Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast

Thread: LIV Golf

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Same thing clown
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Can someone explain to me the diff between the DP world tour and PGA tour with regards to LIV

Why can Rory play in Dubai for Saudi money on the DP tour.. but not play on the LIV tour for exactly the same thing?

I dont understand the moral high ground of the PGA and DP tours.

(serious question.. not looking for the cynical side)

Member Club Pro

Is it the case the DP World Tour haven't banned LIV players from their events, where as the PGA have?

BTW has LIV set up any sort merit based qualification process yet, or do they intend too?

Saudi sportswashing now targeting the Womens Football World Cup which in Aus and NZ next year, neither countries FA were made aware of.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Euro tour is now formally a feeder tour to the PGA tour and actually a second tier one behind the KFT tour. So the PGAT is generally fine with its players playing down on a subsidiary tour, but not LIV because LIV is openly competing with them and based mostly in the same market.

There’s no moral or ethical argument to support it. It’s just business.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Dubai money is not Saudi money. There is a difference. Mind you, some people don't like Dubai money, or Qatar money, or Oman money either, and sometimes for the same reasons. But LIV and the Saudi Investment Fund are being blatant about their intentions, so more people get upset about those intentions.

Anyway, lets talk golf.

Its a big day for LIV, even though the Saudi event is officially an Asian Tour event. I would expect almost all the big names who are there to become LIV guys by the end of this event, or shortly after. Surely the only reason Cameron Young is there is to sign the contract, or nut out some finer point details before jumping ship.

At least we get to see this event on Fox and Kayo.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    Is it the case the DP World Tour haven't banned LIV players from their events, where as the PGA have?

BTW has LIV set up any sort merit based qualification process yet, or do they intend too?

Saudi sportswashing now targeting the Womens Football World Cup which in Aus and NZ next year, neither countries FA were made aware of.
    The DP world tour banned and fined players who went to LIV but they appealed and there’s a stay so until the case is decided the DPWT has to let LIV golfers play if they’re qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Can someone explain to me the diff between the DP world tour and PGA tour with regards to LIV

Why can Rory play in Dubai for Saudi money on the DP tour.. but not play on the LIV tour for exactly the same thing?

I dont understand the moral high ground of the PGA and DP tours.

(serious question.. not looking for the cynical side)
    I don’t think the source of the money is important other than to give the establishment (tours and media making money from them) the supposed moral high ground.

Golf channel don’t care if Saudi money funds the LPGA because a diminished LPGA doesn’t hurt their bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    The DP world tour banned and fined players who went to LIV but they appealed and there’s a stay so until the case is decided the DPWT has to let LIV golfers play if they’re qualified.
    Thats quite correct and coherent. Have you been drinking?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

So it looks like there is no coverage in Aus unless a US tv app is downloaded.

That's growing the game

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    So it looks like there is no coverage in Aus unless a US tv app is downloaded.

That's growing the game
    The Aus market is 3/5 of **** all on the world stage.

But you stated many times, you don’t care about LIV Benno. What’s brought on the interest from you?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    The Aus market is 3/5 of **** all on the world stage. But you stated many times, you don’t care about LIV Benno. What’s brought on the interest from you?
    My mate was asking me earlier today if I knew.I hadnt seen anything, so tried to find out.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    My mate was asking me earlier today if I knew.I hadnt seen anything, so tried to find out.
    I heard the event in Adelaide sold tickets really quickly. Sounds like the Aussies are hungry to see some big name golfers. It has been a while, if you removed the Presidents Cup.

It’s on some US channel that I hadn’t heard of. Apparently available with a VPN

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I was curious, so I had a look at the LIV website. It says 'please check back later for announcement of international outlets'. It starts in 4 days. They'd better hurry up.

The signing of Brendan Steele, Danny Lee and Dean Burmester must have the PGA quaking in their boots. I felt sure Cameron Young and Lucas Herbert would go, after they played in the Saudi. But apparently not.

There are a couple of interesting things in regard to the 2023 teams. Somehow, Taylor Gooch got moved from the 4 Aces, with their guaranteed big money result, to another team far less likely to win. He must be overjoyed with that. Less mysteriously, a few of the lesser lights seem to have got the bullet, unless they are on standby for emergency duty. No Laurie Canter or Adrian Otaegui, or Andy Ogletree (who just won in Qatar). I hope their one year signon fee was worth it.

