+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Thread: LIV Golf

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Which one are you?

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Indeed thats true, as I dont think the PGATour is taking an ethical stand, to them its always about protecting their brand, they have also been that way. so they are not being hypocrites.

If a chunk of players go elsewhere, their sponsorship and attendance decreases. Deane Beman famously did this same thing to the Seve in the 80's and probably others (but he was the big fish) the end result Seve stayed away and the Euro tour eventually ended up no longer being a feeder tour to the USA.

Exactly and keyboard warriors using their chinese made products to call out human rights issues is just as laughable.
    I agree in part that the tour is trying to protect their brand. Their brand is the top golf tour in the world. But that's still supported financially by large companies who by their own virtue, and how the world works, can't be squeaky clean. So although the tour itself may be able to stand on a high horse of sorts, being financially backed by companies, say FedEx, who happily trade and invest in Saudi Arabia, seems a bit hypocritical. But that's how the world works right.

Their argument (from Jay ) seems now that they can't compete with the money of Liv as the main point. And clearly they can't. But as long as people watch and support it, it'll be fine right? Surely companies and tv stations and the like will put the $$ last and support true not for profit organisations first......

Or when it comes to it, they'll choose the $$ like the players and it'll just be what it is.

But like always, I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death someone's right to say it.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Major Winner

Has the PGA Tour ever mentioned the dismembering enthusiasts or has all that come from their supporters?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

A lot of Americans remember the Khashoggi murder but forget rendition, Abu Ghraib, Gitmo, etc... and while wearing clothes and using products made in a country actively engaging in genocide. The Saudi regime has a lot going against it, but every country has dark secrets (and often not-so-secrets).

Personally I think the PGA Tour is the better product at the moment, but who knows what the future will bring.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Which one are you?
    Not sure.
    Which one are you?received_397090972348340.jpg

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Euro tour has fined their members 100,000 pounds.

Which is less than minimum prize money.

https://www.europeantour.com/dpworld...ber-sanctions/

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

LIV will come to Australia in season 2.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Not sure.Which one are you?Attachment 55830Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
    Do you have any original content or thought?

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Euro tour has fined their members 100,000 pounds.

Which is less than minimum prize money.

https://www.europeantour.com/dpworld...ber-sanctions/
    The Euro Tour had to pick a side, and now they have done so.

It's quite clever actually. They can't ban Tour members. so they fine them a symbolic amount. Assuming they don'y pay it, then they can ban them.

The event on right now, the BMW, is also interesting. Sergio, Louis O and Wiesburger would normally be star attractions. They have been grouped together, and the TV coverage hasn't been showing them. It seems a message is being sent.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I am just watching the Traveler's this morning and was much bemused to see they are still running their Race for the FedEx Cup ad, which features a number of now LIV defectors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Do you have any original content or thought?
    FB_IMG_1656108806821.jpg

Or is it just monkey see monkey do?

Did the DP world tour only ban them from the co sanctioned events with the PGA tour? Or have they banned them from all future events? Haven't dived into it enough.

Apparently Brooks has ripped into the media again at the LIV press conferwnce this time.

Watched a bit of the LIV this morning and thought it was boring. But then again I remember all golf on TV is boring until the last 9 holes or so.

Its a shame they couldnt get Brandel on to do the post round sum up. That would be good.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

The boomers play China and no one bats an eye.

Dont mention china, thats racist.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Will say (if I haven't already) that the 15 minute Liv highlights are 10000% better than the PGA tour's 3 minute highlights.

In the world of catch up sport, I love the kayo minis and quick catch ups, but 3 minutes is useless.

15/30 minute highlights is enough to catch up with at least seeing some of the action, not just the leaders 7 shots.

Their media has always sucked. I thought they might respond a bit better. But again the PGA tour don't surprise me as to how archaic they are.

Is the Saudi regime bad? Yes
    Is sportswashing bad? Also yes.

But if you’re looking for shining beacons of morality, pro sports ain’t the place. And pro golf definitely ain’t the place. See RBC/Aramco, Seth Waugh/Deutsche etc or any number of examples, nevermind any scrutiny of pro golf’s historical relationship with race.

