Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    My first round worth recording for a few weeks, for 35 points off 10. I think my last few rounds have all been 31 or 32.

Today could have been the same, but instead of having a late choke I actually got up and down for pars instead of chunking chips and 3-putting. I still did a few of those, though.

More importantly, a few weeks of good weather and we have a golf course worth playing again. No more drive/3 wood and still short on 350m par 4's, thankfully.
    Has it fully dried yet Jim? I am busting to give it a go, but am home for a couple of weekends yet. Figure it should be primo by then.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

First game for 6 weeks.
    34 points on a wet and soggy course.

Tees well forward, and with 5 holes to play, leaked far too many shots, with 2 wipes and a 1 pointer.

Pretty good all things considered
    Last edited by chappy1970; 16th June 2022 at 03:13 PM.
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Bushy and I played in the Cairns GC Foursomes Championship on Sunday, shooting 78 & 77, double bogeying the 16th both times around. Good enough for runners-up in the Gross and the Nett. I quite like the format as it's challenging to find a rhythm only hitting every second shot.

We played...... interestingly. Wouldn't have said either of us struck the ball overly well. Solid, but unspectacular. By **** did we make some putts though. We both made a couple of 30-footers each as well as some good 10, 15 & 20 footers, and I dropped a bomb on the 2nd in the arvo that I'll estimate at 45 feet, but could easily have been closer to 60.

Brutal game for what you can do to your partner and their previously spectacular shots though. Bushy hit a bomb down 9, must have been 270... I had 180 in to a tucked left front flag, so 5 iron in hand.

We quickly discussed how much room there was right of the flag and that was the only place to miss it. Proceed to me hitting the ****ing rankest shot you'll ever see, a 15m block that missed grooves and landed in the bunker close to the front lip, 30m short of the flag. This was one of the 30-footers for par that was made after I also ****ed up the Texas Wedge. Good hole.

To be fair, Bushy paid me back about 3 hours later when I hit my drive to a similar spot and he missed pin high left also. Good times.

We also played in the same group as the Gross (and also Nett) winners, a pair of 2 markers (though both have played off +'s in the past) and their 69, with a double bogey mind you, in the arvo was one of the best rounds of golf I've ever seen. To shoot that in that format was outstanding to watch.
    Attached Images
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Well done. Good darts
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

36 points at Half Moon Bay (20 / 16). My swing felt the best it has in a while and only two bad holes half way through the back 9 prevented me from shooting under my cap. Hopefully I can keep the same swing feeling going next time I play.

34 points at a much better condition Oxley today. I couldn't get the wood going well off the tee, kept hitting big high draws for some reason. Didn't hit a single fairway on the front 9 but turned at +4 for 20 points which included a couple of 4 point birdies, one of them from the middle of the trees. Didn't fare so well on the back 9 but did enough to keep it respectable.

4 fairways, 2 greens, 28 putts.

34 with a wipe, 5 x 1s and a birdie.

7 eleven coffee into the thermos on the way might be the best idea I’ve ever had.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - June 2022

19/06/2022, Wolston Park GC, Blue Tees (Scr 65 Sl 107 Par 67), Stableford.

BPbPBXBBP BPBPPPPPB; 40:35:75 (+5:+3:+8)
    Played to 10.6. Golflink: 8.6 (+0.0).

Quite happy with how I played yesterday, although as usual my iron approaches limit my scoring potential.

Three great drives in the first four holes for even par. It turned to pull hooks in the middle, including one in the hazard, and the scoring followed with it. Two big bombs, for me, on the last two, to leave me with some confidence with the big stick.

Putting was good, and more importantly, I felt really solid in my routine and stroke. There were a couple of forgiveable 3-putts, but I hope the putter continues with that feel.

Irons, meh. I can't hit a green from 100m out with a full swing regularly, but I can hit two punch runners under trees within a few metres of the pin, and hit a full 3 iron dead straight. Go me! I might head to the range this week to see if it is a problem just for the full swing; maybe a reduced swing will go alright.

Reasonable round at Brookwater yesterday, generally better short irons & wedges.

PBPPBXPPP-PXPBBXPbP 79/33pts

Great sand save on 3 after a horrible wedge into the bunker from 100m. Lost ball on 6 off the tee - thought it was just in the left rough, but couldn't find it
    Really nice 5i picked up the NTP on 7 (105cm) - but missed the putt. I don't want to say the "y" word - but missed a couple of short-ish putts with questionable (wristy) strokes.

Generally an improvement from Wednesday though, which is good. Playing at Brookwater has really forced me to tighten up my game off the tee - although off the yellows (6100m) I'm only hitting driver 3 times. Forced me to get better with my 3w and driving iron - I've been hitting the ZX utility really well off the tee since re-shafting it.
    Last edited by BobsYourUncle; 19th June 2022 at 11:04 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Par comp today

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

A bit of an improvement today, game has been trending upwards.

bBPBPbBPP-PPPPBPPPP 72 (+2) / 37pts

2 3-putts on the front, and missed 6-8 foot birdie putts on 10 and 16. Sunk some good putts too though, like the birdies on 1 and 7.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Tore up my meniscus on Sunday. Could barely put any weight on my knee, but had the semi of matchplay today.Five down after seven, opponent had 21 points after 9.Fought back, but rolled 2 and 1, on track for 20 on the back.2nd consecutive year knocked out in the semis. Maybe next year
    Last edited by WBennett; 22nd June 2022 at 04:53 PM.

Played another par comp on Tuesday, this time -1.