I give them six months, and they will fold. They tried, it didn't work, they cut their losses. The players go to the Asian Tour for the rest of the year, beg to be let back in, and promise not to do it again.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I hope their one year signon fee was worth it.
    several players had no 'sign on fee', as they had no contract, just fill ins. and as these guys were not pga tour members, they were not suspended. Thus no negative impact on them at all.
    fairly sure One amateur said he didnt take any prizemoney -which means he kept his status.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

If I was one of the younger LIV brigade like Cam Smith, I think I might look at tournaments like the one at Riviera and maybe I go back to my bedroom and recount my cash or I'm just a bit sad I'm not there.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    If I was one of the younger LIV brigade like Cam Smith, I think I might look at tournaments like the one at Riviera and maybe I go back to my bedroom and recount my cash or I'm just a bit sad I'm not there.
    I am sure the thrill of picking up an extra percentage of your guaranteed money in front of 2000 people in Mexico at the legendary Mayakoba would be the equal of a packed house at Riv.

I'm glad the Open has overnight let those who are qualified play. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I was curious, so I had a look at the LIV website. It says 'please check back later for announcement of international outlets'. It starts in 4 days. They'd better hurry up.

The signing of Brendan Steele, Danny Lee and Dean Burmester must have the PGA quaking in their boots. I felt sure Cameron Young and Lucas Herbert would go, after they played in the Saudi. But apparently not.

There are a couple of interesting things in regard to the 2023 teams. Somehow, Taylor Gooch got moved from the 4 Aces, with their guaranteed big money result, to another team far less likely to win. He must be overjoyed with that. Less mysteriously, a few of the lesser lights seem to have got the bullet, unless they are on standby for emergency duty. No Laurie Canter or Adrian Otaegui, or Andy Ogletree (who just won in Qatar). I hope their one year signon fee was worth it.

I give them six months, and they will fold. They tried, it didn't work, they cut their losses. The players go to the Asian Tour for the rest of the year, beg to be let back in, and promise not to do it again.
    If you add Mito Pereira and Sebastian Munoz to the list it's still isn't earth shattering additions but Thomas Peters is a decent one as he's a young Ryder Cup player with 7 wins on the DP W@orld Tour.

Reported today that both DJ and Garcia have been dropped by Adidas.

Member Club Pro

If you've already got that LIV cash, then dropping some sponsors would be worth the time saved having to do promos, meet and greets etc

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    Bryson also got dropped. The reason given was that he isn't in front of enough eyeballs anymore to justify the sponsorship dollars.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Bryson also got dropped. The reason given was that he isn't in front of enough eyeballs anymore to justify the sponsorship dollars.
    That makes sense.

Strop was smart enough to have WSC broadcast to the masses, for exposure and convert the naysayers (myself included).
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    The Cobra Tour rep had a shot at him after the contract wasn't renewed.

“It was such an asinine statement, especially for a guy who is perceived to be all-knowing when it comes to science and physics, that he said he needs a driver that can be hit anywhere and everywhere across the face and find the fairway.

“With increased speed, demands increase precision. It’s just like a race car. You’ve got to be a better driver when you’re running at 200 miles per hour than you do at 75 (mph) going down I-95.

“He doesn’t believe that. He thinks there is a magic bullet out there. He’s looking for a unicorn.”

Looks like he was also a PIA to deal with.

BULLSH!T, thats not what was reported clown.

A source told ESPN that the 38-year-old Johnson, who had repped Adidas since the start of his professional career, wanted to move in a different direction, in part, because of his shirt.

"As good as the relationship with Adidas has been, it just didn't fit in his plans," the source said. "A major part of starting a team is establishing a brand identity and building that brand. The primary asset is the shirt. ... They want the entire shirt. DJ needed a clean break to start his team. He's grateful to Adidas for letting him out of the deal."

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    BULLSH!T, thats not what was reported clown.

A source told ESPN that the 38-year-old Johnson, who had repped Adidas since the start of his professional career, wanted to move in a different direction, in part, because of his shirt.

"As good as the relationship with Adidas has been, it just didn't fit in his plans," the source said. "A major part of starting a team is establishing a brand identity and building that brand. The primary asset is the shirt. ... They want the entire shirt. DJ needed a clean break to start his team. He's grateful to Adidas for letting him out of the deal."
    I stand corrected, thanks for the reply.

I stand corrected, thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I heard the event in Adelaide sold tickets really quickly. Sounds like the Aussies are hungry to see some big name golfers. It has been a while, if you removed the Presidents Cup.

It’s on some US channel that I hadn’t heard of. Apparently available with a VPN
    https://apps.apple.com/au/app/liv-go...s/id1667210155

Thread Information