Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

Thread: LIV Golf

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Maybe part of the reason they are paying the money they are is to compensate the players for the other big teir events they won't be able to play? Maybe they predicted the who ha from the start??
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

So everyone hates the PGA, but what about the work that they do for the younger generation...putting money into growing the game, especially those that can't afford to play, and the female side of it...if one of the LIV's goals is to take down the PGA, will they take over that area? I doubt it very much considering the fact that Saudi men are not fans of women...I can see LIV walking away from golf entirely if the PGA were to fold...

cheers

col

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by brokey View Post
    So everyone hates the PGA, but what about the work that they do for the younger generation...putting money into growing the game, especially those that can't afford to play, and the female side of it...if one of the LIV's goals is to take down the PGA, will they take over that area? I doubt it very much considering the fact that Saudi men are not fans of women...I can see LIV walking away from golf entirely if the PGA were to fold...

cheers

col
    The Saudis put more money into the LPGA then just about anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    The Saudis put more money into the LPGA then just about anyone.
    That is interesting...can you provide any links to show that...would be a good read....

cheers

col

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

So everyone hates the PGA, but what about the work that they do for the younger generation...putting money into growing the game, especially those that can't afford to play, and the female side of it...if one of the LIV's goals is to take down the PGA, will they take over that area? I doubt it very much considering the fact that Saudi men are not fans of women...I can see LIV walking away from golf entirely if the PGA were to fold... cheers col
    Greh Norman already announced they will be 'growing the game' along the lines you mentioned. He didnt go into great detail but it wouldnt be hard to find that announcement from about a month ago. As Norman said often, LIV is still a 'start up' , they are trying new things and the format now wont be the same later. But no, its not a goal to take down the PGA, Norman has said from the start he wanted to work alongside them. Asian tour happy to do that, perhaps one day we shall see LIV and Asia tour merge.

That is interesting...can you provide any links to show that...would be a good read....

cheers

col
    Google is your friend. Aramco team series.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

So everyone hates the PGA, but what about the work that they do for the younger generation...putting money into growing the game, especially those that can't afford to play, and the female side of it...if one of the LIV's goals is to take down the PGA, will they take over that area? I doubt it very much considering the fact that Saudi men are not fans of women...I can see LIV walking away from golf entirely if the PGA were to fold...cheerscol
    The PGA tour is separate from and competes with the LPGA tour. They do nothing to grow the game for women. And effectively nothing to grow the game of golf itself. It’s a membership organization set up to sell sponsorships that funnel money into its members pockets without consideration of the game of golf itself or even their actual product. Their only other real goal is to neuter every other pro golf tour so they can build and maintain an effective monopoly. They’ve been very effective in achieving that goal. All of that is fine, but let’s not pretend they’re a benevolent entity trying to grow the game.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    The PGA tour is separate from and competes with the LPGA tour. They do nothing to grow the game for women. And effectively nothing to grow the game of golf itself. It’s a membership organization set up to sell sponsorships that funnel money into its members pockets without consideration of the game of golf itself or even their actual product. Their only other real goal is to neuter every other pro golf tour so they can build and maintain an effective monopoly. They’ve been very effective in achieving that goal. All of that is fine, but let’s not pretend they’re a benevolent entity trying to grow the game.
    Yep, it is a Boys Club that hoovers up as much sponsorship and Telecast dollars as it can. It has zero care for any other tours and has destroyed a number of them (Australia's being a classic example) by effectively pricing them out of the market and keeping players away by extending their season etc. The gap between the PGA Tour and the Korn Ferry is actually a chasm. The difference in price money is orders of magnitude, so you could actually argue that it is detrimental to grass roots golf, even in the US.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The PGA Champions tour is more money for the boys club too.

Interesting that Gary Player things Cam made a bad decision given Player is a Golf Saudi ambassador.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/his...smith-liv-move

DP World CEO Keith Pelley Confirms Stance On LIV Players In BMW PGA Field:

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/kei...-bmw-pga-field

"They will not be given any on course competitive disadvantage – i.e. unfavorable tee times – but they will not be required to play in the pro-am on Wednesday and will not be in TV featured groups.”

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

This is also true for LIV, but without the supposed 'charity' component.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    Interesting that Gary Player things Cam made a bad decision given Player is a Golf Saudi ambassador.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/his...smith-liv-move

DP World CEO Keith Pelley Confirms Stance On LIV Players In BMW PGA Field:

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/kei...-bmw-pga-field

"They will not be given any on course competitive disadvantage – i.e. unfavorable tee times – but they will not be required to play in the pro-am on Wednesday and will not be in TV featured groups.”
    Gary Player will shortly explain he was misquoted and taken out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    This is also true for LIV, but without the supposed 'charity' component.
    Agree. LIV and the PGA tour have more in common than they have differences. I bet the Saudis love $24mil driveways too.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Gary Player will shortly explain he was misquoted and taken out of context.
    Or invited to his nearest Saudi embassy

Google is your friend. Aramco team series.
    Thanks for the pointer...found a bit of info about the team series and Saudi Golf...would like to understand why the Saudis sponsor women's golf when the aren't their biggest fans

cheers

col

Thanks for the pointer...found a bit of info about the team series and Saudi Golf...would like to understand why the Saudis sponsor women's golf when the aren't their biggest fans í*¾í´”

cheers

col
    Bidness

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Agree. LIV and the PGA tour have more in common than they have differences. I bet the Saudis love $24mil driveways too.
    Right now, they are both spending big on inferior products to a growingly disinterested market.

Deepest pockets generally will win, and the Saudis have unlimited $

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Right now, they are both spending big on inferior products to a growingly disinterested market.

Deepest pockets generally will win, and the Saudis have unlimited $
    LIV is targeting a different golf fan, not the current, disinterested fan.

Younger, shorter attention spans, with greater focus on the entertainment side.

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    Interesting that Gary Player things Cam made a bad decision given Player is a Golf Saudi Ambassador
    Gary didnt slag off on the Saudis, unlike many critics.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

I want to LIV, I want to give, I crossed the ocean for a heart of gold. Cam smith is scum.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Gary didnt slag off on the Saudis, unlike many critics.
    Gary makes everything about Gary.

Even his big quote had to reference his 9 majors and what he did in his career.

He’s just an obnoxious cheat.

Gary is awesome - leave him alone!
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Regardless of LIV vs PGATour, has professional golf as TV product been more boring.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I don't know? I haven't watched it for like 25 years...
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Thread Information