Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Hats to you lefty for trying this. Most people struggle to get below 10 (myself included) playing the same way for years. For you to already be good at golf they decided you want a different challenge is pretty cool

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug10 View Post
    Hats to you lefty for trying this. Most people struggle to get below 10 (myself included) playing the same way for years. For you to already be good at golf they decided you want a different challenge is pretty cool
    You've got his motivation all wrong.

Best I can do left handed is upside down wedge swung left handed goes alright

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    As an aside, went to the Srixon fitting day on Friday and got fitted for ZX7's with Nippon Modus3 120g X-flexes (7-iron SS of 92mp/h), while I also hit three of the most pure shots of my life with the Srixon Utility Iron. Looks like a few dollars will be leaving my bank account soon....
    That’s a pretty good swing speed playing righty, is 92mph normally an x, or is it borderline stiff?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

With a 7 iron that aint even close to stiff.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    With a 7 iron that aint even close to stiff.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    That’s a pretty good swing speed playing righty, is 92mph normally an x, or is it borderline stiff?
    Anything >90 with a 7 iron is basically an X. Admittedly the Modus3 120g is one of the "nicer" X flexes, but it's still definitely an X. Plus the X is required to bring my ball flight down too.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

This. Anything >90 with a 7 iron is basically an X. Admittedly the Modus3 120g is one of the "nicer" X flexes, but it's still definitely an X. Plus the X is required to bring my ball flight down too.
    What’s the speed on the other side? 100+

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug10 View Post
    What’s the speed on the other side? 100+
    With a 7-iron? No chance.

Tour Pros are only swinging 7 iron 90-95 also. They just have everything maximised to always hit centre clubface, optimum launch angles and spin levels etc. And they do it effortlessly too. Mine's lacking control, LOL.

Actually, just looking at my Cool Clubs fitting I was only swinging a lefty 6 iron at 86.

Someones data don't seem right...
    GolfMap

Yeah that’s odd

I did a swing speed test yesterday with a 7 iron which had some gadget attached to the shaft to measure it. Was about 88mph and recommended DG S300. If I swung lefty it would probably be half that 🤣

Another bloke on the "journey". Swings it pretty good

https://twitter.com/GregChalmersPGA/...lU2yElwo_w6bkg

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Another bloke on the "journey". Swings it pretty good

https://twitter.com/GregChalmersPGA/...lU2yElwo_w6bkg
    Bah, just some camera trickery, trying to deceive us....

Cheeky bugger.
    GolfMap

First time out with the righty set this year, and have officially shot my first right handed round "under 'cap". 87-16-71. As is always the case right handed though, an adventurous way to get there.

A lovely topped drive on 1 lead to an easy double to start the day, and missed an easy 5 footer on 2 for par.

Back to back pars was then followed by a chunked tee shot and another double on 5. Bogey on 6, and a lovely "jug" for putting off the green on 7 lead to another double. Relatively uneventful bogeys on 8 and 9 resulted in a 10 over par 47 on the front.

Made a solid start on the back nine, parring the 10th, 12th and 13th, with a penalty shot for hitting it in the piss off the tee causing bogey on 11. Another chunked tee shot on the long par 3 14th caused my second "jug" of the day, but managed to save bogey by actually hitting a chip somewhat like a golf shot. Hit a lovely driver and 4-wood combo to be just short of the par 5 15th in two, but temporarily forgot how to play golf and walked off with furiously frustrating bogey. Managed to somehow get through the tough 7th with a bogey, meaning if I made a par and a bogey on the 17th and 18th I'd shoot under cap for the first time.

I made a lovely pressure 4-footer (I know, right!?) on 17 for the par and a knuckleball driver down the last to be around 130m out, in the right rough. With a scary back left flag on 18 I just wanted to hit centre green and try and make the two-putt, but I slid under and blocked the PW into the bunker, forcing me to rely on my short game "skills". They were non-existent yet again, and I had to make another pressure curling 2 footer (2 in a row, get ****ed!) for the bogey. It went in, resulting in a 5 over par 40 on the back nine, and the rest is history.

3 / 14 effective tee shots
    3 / 18 GIR
    4 / 15 Up n Downs
    32 putts
    6 pars
    9 bogeys
    3 doubles

Horrible stats, really, but shows you don't have to hit every fairway and green to get the ball around, and most importantly it was my first triple-bogey free round.

So that's the first handicap reduction that has taken place, 15.5 in to 14.9. Now to build on this, one or two more fairways, one or two more GIR and more importantly, a better up and down ratio and I can hopefully push towards the mid 80's consistently.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Is it difficult to dumb your golf brain down to your righty handicap? ( for lack of better way of phrasing that) so that you play within yourself.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

First time out with the righty set this year, and have officially shot my first right handed round "under 'cap". 87-16-71. As is always the case right handed though, an adventurous way to get there.

A lovely topped drive on 1 lead to an easy double to start the day, and missed an easy 5 footer on 2 for par.

Back to back pars was then followed by a chunked tee shot and another double on 5. Bogey on 6, and a lovely "jug" for putting off the green on 7 lead to another double. Relatively uneventful bogeys on 8 and 9 resulted in a 10 over par 47 on the front.

Made a solid start on the back nine, parring the 10th, 12th and 13th, with a penalty shot for hitting it in the piss off the tee causing bogey on 11. Another chunked tee shot on the long par 3 14th caused my second "jug" of the day, but managed to save bogey by actually hitting a chip somewhat like a golf shot. Hit a lovely driver and 4-wood combo to be just short of the par 5 15th in two, but temporarily forgot how to play golf and walked off with furiously frustrating bogey. Managed to somehow get through the tough 7th with a bogey, meaning if I made a par and a bogey on the 17th and 18th I'd shoot under cap for the first time.