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Tore up my meniscus on Sunday. Could barely put any weight on my knee, but had the semi of matchplay today.Five down after seven, opponent had 21 points after 9.Fought back, but rolled 2 and 1, on track for 20 on the back.2nd consecutive year knocked out in the semis. Maybe next year
    Bad luck on both, knee and being knocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Bad luck on both, knee and being knocked out. Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Tore it playing footy a decade or more ago. Tore it again last year, went thru some rehab, got it good enough.It went again the other day. Guess it's time to see the surgeon.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Lowood cup with a few of the Qld OzGolfers. Bit of a choke at the end but sunk an ~6 foot par putt on 18 to hold on for my first ever under-par round.

PPBPPPbbB-PPPPbPbBP 71/70

Was tied for the (gross) lead when we left, but a few low markers still out on the course. First time at Lowood, the course exceeded my expectations, fairways in particular were mint. I was a bit concerned when I saw there were no preferred lies, but we didn't need them - I had no bad lies, and only 1 mud ball.
    Last edited by BobsYourUncle; 25th June 2022 at 01:19 PM.

No penalties, no lost balls and I very nearly raised the bat at Lowood. 97/88.

Played a 4BBB today at Oxley. As a team we shot nett 65, but I played like absolute arse. Just out of sorts for whatever reason, swing was erratic, kept pushing and pulling putts, short game was as bad as a 36 handicapper. Hopefully I've got that out of my system now and can have a better time tomorrow at Maleny.

9 holes before rain saw us in the bar. I had 17points, 2 over and was feeling good.

Just ordered my pick up because I am feeling better. Long live the 19th

I did go a bit better today. A bit erratic off the tee but since Maleny doesn't have a lot of trees, it didn't affect me too much apart from when I decided to play hide and seek in that long rough. I ended up with 37 points off the social club handicap of 17, but for my own purposes I recorded it off my proper handicap of 13, which somehow resulted in 34 points 🤔.
    Couple of highlights were a birdie on the 2nd after deliberately hitting a pitch past the pin to let it roll back down, and five pars in a row from 12-16. I putted much better than the first time I went there (41), this time 32 putts. Enjoyable day overall, I like going up there and playing something different to the standard tree lined courses around Brisbane.

Took the Righty cap out for it's first run on Saturday, just a regular Stableford comp. Started the day off well, nuking a drive down the first 265m. Shame about the 3-putt...

4 x 2-pointers to start the day, an unlucky penalty on 5 catching the cart path but still nabbing a point, and another 2 pointer on 6 (another 3-putt... ) garnered me 11 points through 6 holes, not horrendous. The wheels fell off from there. Struggled with short game (no surprises there), throw in a few three-putts, chunked or flared 3/4 wedges and flop shots and the chance to convincingly break 90 slipped through the fingers, finishing with 91 off the bat for 29 points. Hit some great shots, some mediocre shots and a few very ****ing ordinary ones.

4 Pars
    9 Bogeys
    4 Double Bogeys
    1 ****ing Other

6 / 14 Fairways
    7 / 18 GIR
    6 / 17 Up 'n' Downs (lots of double chips, FFS)
    34 Putts

Handicap moves from 13.2 to 14.2.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    I found it difficult adjusting to the green speed as well, every other time I've played there they've been slower than I usually play on, so that was different.
    I found out a week ago that the club now has a roller, and I also saw it in action today. The greens look a bit dead now, but they roll so much faster than before, but they do roll true. I like it for putts within a few metres, but I'm struggling for anything longer. And it has made it even more important to not short side yourself when missing a green, as it is very hard to get up and down.

16/16 around Coffs Harbour Westlake course.

In a strong wind, I was a cluub short on almost every approach, never missed so many greens with 50 or 56 in hand. Short was better than long most of the time.

Fun track, played with a great bunch of retirees including Tony Webecks dad Cliff.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I found out a week ago that the club now has a roller, and I also saw it in action today. The greens look a bit dead now, but they roll so much faster than before, but they do roll true. I like it for putts within a few metres, but I'm struggling for anything longer. And it has made it even more important to not short side yourself when missing a green, as it is very hard to get up and down.
    That makes sense. I rather enjoyed the change as I'm not a fan of slow greens, the speed wasn't much different to what I'm used to at Oxley so it shouldn't have been too hard to get it, but I guess I expected the slower speed I've found there in the past. We used to have a roller at Oxley when I worked there back in the day, not sure if they still have it. It moved sideways to the direction you sat on it, was rather fun zooming across the dewy greens in the early morning 😅

25/06/2022, Lowood GC, Blue Tees (Scr 69 Sl 110 Par 72), Lowood Cup - Stroke.

BbBPBPbPB XPPPPBPXP; 38:41:79 (+2:+5:+7)
    Played to 10.3. Golflink: 9.2 (+0.6).

Nice score, but it could easily have been better. Driver was a inconsistent, and I don't think I went after it enough. With the exception of a couple of shots, the irons were off until I made a slight change on the second nine; it was the same change that I had made during a practice hit on Thursday, so I must have slipped back.

I'd like three shots over again, as they were complete wastes. The thin and long approach on the 9th with wedge in hand, when the round had momentum. The heeled scrubby drive on 10 that went into the hazard, leading to the shot out of the water. And the shank with a 40m approach on the 17th, where I over thought the shot, instead of just getting it on the green.

Glimpses of the good stuff, but just not putting it altogether yet.
    Last edited by AndyP; 30th June 2022 at 01:06 PM.

Thread Information