Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1744081974401114163

Chris Kirk didn’t touch his right-handed clubs for two months after BMW Championship. He leaned into practicing his lefty game and shot his best score of 82 in the fall.
    82? Pffft, amateur....

Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

It's a funny game, right-handed...

Dusted off the bats for a game righty on Friday, first time out in about 7 months.

Birdied the first with a nice 7 iron to 10 feet, never a good sign. 3 consecutive cheap bogeys soon "normalised" things. Made a nice up and down par on 5, followed by back to back bogeys on 6 and 7 to sit at 4 over through 7, still fairly happy with proceedings.

Hit a lovely fading 8 iron on 8 to 12 feet and made the putt, followed by a nice up and down birdie on 9, through the front in 2 over 37.

Immediately went to shit on the back nine, basically topping my drive off 10. Drained a 10 footer for bogey to save one there, and made a weak bogey from 80 out on 11. Followed that up with a 3-putt bogey on 12, THEN followed that by failing an easy up and down on 13 to be sitting 6 over through 13.

Managed to drain a curling 15 footer for par on 14, before hitting the flop shot of my life (admittedly a low bar right handed) to set up a 6 foot birdie on 15 to get back to 5 over. Seeing the finish line of <80 within my reach I immediately hit a 40m block off 16, ending deep in the trees. Punched out to safety on an adjacent fairway, I hit 9 iron over trees from 134 that was ALL OVER the flag. Reached the green to see it had gone long, and I then failed to get up and down. 7 over, not looking good.

Hit a lovely 8 iron on 17 that just drifted on the breeze, finishing on the fringe about 12 feet away. Badly needed to make it to give myself some breathing room on the last. Rolling, rolling, rolling, stopped. Dead in the heart, 3 inches short. ****ing idiot.

Par required down the last to break 80.

Hadn't missed a drive left all day, and left is NOT the place to miss it on 18, so where do I hit it??? Ha ha, nope, fooled you, I went HARD right. Google Maps tells me I missed centre fairway by about 80m. Not the worst miss, except for the MASSIVE greenside gum tree blocking any sort of access to the back pin, and hitting it to the front is not really an option as its SUPER narrow depth-wise there and guarded by bunkers long and short. Just have to go for it.

Absolutely flush it straight at the flag (and of course therefore, tree). Collects the tree and drops in the mounds about 15m short. Ruh roh, have to rely on short game, I'm in trouble. Pull the 58° to the left, leaving an approximate 20 footer, a hard sliding left to-righter of about 15 inches. Tell my self no matter what do not leave the ****ing thing short. Put a really good roll on it with perfect pace, and the thing absolutely drops in centre cup, tracked the line the entire way. 70-****ing-9, unbelievable.

79-12-67 (41 points)
    4 Birdies
    4 Pars
    9 Bogeys
    1 Double

8 Fairways hit
    5 GIR
    27 Putts
    8/15 Up n Downs

Handicap now down to 10.7, and by my calculations I need to have an 82 or better in one of my next two rounds, or back to back 84/85 to hit 9.3 and officially make it to single figures, even if it is only for a fleeting moment...

Attached Images
    Last edited by LeftyHoges; 22nd April 2024 at 12:26 PM.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Must admit, this is impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If you throw a club left handed when playing right, do you get DQ'd?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Hoges, that is bloody amazing work, seriously impressive stuffMost players don't get to singles on their dominant hand.Do you love the game more right handed?

Nicely work Hoges.

Now both Hoges are officially better than Simmsy.

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Hoges, that is bloody amazing work, seriously impressive stuffMost players don't get to singles on their dominant hand.Do you love the game more right handed?
    Thanks bud.

I suppose technically I do "love the game more right handed" (because it would be impossible not to, right?), but the far more accurate statement is absolutely "I hate the game less".

But as the cap comes down the hate level increases, so it's the self-inflicted pressure that seems to be the driving force behind the hate, but the level of pride won't allow me to Ned my way out on either hand.

