direction control needs practice to maintain. Chipping and putting has help up pretty well considering.

BXBPXPBBb-bPPPPXPPBP 79/29pts

Delightful conditions in the first group out today. Heavy frost, real feel of minus 8 allegedly... No wind, so it was short sleeves by the third tee.

Greens were frozen solid until the sun rose - a nice PW into 2 bounced like it hit concrete and spat me 20m out the back of the green.

15/16 - 5 3 pointers, 3 wipes, and a ton of ones. No birdies but putting on ice which gathers on the ball and generates a bias is "challenging"

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Delightful conditions in the first group out today. Heavy frost, real feel of minus 8 allegedly... No wind, so it was short sleeves by the third tee.

Greens were frozen solid until the sun rose - a nice PW into 2 bounced like it hit concrete and spat me 20m out the back of the green.

15/16 - 5 3 pointers, 3 wipes, and a ton of ones. No birdies but putting on ice which gathers on the ball and generates a bias is "challenging"
    Oh, how I miss playing in those conditions....not!

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Oh, how I miss playing in those conditions....not!
    To be honest. I prefer it to 32 degrees and 100% humidity. You can keep taking layers off in winter. I run out of appropriate layers to remove in the heat!

Chopperlink

WITB

My first round worth recording for a few weeks, for 35 points off 10. I think my last few rounds have all been 31 or 32.

Today could have been the same, but instead of having a late choke I actually got up and down for pars instead of chunking chips and 3-putting. I still did a few of those, though.

More importantly, a few weeks of good weather and we have a golf course worth playing again. No more drive/3 wood and still short on 350m par 4's, thankfully.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Thread Information