Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default I broke my wrist playing golf

I’d been having pain in my left wrist on the pinky side for quite a few months, managing it pretty successfully with beer & voltaren. I hadn’t been to a Dr about it but with all the rain that we’ve had & not playing as much it was a good opportunity to let it heal. I hadn’t hit a ball in awhile but when I did the pain was present straight away & actually worse. I had a couple of big match play comps coming up recently so I started practicing & playing more frequently to dial it in & deal with whatever was happening afterwards. Pain was still there & unfortunately led to quite a few shanks as I wasn’t able to grip it with 100% strength but still manageable.
    So I’m booked in to play last Thursday at Glenmore Heritage & I’m actually hitting the ball really well , looking forward to the events I was in for Saturday/Sunday, still with discomfort but doing ok. I get to the Par 3 9th, playing 139m wind into us from the right. I hit a PW stinger with a little draw, minimal contact with the turf & as soon as I hit it i hear a massive crack & feel two big movements in my wrist. I let the club go & say “I’ve broken my wrist”. I lose all strength in my hand & it starts to swell.
    I leave after that & head straight to a medical centre, phoning on the way to make sure they do X-rays, casts etc. I didn’t go straight to the hospital as I had trailer on my car. I get dicked around no end & after getting X-rays the Dr tells me to come back 3pm Saturday to get results as he tells me he’s not working until then & he doesn’t know if it’s broken because he’s not a radiologist.
    I’m wife works nights & I’ve got two young blokes so I don’t go to the hospital until Friday morning. Nepean hospital looked after me amazingly. By this stage my hand is a balloon, they have to cut my wedding ring off & I get all necessary scans.
    I dislocated my wrist although it went back in, got a big break in my hamate & ligaments are a mess although still intact. Surgery was the first option but whilst the ligaments are intact they wanted to look after them first. I now have a cast on my hand & arm for two months to immobilise my hand/arm/wrist hoping they repair themselves. The shitty part is the success rate of the bones healing is pretty ordinary so surgery could very well happen when the cast comes off unfortunately.
    I was lucky enough to have qualified equal first in a big match play Comp that I’ve been trying to win for the last 15 years & without being a wanker, I was a massive chance but the final was played last Sunday. The course should have been closed & rescheduled but they went on with it.
    At this stage even without surgery & being optimistic I’m looking at 4-6 months away from golf. If surgery happens we’re looking at 9-12 months. All this from a game of golf.
    I’ll cop the injury but the hardest part is golf is a massive part of my life. When things aren’t going well at home/work I know I can get some breathing space on the golf course.When I’m not playing or practicing all I ever bloody think about is golf, even with kids, work etc going on. With my addictive personality I & the way my brain works I now have to find something else to occupy me or I’ll go even more nutty.
    Appreciate the opportunity to rant boys, my apologies if it’s a little all over the place but beer & endone will do that to you.
    Cheers
    Jado

Senior Member Major Winner

Wow. That's sad to hear what a mess it's made and that you'll be out of action for a while. All the best with the recovery which ever why it pans out.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Wow. That's sad to hear what a mess it's made and that you'll be out of action for a while. All the best with the recovery which ever why it pans out.
    Thanku brotha, no sob story just can’t believe I did it swinging a golf club haha. It might be safer to play footy
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

That sucks. I hope you can find something else to occupy your time and have a full recovery.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Beer and Endone, those were the days! Heal up fast.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I can’t believe you typed all that with one hand!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Hope it ends up being the quick option for you Jado. That really sucks.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    That sucks. I hope you can find something else to occupy your time and have a full recovery.
    Depends on which wrist it is
    Forum needs more banter.

Cheers boys yep left one busted. Still took me ages though as I’ve got no feeling in my right index finger from a previous surgery , so I can see if I’m touching something but can’t feel it & my middle finger is bent to buggery to the right from breaking it a bunch of times so texting is a punish at the best of times.
    Lucky I had plenty of time on the fire pit trying to crap after too many Endone’s.
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Had the same thing 10 years ago in my right wrist.

Shattered the hamate and tore the ligaments.

The surgeon wanted to see if it would heal on its own first, and I waited a couple of months in a cast, then we opted for surgery.

It sucks and the strength never totally returned to the hand / wrist

Just like you it built up with some pain, then finally gave way on one clean swing.
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

Member Club Pro

Shit mate - no good at all.

Hopefully you heal up fast and can get back out there.

Thread Information