I made a lovely pressure 4-footer (I know, right!?) on 17 for the par and a knuckleball driver down the last to be around 130m out, in the right rough. With a scary back left flag on 18 I just wanted to hit centre green and try and make the two-putt, but I slid under and blocked the PW into the bunker, forcing me to rely on my short game "skills". They were non-existent yet again, and I had to make another pressure curling 2 footer (2 in a row, get ****ed!) for the bogey. It went in, resulting in a 5 over par 40 on the back nine, and the rest is history.

3 / 14 effective tee shots
    3 / 18 GIR
    4 / 15 Up n Downs
    32 putts
    6 pars
    9 bogeys
    3 doubles

Horrible stats, really, but shows you don't have to hit every fairway and green to get the ball around, and most importantly it was my first triple-bogey free round.

So that's the first handicap reduction that has taken place, 15.5 in to 14.9. Now to build on this, one or two more fairways, one or two more GIR and more importantly, a better up and down ratio and I can hopefully push towards the mid 80's consistently.
    You are almost a better right handed player then I am right now . Got to love golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Is it difficult to dumb your golf brain down to your righty handicap? ( for lack of better way of phrasing that) so that you play within yourself.
    I must say it is a bit, yeah. Obviously any ball that's not in an ideal situation the first thought that comes to mind is how to escape it, and that's usually with the left handed mindset. I then have to check myself, and realise that A) I move the ball a different direction right handed, B) I don't have anywhere remotely near the fine control over it righty as lefty, and C) I don't HAVE to play the miraculous escape shot as I don't HAVE to make par. Most of the times it's not an issue, but I have hit a number of shots where it wouldn't be too much of a problem for lefty, but ol' righty thinks he's just as capable. And that's when the triples start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucasto23 View Post
    You are almost a better right handed player then I am right now . Got to love golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm sure you'd still be shooting the lights out if you played semi-regularly bud.
    GolfMap

Your first 4 stats look kinda like mine, but with 5 to 10 more strokes to the score!
    I think I posted about it a while ago, but I read an article regarding the average stats recorded by accos???? for golfers of various hc's up to tour pro, and they really didn't look flattering for the scores shot. Even the average TP stats weren't what you'd think.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Considering the tee shots on 1, 5 and 14 the net 71 shows that with a bit of righty short game focus you could be as low as you want.

Did you win the B grade medal?

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Considering the tee shots on 1, 5 and 14 the net 71 shows that with a bit of righty short game focus you could be as low as you want.

Did you win the B grade medal?
    I'd have placed 6th (winning the Countback) in B grade, nowhere near it. Ironically I'd have been outright runner-up in A grade.

Clearly all the burglars are in B Grade.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Clearly all the burglars are in B Grade.[/QUOTE]

always been the case in every club!

First time out in a while (barring some heavily drunken shenanigans at CoC), but ran the righties today.

A definite tale of two halves, with a few misses right early, managing to catch a couple of cart paths and hazards. Made some miracle recovery shots / up and downs / putts to keep the 2-pointers rolling though, and was only 8 over the card / 1 over cap through 8 holes, before things clicked.

3 consecutive regulation pars on 9, 10 & 11 got the round on track, disappointingly followed by a couple of soft bogeys. Hit the 205m par 3 14th and 2-putted for 3 more points, then hit a laser 3 wood from 225m on 15 that never left the flag, finishing 3 foot dead behind the cup, which was tapped in for 4 points.

Miracle 5/2 on 16, then drained a 20-footer for birdie on 17 for 3 more points. Solid drive down 18 and a wedge to centre green, 2 more putts for a 4/3 and 18/25 for 43 points.

Gross 45-35-80 (first even par 9 right handed)
    First eagle

7/14 Fairways
    8/18 GIR
    4/8 Up N Downs
    30 putts

Cap drop from 14.9 to 12.2
    GolfMap

Member Trainee Pro

At the risk of giving you a big head mate, that's an elite level of coordination. Very impressive
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Quote Originally Posted by rickie prowler View Post
    At the risk of giving you a big head mate, that's an elite level of coordination. Very impressive
    No chance of a big head here mate, if I've learnt one thing and one thing only from this ****y game it's that I know my next 95 is waiting just around the corner.
    GolfMap

No chance of a big head here mate, if I've learnt one thing and one thing only from this ****y game it's that I know my next 95 is waiting just around the corner.
    Well, I wasn't that far off....

Handicap down to 12 after my last round, I started well with 2 regulation pars before the third came and bit me on the ass like it always does, left OR right handed. Wiped that, and with a couple of 3 pointers and a couple of one pointers turned in 16 points.

Par, bogey, bogey, par though the first 4 holes had me back to just one over cap before disaster struck on 14, taking double. Recovered with a par on 15, and that's basically all she wrote. A wild drive on 16 lead to a wipe, a pushed tee shot and failed up and down on 17 garnered a point, and a bladed wedge on 18 finished the job for another wipe. 28 points through 15 and a decent chance to again shoot in the mid 80's would've been nice, to finish with 29 was very disappointing.

7 / 14 Fairways
    6 / 18 GIR
    30 putts (2 holes of pre-green wipes though)

Still need to work on the short game, costing too many shots at this stage.

No handicap movement, still 12.2...
    GolfMap

https://twitter.com/i/status/1744081974401114163

Chris Kirk didn’t touch his right-handed clubs for two months after BMW Championship. He leaned into practicing his lefty game and shot his best score of 82 in the fall.
    Last edited by PerryGroves; 8th January 2024 at 06:41 AM.

Thread Information