And for the same reason the rest of the world works with the Saudis, sometimes your enemy’s enemy is your friend. If you’re a fan of and consumer of pro golf then the PGA tour is your enemy. They fundamentally don’t give a **** about you and their product sucks. For that alone I’m cool with LIV.

It’s the most interesting thing to happen to pro golf in my lifetime and by disrupting the PGA Tour’s hegemony over pro golf they’re of huge benefit. Hopefully they force the tour to radically change, ideally by embracing the PGL, so we end up with a better product as consumers by the time the Saudi’s get sick of lighting billions on fire for washed up golfers and Greg’s revenge tour.

One analogy is cricket.

LIV is T20. It’s disruptive, short, colorful, entertaining and largely meaningless.
    The majors are test cricket. The only form that actually matters.
    The PGA tour are ODI. Used to be good, now no one cares. And aside from a small minority of events, ie players (sorry, THE PLAYERS), Riv etc (analogous to the ODI World Cup maybe), no one would ever know if they’re being played or not.

And possibly the best thing about LIV is how much Brandel hates them. Hahaha

Anyway, rant over. Long live our new petrodollar fueled overlords….
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

LIV is World Series Cricket too!

Read somwthing today that the Saudis will expect LIV to pay for itself af least. I have no idea where its expected to get revenue from. I *think* Norman was given 2 Billion to spend on players. Cant see too many sponsors coming on board, the big corporarates are too interested in emulating Disney.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Is the Saudi regime bad? Yes
    Is sportswashing bad? Also yes.

But if you’re looking for shining beacons of morality, pro sports ain’t the place. And pro golf definitely ain’t the place. See RBC/Aramco, Seth Waugh/Deutsche etc or any number of examples, nevermind any scrutiny of pro golf’s historical relationship with race.

And for the same reason the rest of the world works with the Saudis, sometimes your enemy’s enemy is your friend. If you’re a fan of and consumer of pro golf then the PGA tour is your enemy. They fundamentally don’t give a **** about you and their product sucks. For that alone I’m cool with LIV.

It’s the most interesting thing to happen to pro golf in my lifetime and by disrupting the PGA Tour’s hegemony over pro golf they’re of huge benefit. Hopefully they force the tour to radically change, ideally by embracing the PGL, so we end up with a better product as consumers by the time the Saudi’s get sick of lighting billions on fire for washed up golfers and Greg’s revenge tour.

One analogy is cricket.

LIV is T20. It’s disruptive, short, colorful, entertaining and largely meaningless.
    The majors are test cricket. The only form that actually matters.
    The PGA tour are ODI. Used to be good, now no one cares. And aside from a small minority of events, ie players (sorry, THE PLAYERS), Riv etc (analogous to the ODI World Cup maybe), no one would ever know if they’re being played or not.

And possibly the best thing about LIV is how much Brandel hates them. Hahaha

Anyway, rant over. Long live our new petrodollar fueled overlords….
    I’m with you.

There are 150 playing the John Deere this week.
    70 of them will get paid and probably 50 of those will make more money this week than any other week during the year.

That’s the PGA Tour’s job. I don’t know why anyone expected anything else (other than handing out more money to the best 10 or 20).

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    LIV is World Series Cricket too!

Read somwthing today that the Saudis will expect LIV to pay for itself af least. I have no idea where its expected to get revenue from. I *think* Norman was given 2 Billion to spend on players. Cant see too many sponsors coming on board, the big corporarates are too interested in emulating Disney.
    No sponsors as no real TV coverage so can’t see any corporates putting money into it.

Maybe Gazprom or Sberbank as they wouldn’t care about bad PR.
    Last edited by pt73; 2nd July 2022 at 09:51 AM.

DP World Tour response to threat of legal action by LIV players.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/kei...lf-open-letter

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I watched a fair bit of the LIV event over the first two days. The coverage wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, apart from some interesting commentary promoting the event.

It’s easily the highest quality event this week and likely to improve.

Welcome to the brave new world.
    Forum needs more banter.

Thread Information