I'm trapped by my own expectation structure.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Nicely work Hoges.

Now both Hoges are officially better than Simmsy.
    Simms is back down to 7.4, I've got a looooong way to go to catch him.
    GolfMap

thanks Hoges and congrats mate. amazing effort.

and thanks for correcting canuck. never once has he told the truth on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post

Dusted off the bats for a game righty on Friday, first time out in about 7 months.

Birdied the first with a nice 7 iron to 10 feet, never a good sign. 3 consecutive cheap bogeys soon "normalised" things. Made a nice up and down par on 5, followed by back to back bogeys on 6 and 7 to sit at 4 over through 7, still fairly happy with proceedings.

Hit a lovely fading 8 iron on 8 to 12 feet and made the putt, followed by a nice up and down birdie on 9, through the front in 2 over 37.

Immediately went to shit on the back nine, basically topping my drive off 10. Drained a 10 footer for bogey to save one there, and made a weak bogey from 80 out on 11. Followed that up with a 3-putt bogey on 12, THEN followed that by failing an easy up and down on 13 to be sitting 6 over through 13.

Managed to drain a curling 15 footer for par on 14, before hitting the flop shot of my life (admittedly a low bar right handed) to set up a 6 foot birdie on 15 to get back to 5 over. Seeing the finish line of <80 within my reach I immediately hit a 40m block off 16, ending deep in the trees. Punched out to safety on an adjacent fairway, I hit 9 iron over trees from 134 that was ALL OVER the flag. Reached the green to see it had gone long, and I then failed to get up and down. 7 over, not looking good.

Hit a lovely 8 iron on 17 that just drifted on the breeze, finishing on the fringe about 12 feet away. Badly needed to make it to give myself some breathing room on the last. Rolling, rolling, rolling, stopped. Dead in the heart, 3 inches short. ****ing idiot.

Hadn't missed a drive left all day, and left is NOT the place to miss it on 18, so where do I hit it??? Ha ha, nope, fooled you, I went HARD right. Google Maps tells me I missed centre fairway by about 80m. Not the worst miss, except for the MASSIVE greenside gum tree blocking any sort of access to the back pin, and hitting it to the front is not really an option as its SUPER narrow depth-wise there and guarded by bunkers long and short. Just have to go for it.

Absolutely flush it straight at the flag (and of course therefore, tree). Collects the tree and drops in the mounds about 15m short. Ruh roh, have to rely on short game, I'm in trouble. Pull the 58° to the left, leaving an approximate 20 footer, a hard sliding left to-righter of about 15 inches. Tell my self no matter what do not leave the ****ing thing short. Put a really good roll on it with perfect pace, and the thing absolutely drops in centre cup, tracked the line the entire way. 70-****ing-9, unbelievable.

79-12-67 (41 points)
    4 Birdies
    4 Pars
    9 Bogeys
    1 Double

8 Fairways hit
    5 GIR
    27 Putts
    8/15 Up n Downs

Handicap now down to 10.7, and by my calculations I need to have an 82 or better in one of my next two rounds, or back to back 84/85 to hit 9.3 and officially make it to single figures, even if it is only for a fleeting moment...

This disgusts me.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    This disgusts me.
    You've always been a cranky little ****, lighten up mate, it's just a game. Have fun.
    GolfMap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Well done, Hoges.

I'm trapped by my own expectation structure.
    Any way out of this for either side? It's something I've been working on the last couple of years with success, but I haven't reached the level that you have on your left.

You've always been a cranky little ****, lighten up mate, it's just a game. Have fun.
    Have fun? If that’s all you’re doing, you’re making a mockery of the game.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

It's much easier on yourself if you significantly lower your expectations! It worked for me at uni.

As far as making a mockery of the game - it actually is a fantastic example of how much of the game is mental! Yes, of course physical ability comes into it, but just having the head for it can go a long way. With some dedication, and talent thrown in.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    It's much easier on yourself if you significantly lower your expectations! It worked for me at uni.

