Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast

Thread: LIV Golf

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Hmmm, a bit quiet in here.Where are all the fanboy comments about how great it was to see a guy we have never heard of beating a guy we don't like and a guy who should never be beating the 'top players in the world', if those top players were trying hard. Is it a coincidence that those top players didn't perform when they had to travel?What I really want to know is whether the on-course interviewer asked Sergio whether he was happy in Thailand while the Spanish Open was being played.In a way I'm looking forward to Saudi Arabia, just to see what happens if DJ and Cam and Brooks suddenly develop injuries and can't play.
    Ozgolf posts are how the tours judge their success.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Some key ’s out of the weekend.

- A 22yo has changed his life by displaying quite brilliant golf

- Leish getting amongst it

- Fireballs winning the team event, but more importantly the team event podium going down to the last player on the last hole

- Rory McIlroy AGAIN coming out to say the PGA Tour needs to soften their stance

- Jon Rahm’s statement in his winners press conference on the DP World Tour in support for the winner of the LIV.

- No Laying Up’s Chris Solomon crying over the winner’s eligibility while continuing to d!ck ride for the PGA Tour

Ahhh.

And the BESTEST most WONDERFUL is Patty Ice choking and Tommy the Tank stealing the win!!!!
    I don’t reckon pointing out the idiocy of almost everything coming out of the mouths of anyone associated with LIV automatically makes Soly a PGA tour d*ck rider.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I've said this before, but I don't have a problem with NLU team being vocally supportive of the US PGA Tour. They are American, and it makes sense for them to be chief flag-raisers for their home tour. From memory, at least one of them (DJ?) worked for the PGA at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I've said this before, but I don't have a problem with NLU team being vocally supportive of the US PGA Tour. They are American, and it makes sense for them to be chief flag-raisers for their home tour. From memory, at least one of them (DJ?) worked for the PGA at some point.
    And let's face reality, if they want access to players for the podcast, they'll have a lot more success by supporting the PGA.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    I don’t reckon pointing out the idiocy of almost everything coming out of the mouths of anyone associated with LIV automatically makes Soly a PGA tour d*ck rider.
    Pretty sure they call out the Tour for numerous things as well. They're definitely Pro-American when it comes to TV windows and that sort of thing, but I've listened to most of, if not all of the talk around LIV/PGA and they definitely don't dick ride. Being against LIV doesn't immediately make you pro PGAT. Other than everything that money has bought them, they've failed in almost everything else they've tried to achieve, and most of that is because Greg Norman is a sociopath. The quicker LIV move on from him the better, same goes with the PGAT and Jay Monahan.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Ozgolf posts are how the tours judge their success.
    LIV should. They need golf tragics like us to talk about their product.

So far, most of the discussion in this thread has been PGA Tour bashing rather than LIV praise. Eventually LIV will need to replace their Saudi money with other money, and potential sponsors need to know that people are watching.

Australia is one of the few markets that benefit from LIV (because the PGA aren't interested in us), but if Australians don't care, LIV is doomed to fail, even if they take over golf and turn the PGA and Euro Tours into feeder tour for their concept.

At this point, only Bushy seems to actually care about what happens at the LIV event. Could he be our resident 'influencer' that LIV needs?
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

What makes to think the Saudi money wont last?
    Hardly think the LIV tour is doomed if Australia doesn’t embrace it.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    LIV should. They need golf tragics like us to talk about their product.

So far, most of the discussion in this thread has been PGA Tour bashing rather than LIV praise. Eventually LIV will need to replace their Saudi money with other money, and potential sponsors need to know that people are watching.

Australia is one of the few markets that benefit from LIV (because the PGA aren't interested in us), but if Australians don't care, LIV is doomed to fail, even if they take over golf and turn the PGA and Euro Tours into feeder tour for their concept.

At this point, only Bushy seems to actually care about what happens at the LIV event. Could he be our resident 'influencer' that LIV needs?
    Bushy’s an outlier. He turns the tv on whenever somebody mentions hail the size of golf balls hoping to see someone hole out from a bunker.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Bushy’s an outlier. He turns the tv on whenever somebody mentions hail the size of golf balls hoping to see someone hole out from a bunker.
    I would concur and accept in the consumption of golf product I am an outlier.

However NLU (among others) have built their entire platform based on access to the PGA tour, it’s players and it’s events. They would have no business if it weren’t for the PGA tour. Their conflict of interest is pretty clear in this case yet they are being very public and very vocal in their commentary.

I call that d!ck riding, others may call it “not biting the hand that feeds you”. In a capitalist society there’s nothing wrong with that- just stop arguing that you’re not a d!ck rider.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    I would concur and accept in the consumption of golf product I am an outlier.

However NLU (among others) have built their entire platform based on access to the PGA tour, it’s players and it’s events. They would have no business if it weren’t for the PGA tour. Their conflict of interest is pretty clear in this case yet they are being very public and very vocal in their commentary.

I call that d!ck riding, others may call it “not biting the hand that feeds you”. In a capitalist society there’s nothing wrong with that- just stop arguing that you’re not a d!ck rider.
    I agree completely about them riding, those most strongly opposed to LIV are those who stand to lose money of the PGAT is diminished.

However, I also think pointing LIV’s stupidity could be done by anyone. I’m no PGAT fanboi and it’s clear to me LIV is run by and for idiots.

