Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Thread: LIV Golf

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I wonder which PR hack wrote that for him.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/tou...f-to-ryder-cup

Gooch is more of a Riyadh Cup guy.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    LOL, I'll pay that one.
    Last edited by pt73; 4th July 2022 at 12:55 PM.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I've been waiting for the enthusiastic praise from the LIV fans after the tournament in Portland, but there is silence.

I watched the last round last night, and I was expecting to not like it, and to be arguing with the fans today.

To my surprise, it was pretty good.

The commentary was terrible, and I pressed the mute button after the embarrassing interview with Paul Casey. Talk about 'you are free to do and say as we tell you'. Money changes peoples minds, for sure.

But they seem to have learned from the first one. The coverage concentrated on the leaders, and it was good. It helped that the contenders were all in the last group, but the quality of the golf was very good, and the main players all seemed to want to win rather than go through the motions. The crowds were good, making for some genuine atmosphere.

I still think it is a bit like an Amway meeting, where the message is to get the money early, then get out before the whole thing collapses. But, as golf entertainment goes, it was worth watching.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Agree totally.

It may not be for everybody as I’m a golf nut and will watch all the tour events and highlights each afternoon.

Something different and NO COMMERCIALS!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

New courses, not on the PGA and European Tour rotas is something fresh, as is a simultaneous team event. Hopefully they can continue to refine the formula and pressure the current "boys clubs" to lift their games. The PGA Tour has screwed over the other tours for years. Hopefully the Aussie Tour can benefit from the fracas. On the negative, there seems to be lots of Trump courses on their initial schedule.
    Last edited by Daves; 4th July 2022 at 08:09 PM.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Isn't the no commercials due to a lack of a TV deal anywhere?

Is a commercial TV deal part of the plan or is YouTube the future of televised golf?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post

Is a commercial TV deal part of the plan or is YouTube the future of televised golf?
    I read they tried to sell the TV rights but got no interest then offered them for free with the same result.

You would think TV would be part of their plan but with NBC & CBS plus their affiliates tied into deals with the PGA Tour that doesn’t leave many serious options.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

https://www.golfaustralia.com.au/feature/morri-a-revolution-that-smacks-of-sameness-582166 .Good observational article by Rod Morri.
    Last edited by Daves; 6th July 2022 at 03:31 PM.

Underrated comment.

The four (Branden Grace joined) that took legal action were drawn to play together in 2 two-balls.

Poulter didn’t fare too well.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/wo...6adbc5fc71561d

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Perhaps more interestingly, they were drawn first group of the morning and first group of the afternoon, not exactly prime time.
    It'll be interesting to see the reaction if Harding is still in contention later on.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Perhaps more interestingly, they were drawn first group of the morning and first group of the afternoon, not exactly prime time.
    It'll be interesting to see the reaction if Harding is still in contention later on.
    The wind is already up so it’ll be tough going for all.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post

To be honest, I steam all golf at the moment via kayo etc so YouTube felt the same. If they can do no / less ads than PGA, then even better.

Sounds like commercial load on PGA tour broadcasts is insane. I know they pay for it that way, but, surely there are better ways to do it now with steaming / subscriptions etc

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    To be honest, I steam all golf at the moment via kayo etc so YouTube felt the same. If they can do no / less ads than PGA, then even better.

Sounds like commercial load on PGA tour broadcasts is insane. I know they pay for it that way, but, surely there are better ways to do it now with steaming / subscriptions etc

NBC already uses their streaming service Peacock and Golf TV is also streaming which has the rights to all WGC events.

Golf TV is part of Discovery (Warner Bros), in 2018 Discovery Inc. and the PGA Tour agreed to a US$2 billion, 12-year deal for its media rights outside of the United States.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Pretty petty move really.

I think there is more eyes on GN and LIV now than if they just let him go to it all and tell him to redirect any massive LIV stuff until the following week out of courtesy. Could he do that I wonder? Or maybe the media could give it a rest for a week.

Interesting line in the sand now and how the masters may react.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Pretty petty move really.
    Not surprised but their statement/excuse to justify it is petty, and makes them look childish. And surely past champions were invited a year ago or so.. the R&A surely not sending out invites 1 week before.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Not surprised but their statement/excuse to justify it is petty, and makes them look childish. And surely past champions were invited a year ago or so.. the R&A surely not sending out invites 1 week before.
    Maybe they weren’t convinced he could keep his mouth shut about LIV or end up in arguments with some of the other champions.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Good decision by the R&A.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    Maybe they weren’t convinced he could keep his mouth shut about LIV or end up in arguments with some of the other champions.
    Does anyone in the world not think he would have used it as an opportunity to publicise LIV?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    Does anyone in the world not think he would have used it as an opportunity to publicise LIV?
    Maybe. But regardless, he’s earned his place. It’s a champions dinner and he’s a 2x champion. This is a bitch move by sherry soaked toffs of the R&A.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Major Winner

Maybe. But regardless, he’s earned his place. It’s a champions dinner and he’s a 2x champion. This is a bitch move by sherry soaked toffs of the R&A.
    Either he goes and hijacks it or he doesn’t because the R&A are bitches and I fully support both outcomes as long as Norman responds publicly to the latter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I would have let Norman go but sat him on a table for two with Gary Player. Karma Sharky.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Greg Norman only gives a shit about Greg Norman.

Nice work R&A

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Thread Information