Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.

View Poll Results: Which dominant eye type are you?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Same side dominant

7 46.67%
  • Cross dominant

8 53.33%
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Whats your dominant eye?

Most of you would know we humans have a dominant eye, but perhaps you havent thought about how it might affect your golf. I have recently learned, its much more significant than I thought. As golfers we are one of two types.
    1. Same side dominant, ie play golf right handed, and right eye dominant ( or for left handed, left eye dominant)
    2. cross dominant, ie play golf right handed, and left eye dominant ( or vica versa)

If you dont know what you are - google it simple test.
    If i remember correctly, dominant eye is relied on for accurate positioning, the other eye is for distance.

We are affected in two ways - should all make sense if you think about it.
    - a same side dominant golfer can lose sight of the golf ball if his backswing is too long.
    - a cross dominant golfer has much less trouble aiming because his dominant eye is on the side of the target.

Now apparently, 70% of people generally are same side dominant, BUT, about 70% of best golfers in the world are cross dominant, thats a statistical anomoly!
    further, most cross dominant golfers have fairly orthodox golf swings, Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus for example,
    and many same side dominant golfers have quirky swings, like Jim Furyk

probably the same effect applies batsman in cricket, and might explain why some people prefer to play a two handed sport cackhanded, perhaps the reason it felt better for them, is because of the dominant eye.

Knowing which is your dominant eye might help your golf, especially if you are same side dominant, as there are a few things you can do to help yourself out. Added a survey here to see if it is true that 70% of golfers are same siders.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 21st April 2022 at 09:33 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I’m left handed, play golf right handed and right eye dominant, what’s that combo mean

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug10 View Post
    I’m left handed, play golf right handed and right eye dominant, what’s that combo mean
    same side dominant. You play golf right handed, and have dominant right eye.

your natural hand has no relevance to the question
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I am left eye and left hand Dominant. I had laser correction years ago and now have "Monovision". My left is my close vision focused eye, the right my longer distance focus.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

your natural hand has no relevance to the question
    Actually, it does. Almost every person picks up and throws a ball in a cross dominant combination. Anything you do side-on, you'll lead with your dominant eye.

The primary factor in determining your handedness is what your parents did, but if one parent was right and the other left handed, most people will finish up being cross dominant.

Of course there was also the old way of thinking that right was better (or easier) and many parents tried to guide their lefthanded kids to become righthanded.

I'm not sure you can apply this to golf, unless you are 8 years old and picking up clubs for the first time.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Right handed golfer, Right eye dominant. Never ever been able to aim for shit! Tend to be too far to the left.
    I write left handed, I throw and catch left handed (was fun with softball) but bat right handed. In waterpolo I caught and threw right handed. Basketball I can only do jump shots right handed but standing shots only left handed. I could never work out my dominant foot for running. Swimming I breath to the left. Both parents and sister are completely right handed. Rob is also left handed, and both our kids are completely right handed.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Another right handed golfer with a dominant right eye. Messes with alignment but also with ball position in my stance. I tend to think the ball is further forward in my stance than it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by NewyMitch View Post
    Another right handed golfer with a dominant right eye. Messes with alignment but also with ball position in my stance. I tend to think the ball is further forward in my stance than it really is.
    Is your head rotated to the right in your setup like Jack Nicklaus?
    --
    Handy-Cap

Is your head rotated to the right in your setup like Jack Nicklaus?
    I honestly wouldn't have a clue, it's probably worth trying to get a photo to check though.

So what’s the next step here? How do we help our golf games knowing this? Very intrigued…

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dee cee View Post
    So what’s the next step here? How do we help our golf games knowing this? Very intrigued…
    I think it is what Blakey has described above, if you are same side right eyed, tilt your head a little to the right to let your dominate eye hone in on the ball for longer.

I am same sided and continue to struggle with alignment.

Senior Member Major Winner

As we all know, I'm a bit of a phuckwit enigma. Turns out I'm left eye dominant, but for the majority of things I'm right handed. I golf lefty and eat lefty (knife and fork around the other way), and can hit a baseball left or righty equally as badly, but everything else is righty.

I know I'm phucked, but HOW phucked is the question here...
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Is this a rhetorical question?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    As we all know, I'm a bit of a phuckwit enigma. Turns out I'm left eye dominant, but for the majority of things I'm right handed. I golf lefty and eat lefty (knife and fork around the other way), and can hit a baseball left or righty equally as badly, but everything else is righty.

Have a few extra cans and don't worry about it.

According to that little test I'm left eye dominant but play right handed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Is this a rhetorical question?
    On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd say 25.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    According to that little test I'm left eye dominant but play right handed.
    Interestingly, me too.

Interesting in the fact that I never knew which was my dominant eye until now.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Interestingly, me too.

Interesting in the fact that I never knew which was my dominant eye until now.
    Courty, start a thread, check with the club and see if you can become right eyed.

Neither did I, although my right eye is less blurred than my left if I'm not wearing contacts or glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by dee cee View Post
    If you are same side dominant you need to apply more attention to your alignment, because its harder for you to do so accurately. Such as picking a small spot in front of the ball to aim over.

Watch Jacks eyes in this video, you can see when he picks a spot and then checks it 3x. Thats a careful routine and he is cross dominant! https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cc8J9iaFyed/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

And take care that you dont lose sight of the ball in your dominant eye on the backswing.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 1st May 2022 at 01:37 PM.

That is something I've never really noticed as an issue when playing, losing sight of the ball in my backswing. Now that I think about it, I never do lose sight of it.

Kelsey, your left eye dominant... you dont have to worry about it. Losing sight of the golf ball for you would be pretty hard to do
    --
    Handy-Cap

Kelsey, your left eye dominant... you dont have to worry about it. Losing sight of the golf ball for you would be pretty hard to do
    Yeah, it just never occurred to me why I don't. I do lose sight of it after I hit it sometimes though 😅

If you are same side dominant you need to apply more attention to your alignment, because its harder for you to do so accurately. Such as picking a small spot in front of the ball to aim over. Watch Jacks eyes in this video, you can see when he picks a spot and then checks it 3x. Thats a careful routine and he is cross dominant! https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cc8J9iaFyed/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= And take care that you dont lose sight of the ball in your dominant eye on the backswing.
    I've only just started picking a spot in front of the ball recently and it's definitely been helping with my alignment. It still doesn't help when you pull it 15m left...

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I am cross dominant (left eye focus, played right hand)

Doesn't help much thu. Still can break 80 on a good day and barely break 100 on a bad day, the lateral case is more often however

Thread Information