Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 ... LastLast

Thread: LIV Golf

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    There aren't many genuinely good "tournament venues" that can provide the golf and spectator quality and the logistics for an event like this. And also be bold enough to host it.

I would have thought The Australian would be the pick. There's nothing in Queensland that ticks all the boxes.
    I doubt the Australian needs the money nor the publicity.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    I doubt the Australian needs the money nor the publicity.
    Would help them hold it for a while. When LIV becomes the no1 tour in golf, a lot of clubs will be kicking themselves for passing this opportunity up.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    I don't see how they could use Brookwater - no space for spectators.
    Based on what we can see from recent LIV tournaments, this is not going to hold back Brookwater.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Based on what we can see from recent LIV tournaments, this is not going to hold back Brookwater.
    Queenslanders are a parochial lot

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Would help them hold it for a while. When LIV becomes the no1 tour in golf, a lot of clubs will be kicking themselves for passing this opportunity up.
    Spicy

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Blog Entries

LIV will be as predictable as FIA standing by the Adelaide GP, after a more lucrative alternative was offered.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    LIV will be as predictable as FIA standing by the Adelaide GP, after a more lucrative alternative was offered.
    Not sure that really applies to LIV though. I think they will show loyalty to those that help them get this off the ground.

Isn't the whole LIV thing about NOT showing loyalty and doing it all for the money?

Quote Originally Posted by dM. View Post
    Isn't the whole LIV thing about NOT showing loyalty and doing it all for the money?
    I think the PGA Tour would hope many believe that.

Even LIV contracts have expectations that elicit a form of loyalty. But once those are met they seem to allow the players to do what they like. That in itself indicates a degree of loyalty to the players. Far more so than the PGA who expect total devotion.

I think the PGA Tour would hope many believe that.

Even LIV contracts have expectations that elicit a form of loyalty. But once those are met they seem to allow the players to do what they like. That in itself indicates a degree of loyalty to the players. Far more so than the PGA who expect total devotion.
    The FedEx Cup champion is playing in Scotland this week. A member of the successful Presidents Cup team is in the field. Doesn't sound like an expectation of total devotion to me.

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Showing your age Dotty!

But I have a feeling its going to take some monumental $ now the PGA has rejigged its product.

I still expect Matsuyama and Scott to end up in Liv for next season. Matsu might end up making $500m out of it, and Scottie gets a nice pension to finish his career. Both offer better value than Pat Perez

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    The FedEx Cup champion is playing in Scotland this week. A member of the successful Presidents Cup team is in the field. Doesn't sound like an expectation of total devotion to me.
    The PGA lists a number of "alternate events" it's devotees are allowed to attend.

Both of the events you mention are those.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-J607F using Tapatalk

Playing a Euro tour event with big Jay’s blessing and schmoozing a bunch of people who put a truck load of money into the Euro and PGA tours is hardly rebelling.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Showing your age Dotty!

But I have a feeling its going to take some monumental $ now the PGA has rejigged its product.

I still expect Matsuyama and Scott to end up in Liv for next season. Matsu might end up making $500m out of it, and Scottie gets a nice pension to finish his career. Both offer better value than Pat Perez
    I’ll disagree with Scotty.

There is nothing I hate more when watching golf than Adam Scott putt with that broomstick with the ugliest putter head in golf attached. He’s always a train wreck waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    That was my immediate thought too.

No doubt Greg Normal was promoting his own courses...
    His best mate owns it too.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Playing a Euro tour event with big Jay’s blessing and schmoozing a bunch of people who put a truck load of money into the Euro and PGA tours is hardly rebelling.
    Have to agree with this.

Again, I am hardly a fan of the Saudi regime, but the hypocrisy of the US PGA Tour has probably tipped me over to being sympathetic to the LIV guys. They have happily taken Saudi money in the past, but it is suddenly 'tainted' when it goes to someone else.