As far as making a mockery of the game - it actually is a fantastic example of how much of the game is mental! Yes, of course physical ability comes into it, but just having the head for it can go a long way. With some dedication, and talent thrown in.
    If all you’re doing is enjoying it, not obsessing over your score and letting it determine your behaviour and attitude for the whole week, what’s the point?

Just love how everyones trashing on Lefties happy place.

Just be happy he found one.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

If all you’re doing is enjoying it, not obsessing over your score and letting it determine your behaviour and attitude for the whole week, what’s the point?
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Well done, Hoges.

Any way out of this for either side? It's something I've been working on the last couple of years with success, but I haven't reached the level that you have on your left.
    Thanks mate.

I can't see it, no. It's funny because in pretty much every other aspect of my life I'm more than happy to live by the mantra "close enough is good enough", but sports? **** no. You've hit that perfectly acceptable shot thousands of times before, you should be able to hit it every time. You're shit if you don't.

OK, you've convinced me. I'll hate the game.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Just love how everyones trashing on Lefties happy place.

Just be happy he found one.
    **** off I have. No golf is ever a happy place.
    GolfMap

Thanks mate.

I can't see it, no. It's funny because in pretty much every other aspect of my life I'm more than happy to live by the mantra "close enough is good enough", but sports? **** no. You've hit that perfectly acceptable shot thousands of times before, you should be able to hit it every time. You're shit if you don't.

OK, you've convinced me. I'll hate the game.

**** off I have. No golf is ever a happy place.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Thanks mate.

Agreed. There comes a point where you realise that you aren't going to improve so either you need a new challenge or walk away because there is no point doing this shit anymore.

More power to you for going backhanded.
    Forum needs more banter.

79-12-67 (41 points)
    4 Birdies
    4 Pars
    9 Bogeys
    1 Double

8 Fairways hit
    5 GIR
    27 Putts
    8/15 Up n Downs

Could you ever see yourself abandoning left-handedness and going righty full time?

Sent from my Nokia 3210
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Agreed. There comes a point where you realise that you aren't going to improve so either you need a new challenge or walk away because there is no point doing this shit anymore.
    This is why so many very good golfers we know, turn pro,dont make it then they walk away from the game forever. I am sure you have seen it a lot too. Sad to see wasted talent, in the sense that as amateur, they could still be amongst the best in town, but they seem to have lost the love for the game when they made playing it a job.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    This is why so many very good golfers we know, turn pro,dont make it then they walk away from the game forever. I am sure you have seen it a lot too. Sad to see wasted talent, in the sense that as amateur, they could still be amongst the best in town, but but they lost the love for the game when they made playing it a job.
    There are a lot of ex-PGA in real estate. It's probably more rewarding than playing the Monday stableford tour for over 50's.
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Could you ever see yourself abandoning left-handedness and going righty full time?
    I couldn't imagine.

I think the only valid reason for abandoning lefty completely would be if I was better righty, and I genuinely can't see that happening any time soon.

The only caveat would be that I can now see taking up righty putting full time, as I'm slowly getting to the point where my mid and long range putting righty is starting to equal my left, and I'm only about 6732% better righty inside 3 feet, so picking up a shot or two from the missed short ones isn't cancelled out by the 3-putts from long range, and the missed 6-10 footers that I make lefty.
    GolfMap

I couldn't imagine.

I think the only valid reason for abandoning lefty completely would be if I was better righty, and I genuinely can't see that happening any time soon.

The only caveat would be that I can now see taking up righty putting full time, as I'm slowly getting to the point where my mid and long range putting righty is starting to equal my left, and I'm only about 6732% better righty inside 3 feet, so picking up a shot or two from the missed short ones isn't cancelled out by the 3-putts from long range, and the missed 6-10 footers that I make lefty.
    Why not both?

I played with a bloke recently who carried left and right handed putters.

Although I would imagine your decisions have a bit more thinking behind them than “sometimes it looks like a right handed putt, sometimes left”

Thread Information