Are those idiots the yell mash potato crowd?
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

They’re different idiots.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Whilst I do enjoy NLU a lot, they have a narrow focus a lot of the time (ie the USA market)

One quote this week was "who's going to get up at 2am to watch LIV, taking it global doesn't seem that smart" or something very similar.

The fact they cannot (maybe for that one point) see that Asia is a MEGA market for golf, and that the USA doesn't have to tune in, or even like LIV for it to work at all. The game doesn't start and finish with the USA or their market.

It was a little mind boggling not to see that something outside if USA audience could succeed.

I also disagree with Sully's opinion on the OWGR. If a player won an event on a sponsor exemption into an event, he would get all the perks a tour member who "earnt their card" would. So it doesn't hold water.

What may hold water is the amount of OWGR points they get at Liv vs a bigger tournament, but not the point getting entirely.

Regardless, the fresh comments from Jack Nicklaus stating the PGA is now two tiers is also 5 years late. It has been for a long time (big events and the rest) and it'll only get worse with the further elevation of events.

For me, being able to watch a great event on a Sunday afternoon live was a change and a good one at that

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    What makes to think the Saudi money wont last?
    Hardly think the LIV tour is doomed if Australia doesn’t embrace it.
    The money should last but MBS may lose patience with Norman not getting more of the top 10-20 players signed up.

I think LIV is more concerned with getting a (or the) leading player from each country rather than the bulk of the top 20 or so, to generate interest from that country. If you look through the list of the players they have, you can see that picture developing.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Whilst I do enjoy NLU a lot, they have a narrow focus a lot of the time (ie the USA market) ...
    Some really good points in here. Again, as I have said before, if the LIV brainstrust have any brains (and I agree with others that is debatable) they would be going full-bore after India, China, South Korea and Japan. Win those markets over and the US PGA will really start to panic.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

One quote this week was "who's going to get up at 2am to watch LIV, taking it global doesn't seem that smart" or something very similar.

The fact they cannot (maybe for that one point) see that Asia is a MEGA market for golf, and that the USA doesn't have to tune in, or even like LIV for it to work at all. The game doesn't start and finish with the USA or their market.

It was a little mind boggling not to see that something outside if USA audience could succeed.
    Neil said that - and I rolled my eyes. I jumped on the stream on the last hole or two on Sunday, and there were less than 20000 viewers.

in prime time for Australian and Asian markets, for free on a streaming platform, this tells me that its a product without much of an audience.

Can't imagine Jeddah in an even less friendly timeslot for the US will get huge numbers either.

The final in Florida will be MAGA central, so I will happily avoid that anyway.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Yeah I honestly don't know how the numbers stack up against other sports.

The live stream has 363,000 views now and the highlights 140,000. I don't know how much I trust the numbers with either (as you can buy views) but the PGA tour highlights had 111,000 views from the last event.

What's seems good and what is might be a different game all together.

With how bad the broadcasts seem to be on the PGA tour, it seems a lot of people watch it on delay / record it and skip the ads. Not ideal moving forward for the PGA tour who needs to sell that ad space for more $$ or sell more ad time.

its only the first season. I seem to remember World Series cricket flopped for attendance in the first season, probably due to resentment from many over the breakaway competition.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Whilst I do enjoy NLU a lot, they have a narrow focus a lot of the time (ie the USA market)

I also disagree with Sully's opinion on the OWGR. If a player won an event on a sponsor exemption into an event, he would get all the perks a tour member who "earnt their card" would. So it doesn't hold water.

What may hold water is the amount of OWGR points they get at Liv vs a bigger tournament, but not the point getting entirely.

Regardless, the fresh comments from Jack Nicklaus stating the PGA is now two tiers is also 5 years late. It has been for a long time (big events and the rest) and it'll only get worse with the further elevation of events.

For me, being able to watch a great event on a Sunday afternoon live was a change and a good one at that

This comment Jumped out massively on the podcast....I watched the LIV golf as it was Saturday Arvo, whilst I was pottering around the house.... not seeing the global appeal.
    Why exactly do I need to answer to you?

Nullarbor Cup Record 4-0-0
    UnCivil War Record 2-0-0
    GSM Best Finish: 1st
    Vic Champs Best Finish: Tied 4th
    Number of Times beating DC: 1

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    its only the first season. I seem to remember World Series cricket flopped for attendance in the first season, probably due to resentment from many over the breakaway competition.
    Initial resentment and having to streamline the product in the face of pushback i.e. good pitches, grounds, advertising etc. It took a while to streamline and sell the product but it certainly exploded in due time.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesy View Post

This comment Jumped out massively on the podcast....I watched the LIV golf as it was Saturday Arvo, whilst I was pottering around the house.... not seeing the global appeal.
    I’m on a Toronto golf forum and the sentiment is the same.

It’s not just the way they view LIV , it extends beyond that.

This week one guy was saying that Srixon and Mizuno will always be minor brands and never take off until they market the product more. nNo realisation that there is a market outside NA.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I’m on a Toronto golf forum and the sentiment is the same.

It’s not just the way they view LIV , it extends beyond that.

This week one guy was saying that Srixon and Mizuno will always be minor brands and never take off until they market the product more. nNo realisation that there is a market outside NA.
    *Toronno

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

6300 viewers currently.

I am one until the rain stops at Manuka

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Thread Information