I really can't see why non-Americans, and particularly the European, Asian and Australian tours, are so fan-girl about the US tour. It has used its power to bully the rest of the world for decades, solely for its own benefit, and I am starting to quite like the disruption LIV has caused. The mere fact that the US Tour were able to miraculously give players a considerably revised product almost on the spot (after years of crying poor) shows how gullible they really view the player and supporter base.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I really can't see why non-Americans, and particularly the European, Asian and Australian tours, are so fan-girl about the US tour. It has used its power to bully the rest of the world for decades, solely for its own benefit, and I am starting to quite like the disruption LIV has caused. The mere fact that the US Tour were able to miraculously give players a considerably revised product almost on the spot (after years of crying poor) shows how gullible they really view the player and supporter base.
    I can assure you I am no fan-girl of the PGA Tour, but its obvious why it took over the world. Why would top level players come and play for a first place purse in Europe, Australia, South Africa, Japan or Asia which is a tenth of the first prize on the PGA Tour, or pays less than a top 10 in Jackson, Missouri?

Its purely a commercial decision to play for the big bucks which opens up additional opportunities.

I would much prefer the US Tour taking a 2 or 3 month hiatus, and then have events around the world, but you wouldn't see strong fields at them as they hopped around the globe - top players would take a break at the end of their long season, and make occasional appearances when incentivised by promotors. We already had holiday month in December with a bunch of nothing events, but you rarely saw an big names travel down under.

Chopperlink

WITB

I’m looking forward to the PGA Tour LXXII invitationals next year. The top of non LIV golf is going to look a lot like LIV golf. And those at the top now have set it up to keep them at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    I’m looking forward to the PGA Tour LXXII invitationals next year. The top of non LIV golf is going to look a lot like LIV golf. And those at the top now have set it up to keep them at the top.
    Do we cheer for the Wobbegongs or the Leprechauns or the Kamakazis?

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Have to agree with this.

Again, I am hardly a fan of the Saudi regime, but the hypocrisy of the US PGA Tour has probably tipped me over to being sympathetic to the LIV guys. They have happily taken Saudi money in the past, but it is suddenly 'tainted' when it goes to someone else.

So much to agree with ^.
    The US PGA have been the big bully for a while now. I like that someone's standing up and taking them on.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Hmmm, a bit quiet in here.

Where are all the fanboy comments about how great it was to see a guy we have never heard of beating a guy we don't like and a guy who should never be beating the 'top players in the world', if those top players were trying hard. Is it a coincidence that those top players didn't perform when they had to travel?

What I really want to know is whether the on-course interviewer asked Sergio whether he was happy in Thailand while the Spanish Open was being played.

In a way I'm looking forward to Saudi Arabia, just to see what happens if DJ and Cam and Brooks suddenly develop injuries and can't play.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Hmmm, a bit quiet in here.

Where are all the fanboy comments about how great it was to see a guy we have never heard of beating a guy we don't like and a guy who should never be beating the 'top players in the world', if those top players were trying hard. Is it a coincidence that those top players didn't perform when they had to travel?

What I really want to know is whether the on-course interviewer asked Sergio whether he was happy in Thailand while the Spanish Open was being played.

In a way I'm looking forward to Saudi Arabia, just to see what happens if DJ and Cam and Brooks suddenly develop injuries and can't play.
    Who said the top players didn't perform?

Did you watch any of the golf?

I watched the last few holes after the rain delay. was great to see someone so young get up, he didnt even have a little wobble, as most do in that scenario. But i dont feel the need to fawn all over it either, its not as if anyone didnt know or wasnt happy for the kid.

I also like watching Patrick Reed play. His composure after hitting into the water on 16 and getting on with the job is impressive ( for sure most elite golfers are the same.... sometimes), whereas if it was me, i would have had a 13. Actually I didnt even think Reed went into the water, his reaction to me indicated it stayed up. I still got a lot to learn about this game.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Some key ’s out of the weekend.

- A 22yo has changed his life by displaying quite brilliant golf

- Leish getting amongst it

- Fireballs winning the team event, but more importantly the team event podium going down to the last player on the last hole

- Rory McIlroy AGAIN coming out to say the PGA Tour needs to soften their stance

- Jon Rahm’s statement in his winners press conference on the DP World Tour in support for the winner of the LIV.

- No Laying Up’s Chris Solomon crying over the winner’s eligibility while continuing to d!ck ride for the PGA Tour

Ahhh.

And the BESTEST most WONDERFUL is Patty Ice choking and Tommy the Tank stealing the win!!!!

Thread Information