Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 33 ... LastLast

Thread: LIV Golf

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Or the Australian Masters.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

The majors are whatever journalists decide they are. They’ve changed before and can change again. The Saudi’s shouldn’t be able to buy a major, but Evian did so it’s possible.

If OWGR doesn’t accurately reflect who the best players in the world are, which it doesn’t without the LIV big names, the majors could just bypass it or kill it off altogether. Would make more sense to invite the top x players on the money list from each major tour, ie top 50 from PGA tour, top 20 from Euro, top 10 from LIV etc.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

I enjoy a good long read - The New Yorker has one on Liv.

Will the Saudis and Donald Trump Save Golf—or Wreck It? | The New Yorker

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

I’m sure Trump would offer his courses as he has plenty in the USA, 2 in Scotland (including Turnberry which was taken off the Open Championship rota) and 1 in Ireland.

The Saudis would just have to include Trump into each event’s name and maybe the Ex President’s Cup.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    I enjoy a good long read - The New Yorker has one on Liv.

Will the Saudis and Donald Trump Save Golf—or Wreck It? | The New Yorker
    Bit of a ramble, but did they didn't answer the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    If OWGR doesn’t accurately reflect who the best players in the world are, which it doesn’t without the LIV big names, the majors could just bypass it or kill it off altogether.
    I think it has problems in the other direction too. Field strength is one of the factors for OWGR points and LIV doesn't have that. There's still a lot of dead wood in their field of 48. Jed Morgan has finished in the top 50 for every LIV event so far. He wouldn't be doing that at any other tour on the planet.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I think it has problems in the other direction too. Field strength is one of the factors for OWGR points and LIV doesn't have that. There's still a lot of dead wood in their field of 48. Jed Morgan has finished in the top 50 for every LIV event so far. He wouldn't be doing that at any other tour on the planet.
    Early stages yet. Compared to the last 2 weeks of the PGA Tour, Liv had far superior, if smaller fields. And the winner of the DP World Tour event is a LIV contracted player also I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Early stages yet. Compared to the last 2 weeks of the PGA Tour, Liv had far superior, if smaller fields. And the winner of the DP World Tour event is a LIV contracted player also I believe.
    If you think the Shriners was FAR weaker than a Liv event, I would say you are wrong.And the DP Winner was discarded by Liv, with no contract

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If you think the Shriners was FAR weaker than a Liv event, I would say you are wrong.And the DP Winner was discarded by Liv, with no contract
    Wasn’t good enough for LIV but won the DP event. Says a lot.

Shriners field was another weak PGA filler event. The leaderboard was very average.

Nice to see Jason Day finished 72 holes. He’d be a prime LIV candidate if they ever shortened events to 36 holes.

But wasn't one of the issues for some players the current length of the season? Hence you have fields of players scrambling to find/keep their place.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    But wasn't one of the issues for some players the current length of the season? Hence you have fields of players scrambling to find/keep their place.
    Major issue for a lot of players.

One (single) major winner vs 11 major winners, sure it wasn't weaker!?

One (single) major winner vs 11 major winners, sure it wasn't weaker!?
    And Bradman averaged 99.94.

He’s no longer the best batsman man in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    And Bradman averaged 99.94.

He’s no longer the best batsman man in the world.
    True, but LIV did have the No. 1 Golfer in the world prior to LIV being excluded from the Rankings. And he was still the highest rank player in either event, even with the distorted current rankings. Which is sort of the point(s), isn't it? I know which field I would go to watch first.

Have a look at the OWGR website, particularly, the participating Tours list down the bottom. How many of these have your actually heard of?, and name the top 3 players in each without looking it up! Sure you may have to adjust the points allocations for the LIV tour to reflect parity, but tell me again why they should be excluded?

https://www.owgr.com/

True, but LIV did have the No. 1 Golfer in the world prior to LIV being excluded from the Rankings. And he was still the highest rank player in either event, even with the distorted current rankings. Which is sort of the point(s), isn't it? I know which field I would go to watch first.

Have a look at the OWGR website, particularly, the participating Tours list down the bottom. How many of these have your actually heard of?, and name the top 3 players in each without looking it up! Sure you may have to adjust the points allocations for the LIV tour to reflect parity, but tell me again why they should be excluded?

https://www.owgr.com/
    Smith never got to number 1

And LIV shouldn’t get points because it’s a closed shop.

And LIV shouldn’t get points because it’s a closed shop.
    There are a number of events on the PGA tour that are invite-only, aren't there? Like the Masters, maybe the memorial? I don't know for sure they get points, but I'm pretty sure they do.

The best argument against OWGR points for LIV is the 54 vs 72 hole thing. OWGR is a 72-hole ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    There are a number of events on the PGA tour that are invite-only, aren't there? Like the Masters, maybe the memorial? I don't know for sure they get points, but I'm pretty sure they do.

The best argument against OWGR points for LIV is the 54 vs 72 hole thing. OWGR is a 72-hole ranking.
    The masters isn’t a PGATour event but one could argue it’s open to anyone. Make it to top 50 in the world and you get invited.

The other limited field events are exceptions to the usual tournament format for the tour so it’s allowed.

I don’t think OWGR is a strictly 72 hole ranking. They allow developmental tours to be 54 holes and award points.

The Masters hasnt been invite only for years. They changed to a set in place qualification model a while back. Howver they still send out invite letters for the tradition of it.

Hence if they dont invite any of the LIV past winners back thats really going to create a stink.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I am thinking this statement was merely a tantrum from a guy who can't believe that people are turning down his offer that can't be refused.

But, thinking caps on, folks. In the hypothetical situation that you would create your own majors, how would you do it? My assumption is that the 'new majors' are open to all, either through a qualify or invite process, so Rory and Rahm and Tiger can play if they want. An LIV only 'major' is impossible.

So, do you, firstly, schedule them against the current majors, two weeks after, or as far away as possible, which I think would mean one in Sep, one in Dec, one in Feb and one in March, which is what I would do.

In my dream world, I'm travelling. One in Scotland, obviously, but South Africa and Australia would be good places in their winter, and perhaps the other in the USA. You'd want great courses if you could get them, and I would have two of them on the same course every year.

If anything happened at all, I wonder who would turn up. I'm sure at least some of the top 20 would do it.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    ..so Rory and Rahm and Tiger can play if they want. An LIV only 'major' is impossible.
    The PGA Tour wouldn't let them play the "new major".

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    They might not be able to suspend them for playing it

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Tour aligned players would have to apply for a release, which would not be forthcoming

Chopperlink

WITB

Default LIV Golf

Tour aligned players would have to apply for a release, which would not be forthcoming
    This is what I was getting at. Would they need a release from the major or only if there was an opposite field event?

Edited to fix a typo/autocorrect.
    Last edited by 3Puttpete; 20th October 2022 at 10:45 PM.

This is what I was getting at. Would they need a release from the major or unit of there was an opposite field event?
    Good point. you're a smart man. I guess No.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

You guys are no fun, taking practical factors into consideration when deciding not to bother speculating about the alternative majors.

Those factors are relevant though. LIV and the PGA will never get together while the two organisations exist in their current form. One will need to fail for golf to come back together.

I remain convinced that Phil and the boys have backed the loser. The Saudi's will conclude they are wasting their money, and may as well redirect it into horse racing, or motor racing, or ballet and opera.

The 'team final' at Doral will be interesting though. It is a genuine alternative to the current product, so if it is well received there may be hope for LIV yet. I might actually watch that one to see what it is like.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Thread Information