Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wedge fitting

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Wedge fitting

Ok I’m going for a wedge fitting tomorrow. In my mind I’m thinking 3 wedges gap, sand and lob. Any questions I should be asking or things I can know to make the fitting run smoother?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Maybe an understanding of loft, grind, and bounce, not that I do. I should get a wedge fitting too, but I can't justify that much money on a few clubs.

Bounce and lie angle is probably what's important for us weekend hackers. Know whether you're a sweeper or a digger determine how much bounce you need and the correct lie angle will help with the push or pull.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Major Winner

Should you be carrying a lob wedge?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    Should you be carrying a lob wedge?
    Currently have a 54 and 58. Use the 54 for half shots and chipping around the green. The 58 I use out of bunkers or open it up for flop shots, pretty consistent hitting a flop unless it’s off a tight lie

I would just buy jado's sm9's

Quote Originally Posted by noren View Post
    Bounce and lie angle is probably what's important for us weekend hackers. Know whether you're a sweeper or a digger determine how much bounce you need and the correct lie angle will help with the push or pull.Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Pretty sure I’m a sweeper, don’t take divots on normal shots. Been trying to get the divot after the ball but gave for now. Will revisit that part later in the year when I can put the practise in to hit down more

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The person doing the fitting should cover everything if they are any good at their job. Know how far you hit your PW and what your ideal gapping situation will be.

I use my lob wedge mainly for sand and shots around the green where I need to get it up quickly. I focused on those areas when trying the lobbies.

I basically tried to use the clubs in the fitting the way that I would use them the majority of the time on the course.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Are the wedge shafts the same length as your irons?

EG: 1/2 inch over??

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If he suggests 4 degree gaps, ask why.

Some wedges are set up same length, therefore the distance gap is reduced if loft increments are not increased. Plus, distance gaps narrow in long clubs and widen in short irons ( ping specifically recognises this)

I have 5 degree gaps from LW(5 down to 8(3iron... result is 1 less club.

Salesman not gonna tell you this.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

All done. Ended up with a 50/08, 54/10 58/08 can’t reminder grinds.Was a good experience and glad I did it. The difference in the same loft but different bounce was bigger then I thought it would be. I asked not to be told what club I was given. At one point it was a high bounce 54 or 56 and straight away I didn’t like it (shot was a 50m pitch) could see the leading edge and all confidence evaporated
    Last edited by bdoug10; 1st June 2022 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    If he suggests 4 degree gaps, ask why.Some wedges are set up same length, therefore the distance gap is reduced if loft increments are not increased. Plus, distance gaps narrow in long clubs and widen in short irons ( ping specifically recognises this)I have 5 degree gaps from LW(5 down to 8(3iron... result is 1 less club.Salesman not gonna tell you this.
    He went with let’s get a club for this distance rather then just loft gaps.Hit shots from 100m, 90m, 80m, 50m then flicks over bunker, bunker shots, half wedges.The 50 was an easy pick I hit it pretty good straight away for the 90m shot. 54 chosen for 80m and if the rough is thick. The hardest getting the last one, 58 was chosen over a 60 i had to try hit to hard to get the 50m shot. Wasn’t much difference out of bunkers for me with 58 vs 60. I really need to work on bunkers hitting way to far behind the ball. Was told try hit the bottom of the ball and that worked better but hard for me to adjust my aim point to so close to the ball, felt like I would knife it

bounce suited to your swing, if ur a digger then higher bounce might suit better and if ur a swooper........... less bounce, thats what i find ive a steep angle attack and low bounces wedge for me as a rule,........................suck.
    srixon zr-30 9.5* - diamana X 70s
    kasco fd 12.8 *- diamana stinger 70s
    royal collection 304p 15* - diamana X 70s
    royal collection sfd 3 19* - crazy black ut xs
    yamaha 2009 forged 5/pw - NS prototype 2g18s
    yonex shinagawa 50/56*- ns super peening orange
    fourteen mt-28 60* - ns 950s
    odyssey 2 -ball exo

badly missing, links.

Thread Information