Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 34 ... LastLast

Thread: LIV Golf

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    LIV should. They need golf tragics like us to talk about their product.So far, most of the discussion in this thread has been PGA Tour bashing rather than LIV praise. Eventually LIV will need to replace their Saudi money with other money, and potential sponsors need to know that people are watching. Australia is one of the few markets that benefit from LIV (because the PGA aren't interested in us), but if Australians don't care, LIV is doomed to fail, even if they take over golf and turn the PGA and Euro Tours into feeder tour for their concept.At this point, only Bushy seems to actually care about what happens at the LIV event. Could he be our resident 'influencer' that LIV needs?
    Dead quiet in PGA thread, you keep talking LIV here but dont actually care.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    This is what I was getting at. Would they need a release from the major or only if there was an opposite field event?
    Ah, yes. LIV should have their majors from Monday to Wednesday, so there is never a clash with the PGA.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Same as always, major status will be assigned retrospectively, based on popularity and marketability of the past winners.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Dead quiet in PGA thread, you keep talking LIV here but dont actually care.
    When there are 10 posts a day in the forum that aren't for sale, why split them across threads?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Blog Entries

To help your arguments of course.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

You guys are no fun, taking practical factors into consideration when deciding not to bother speculating about the alternative majors. Those factors are relevant though. LIV and the PGA will never get together while the two organisations exist in their current form. One will need to fail for golf to come back together.I remain convinced that Phil and the boys have backed the loser. The Saudi's will conclude they are wasting their money, and may as well redirect it into horse racing, or motor racing, or ballet and opera.The 'team final' at Doral will be interesting though. It is a genuine alternative to the current product, so if it is well received there may be hope for LIV yet. I might actually watch that one to see what it is like.
    Dunno about ballet but the Saudis are also moving into cricket in a big way. Watch for all the Aramco signs plastered all over the T20 WC, plus any other ICC tournament for the next few years.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Dunno about ballet but the Saudis are also moving into cricket in a big way. Watch for all the Aramco signs plastered all over the T20 WC, plus any other ICC tournament for the next few years.
    F1 has had Aramco as title sponsors for races for a couple of years.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Yl I remain convinced that Phil and the boys have backed the loser. The Saudi's will conclude they are wasting their money, and may as well redirect it into horse racing, or motor racing, or ballet and opera.
    The Saudis are throwing around so much money the golf is loose change for them. Their goal is to be the next Dubai and thus a fun destination ( except for Yoss of course). Isnt it a trillion dollars building a city inside a 100 miles long wall. Somewhere there is a plan for 20 new golf courses.LIV golf is just a small part of the big plan.

And the idea that they are sportswashing is camelshit. They couldnt care less what the infidels in the west think of them. As far as they are concerned they are the righteous and we are the immoral decadent heathens.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/sau...lf-majors-plan

Comments wrongfully expressed, misrepresented, taken out of context ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    One (single) major winner vs 11 major winners, sure it wasn't weaker!?
    I must have missed it, but how many major winners are in this weeks LIV field?

Chopperlink

WITB

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Watched it. The quaintly named quarter finals, with a really confusing format of top seeds choose their opponent, and then 3 matchplay matches, two singles and a foursomes.

I wanted to hate it, and for a while I did. But by the end i quite enjoyed it, despite the woeful cheerleading commentary and koolaid drinking from all concerned.

Ironically, one of their claims is more golf more quickly, but it was much better after some matches had finished. At that point the coverage had time to actually watch the play unfold rather than just be constant highlights, and the Cam Smith v Mickelson match was genuinely good viewing.

They need to get rid of their deadwood. Laurie Canter v Jed Morgan just doesn't do it. But this format is a winner if they stick to it, even up the talent in the teams and get some genuine depth to the playing roster.

I still hate the entire concept of paying big money just to turn up, but if they did this modified team matchplay thing once a month LIV could be a genuine rival to the PGA. I'd watch it.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

One of my main issues with the PGA Tour schedule is that they have so many events with the wrap around season that we end up with too many tournaments like the one this week. Congrats. to Seamus Power for winning, but, lets be honest, the field for the Butterbean Open was really lacking depth and resembled a fairly average Korn Ferry event. I would prefer them to reduce the number of events dramatically in order to strengthen the overall fields.

At least with LIV, you know that there is a fairly high likelihood of seeing the main guns coming out to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    One of my main issues with the PGA Tour schedule is that they have so many events with the wrap around season that we end up with too many tournaments like the one this week. Congrats. to Seamus Power for winning, but, lets be honest, the field for the Butterbean Open was really lacking depth and resembled a fairly average Korn Ferry event. I would prefer them to reduce the number of events dramatically in order to strengthen the overall fields.

At least with LIV, you know that there is a fairly high likelihood of seeing the main guns coming out to play.
    It’s a nice idea but that’s not why the PGA Tour exists.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

It’s a nice idea but that’s not why the PGA Tour exists.
    Why it exists for the moment …

The PGA Tour exists to provide playing opportunities at full field, full fedex cup point events to players like Kim Swan. Kim wouldn’t win an ozgolf champs. He’s a 65 year old who previously played one PGA tour event, in 1983, where he missed the cut, something he also did in last weeks tour event by shooting +28 for his two rounds.

Legacy, not leverage, it what they’re about. And this is their legacy.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

Which is fine if you only want to watch golf once a month.

Unfortunately, they have forced the PGA Tour to move in the same direction. The two tier system means we get a good event every three weeks, and rubbish in the middle. But we can discuss that in the PGA Tour thread.

Apart from its many other faults, watching a limited LIV field doing strokeplay with only 10 to 15 genuinely competitive players doesn't appeal to me. But the Matchplay format was good.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Also .. the highlight YOUTUBE vids are spectacular.
    no ads, no chatter, just golf shots for 30 mins... awesome.

Phil is a great commentator
    Cam Smith is easily the best player in the world presently.

such a pity no Rory vs Cam.
    Last edited by virge666; 1st November 2022 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    How do you work this out?

How do you work this out?
    Because it is only him and Rory that are playing presently.

So everyone else doesn't count. I like Rory too, but he dont putt like Cam. Cam scored better than his entire team put together on that last event.

So he the best in the world... easily.

(and he is an Aussie, so i do have some bias...)

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post

such a pity no Rory vs Cam.
    Cams choice. He took the money rather than the competition.

He is the best player in LIV. Thats about the only statement that can be made.

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Cams choice. He took the money rather than the competition.He is the best player in LIV. Thats about the only statement that can be made.
    How was the level of competition at the respective tournaments last weekend?

PGA winner shot 20under.Pretty normal score, usual head to head in final round

Comparing the worst event on tour with the Grand Final? Liv wins easyNow, to be fair, lets compare the tour field to the Liv field for the next three months.

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Comparing the worst event on tour with the Grand Final? Liv wins easyNow, to be fair, lets compare the tour field to the Liv field for the next three months.
    Probably about equal for the next 2 of those months TBH. Time to shut it down. Nothing worth watching anywhere stateside until Kapalua. Good to see the Aus PGA and Open happening again though.

That final few holes was a bit of a train wreck for all involved.
    Good to see Austin and Badds in the mix.

Austin needs some putting practice... he missed SO MANY short putts.
    Badds is looking so much better - he finally found a decent coach and that putting stroke is almost back to where it was. Badds inside 100m was proper.
    and good to see a right sided swing win on the PGA tour.

Thread Information